Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
When my dog was a puppy, there were a couple of times that I let his cheap plastic water dish go dry. He proceeded to rip those bowls to shreds.

Years ago, when I first got married, we were living in a small duplex where the kitchen was directly off the living room, we had a cat that used to get really upset when his food in the bowl got low. I kept his food and water on a stand (about 3 1/2 ft tall) I built in the corner by the fridge so the dog couldn't get at it. We had a futan sofa at the time in the lvg room, and when you were sitting there you could see the stand and fridge in the kitchen. The cat would sit on top of the fridge and stare at the bowl then stare at me, back and forth. After awhile, if I hadn't gotten up and put his food in the bowl, he would jump down to the stand and slap the bowl, usually still with some food in it, onto the kitchen floor, then hop down and sit in the doorway staring directly at me. If I still didn't budge, he would come into the lvg room, sneak behind the futan, and starting reaching from behind digging into my side with his claws until I got up and got his food. Of course I used to egg it on just to watch his routine every day.

Weirdest cat I ever had. He also liked to sit in the driveway while I stood at one end and skipped rocks at him while he dodged them, which we did on several occasions until he finally caught one between the eyes and he had enough of that. One day driving home I was a few houses down from the house and noticed him sitting about by the street waiting for me. I stopped the car and he walked down the street and hopped on the car and I drove down to the house with him sitting there like a hood ornament. Each day after that he would be sitting there and I would stop further down the street each time and he would run down and jump on the hood for his daily ride. He did that for a few weeks and I guess finally bored with it.

Years ago, when I first got married, we were living in a small duplex where the kitchen was directly off the living room, we had a cat that used to get really upset when his food in the bowl got low. I kept his food and water on a stand (about 3 1/2 ft tall) I built in the corner by the fridge so the dog couldn't get at it. We had a futan sofa at the time in the lvg room, and when you were sitting there you could see the stand and fridge in the kitchen. The cat would sit on top of the fridge and stare at the bowl then stare at me, back and forth. After awhile, if I hadn't gotten up and put his food in the bowl, he would jump down to the stand and slap the bowl, usually still with some food in it, onto the kitchen floor, then hop down and sit in the doorway staring directly at me. If I still didn't budge, he would come into the lvg room, sneak behind the futan, and starting reaching from behind digging into my side with his claws until I got up and got his food. Of course I used to egg it on just to watch his routine every day.

Weirdest cat I ever had. He also liked to sit in the driveway while I stood at one end and skipped rocks at him while he dodged them, which we did on several occasions until he finally caught one between the eyes and he had enough of that. One day driving home I was a few houses down from the house and noticed him sitting about by the street waiting for me. I stopped the car and he walked down the street and hopped on the car and I drove down to the house with him sitting there like a hood ornament. Each day after that he would be sitting there and I would stop further down the street each time and he would run down and jump on the hood for his daily ride. He did that for a few weeks and I guess finally bored with it.
I used to have a cat that was rather inventive in the games that she played also. I think cats are more playful than dogs in that manner.

My goal isn't to plumb the depths of logical consistency, but to present common sense arguments. I'm basing my assumptions on a few situations where the total exposed population is somewhat bounded: healthcare workers, Diamond Princess, and South Korea. Those limited populations are following a similar trajectory that conflicts with the assumptions brought by those who posit that there are far, far more cases than known.

My interest isn't in being right, or driving fear, or politics, or any of that nonsense. My only interest is in trying to arrive at the best truth among the many being offered. I am a small business owner and am concerned for the welfare of my employees. I just want to make the best decisions I can right now, knowing that my decisions may affect how many get sick, lose their jobs, or even die.
If you eat cheese on a fish sandwich you have zero common sense so I stopped reading there.

SO i was coming back from my run today at Edgemoor and Melton Lake in Oak Ridge and cop stops me and says there is an ongoing investigation. I wait for about 10 minutes then another cop asks for my info and there are cops everywhere. He tells me its a homicide and that after giving my info I could leave. Well my car is blocked by fire trucks and cop cars so I call my wife to come get me. She had decided to take a nap so I walked back home for three hours. She woke up when I was on Oak Ridge turnpike and picked me up. Interested to see what they say about the murder on the news.

SO i was coming back from my run today at Edgemoor and Melton Lake in Oak Ridge and cop stops me and says there is an ongoing investigation. I wait for about 10 minutes then another cop asks for my info and there are cops everywhere. He tells me its a homicide and that after giving my info I could leave. Well my car is blocked by fire trucks and cop cars so I call my wife to come get me. She had decided to take a nap so I walked back home for three hours. She woke up when I was on Oak Ridge turnpike and picked me up. Interested to see what they say about the murder on the news.
Did you ask if you were being detained?

Did she simply not answer the phone so you assumed she was napping or did she tell you that she was taking a nap and that you were on your own?

giphy.gif

Did she simply not answer the phone so you assumed she was napping or did she tell you that she was taking a nap and that you were on your own?

giphy.gif

She said she was napping in the sun with the ringer off. It's not out of character but I was pretty miffed. She has to score some points.

So essentially us people making under 25 dollars an hour are being punished for working while also having a higher chance of being infected with the virus since we are not able to quarentine.

You have a job. The others don't. If you lose your job then you can obtain your more-than-your-making-now $$$.

Do you think some areas should or will be opened up for lack of a better phrase, before others and it would make sense. However, maybe an order to not cross state lines or really travel non essentially but have a 250 plus gathering while other states or areas still 10 plus?
Difficult question, and one I'm glad I have no part in trying to answer. I think it will largely come down to modeling of new cases as they come to light. The CDC will be doing this, and I'm sure some state health departments are as well. I would imagine that the CDC will give general guidance about a level of new infections that is considered to be not likely to continue to push further infections forward, and would not recommend reopening things until this level is reached. That guidance would then go to the states along with an analysis of their current picture, and decisions can then be made at a more granular level with state elected and health dept leadership. I know that everyone on the public health side is acutely aware of the economic impacts and just wants to reach a minimum safe threshold prior to making the call. Clearing some counties that have had minimal impact before others that have had widespread infections likely makes sense, but there are a few considerations that I think may make them err on the conservative side. First is the desire not to be responsible for acting too early, rekindling the pandemic locally and causing more harm. Second is that for small business owners, for example a restaurant, another week of closure might be less financially impactful than being cleared to restart, buying a bunch of food and supplies, rehiring workers and doing a deep clean only to be shut back down when cases begin to crop up again. That could be the final straw. Third is how long the lag time is between initially affected areas (international airport cities) and areas that began to be affected significantly later and how spread differs in rural areas vs more densely populated cities. It's likely to be a patchwork decision that's very heavily weighted to local data. I'm sure that lots of people are already losing sleep over this question, and I don't envy them.

OH, I thought you were going to say that they told you that you fit the description.

Clay is being quite disingenuos here, leaving out the obvious difference. The prior estimates were based on nothing being done. I didn't see anywhere in the article he said it was wrong...Clay just spitballing there.

Original estimate:
"The report, which warned that an uncontrolled spread of the disease could cause as many as 510,000 deaths in Britain"

New estimate after restrictions:
"He said that expected increases in National Health Service capacity and ongoing restrictions to people’s movements make him “reasonably confident” the health service can cope when the predicted peak of the epidemic arrives in two or three weeks. UK deaths from the disease are now unlikely to exceed 20,000, he said, and could be much lower"
All of us are hoping for the "much lower."

So essentially us people making under 25 dollars an hour are being punished for working while also having a higher chance of being infected with the virus since we are not able to quarentine.

And this is why some folks took exception with the bill. We should definitely be helping people maintain through this crisis, but we shouldn't be encouraging people to take advantage of the system.

I for one appreciate that when I do sneak out to the grocery store there's still stuff there. So, for what it's worth, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back