Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think healthcare is the only essential service, you are sadly mistaken.
I edited my post. Regardless, I've seen that comment a handful of times. I think people are putting way too much stock into what "essential" work is.

Most jobs are essential jobs... It's a matter of scaling time. It isn't as if the global economy can keep this up forever, and it's not like people will put up with it forever either.

Not that it will have some massive impact, but leading people to believe any job that doesn't provide food, water, shelter, or medicine is now obsolete is silly.

I edited my post. Regardless, I've seen that comment a handful of times. I think people are putting way too much stock into what "essential" work is.

Most jobs are essential jobs... It's a matter of scaling time. It isn't as if the global economy can keep this up forever, and it's not like people will put up with it forever either.

Not that it will have some massive impact, but leading people to believe any job that doesn't provide food, water, shelter, or medicine is now obsolete is silly.
All the people who’s comment you've seen a handful of times are right...

Further more. No one said some careers aren’t needed but, I’m willing to bet women’s studies, 76 gender studies and basket weaving 101 aren’t gonna keep food on the table during trying times...

Reactions: Big Orange#1
Disagree wholeheartedly with this statement. One should not get into Healthcare unless you have a passion for helping people... Much like teaching.

Outside of that, there is nothing wrong with being a truck driver or store clerk, but I wouldn't call them covetable careers.
I would be absolutely shocked if we have many truck drivers in 20 years. Maybe for Brinks trucks or other high security shipments, but common trucking will likely be automated no later than that.

Same for taxis/ubers.

Reactions: headhunter15
Thanks 3rd degree. Ordered a book on using Python to automate various things. Think I will begin there and mix in some statistical/data stuff.

I've used tableau before for an analytics course and loved it. But I think my student license expired and it is like a grand otherwise. Sort of like SAP...tough to learn programs that are so expensive or only have enterprise packages.
Yeah, we have an enterprise license which is nice. So much easier than graphing in Excel. There is a free public option (Tableau Public). Not sure how extensive it is though.

You are still completely wrong on essential personnel jobs. Lol again those aren’t the only people who are essential personnel.

More people, less jobs. Should work out great
Yup, I get it. Just like automating checkouts at grocery stores, ATMs, etc. The tech will increase some jobs, but unlikely anywhere to the number lost (one point of efficiency). A few really good jobs will replace a large number of low level jobs. The fact is it will happen regardless.

Hopefully the added value of efficiency spreads out. We could move to shorter work weeks, innovation could create more jobs than it destroyed, or minimum guaranteed incomes could be initiated.

The added efficiency could greatly reduce shipping and overhead for many companies and reduce costs to many goods for all.

All said, I usually find the concern over human job losses to automation as historically overblown. Not that this time will necessarily be the same. It tends to create very good jobs itself. Someone has to program, manage, repair, maintenance these systems.

As an example, the internet originally caused mass concerns over job losses and yet global efficiency, wealth, and those rising out of poverty, have continued to grow and grow.

press conference today dr f said most Americans are not even going to feel sick. But SS knows 2 million are going to die in America yet only 14k so far in the world. Get off Facebook and msnbc

I am absolutely not stating that 2M people will die. I'm explaining what it means for the R0 to be 1.5 to 3.5 with a 1% mortality. The entire purpose of the social distancing is to reduce R0. I'm just trying to explain why these measures are important. And for the record, my numbers didn't come from Facebook, they came from epidemiologists.

I personally believe that we'll have a decent treatment option soon and most of this will over by summer.

How many lives are worth it? We'll never know how many lives were saved, but how many would it have to be for some of you all to think these extreme measures are worth it?

It's not that simple. If the goal is to not have any deaths or as few as possible and to stop it at any cost, then why do we not take the same measures every year for the flu?

It's pretty predictable we're going to have millions get the flu in the US EVERY year, and hundreds of thousands hospitalized, and tens of thousands die. CDC estimates that so far this season we've had as many as 54 million get the flu. 54 million. And 59,000 die from it. Even with the vaccine available. Again, this is normal and predictable. Yet we don't take nearly these same measures to stop it.

The flu is just one example I could give. No, this isn't about keeping the deaths as low as possible.

It's not that simple. If the goal is to not have any deaths or as few as possible and to stop it at any cost, then why do we not take the same measures every year for the flu?

It's pretty predictable we're going to have millions get the flu in the US EVERY year, and hundreds of thousands hospitalized, and tens of thousands die. CDC estimates that so far this season we've had as many as 54 million get the flu. 54 million. And 59,000 die from it. Even with the vaccine available. Again, this is normal and predictable. Yet we don't take nearly these same measures to stop it.

The flu is just one example I could give. No, this isn't about keeping the deaths as low as possible.
We are set up to handle the regular flu and minizimize those deaths. We stress getting vaccines and can handle hospitalization rates. Not this.

1-2m dead, not 59,000. Upwards of 33 years of the flu, all at once. I'm not sure if that even includes the possibility of what happens if the system exceeds capacity. Case rates wouldn't increase, but mortality would significantly.

Either way, to compare the flu to covid at up to 34x more deaths, in a single year, makes no sense.

We are set up to handle the regular flu and minizimize those deaths. We stress getting vaccines and can handle hospitalization rates. Not this.

1-2m dead, not 59,000. Upwards of 33 years of the flu, all at once. I'm not sure if that even includes the possibility of what happens if the system exceeds capacity. Case rates wouldn't increase, but mortality would significantly.

Either way, to compare the flu to covid at up to 34x more deaths, in a single year, makes no sense.

This is what doctors will tell you too.

Deaths surpassed 400 today....up to 600 cases in Georgia with 23 deaths. 3.8% mortality rate.

Somebody set up a COVID-19 tournament or a least a poll to lighten this thing up. Base it on total confirmed cases in the US and Tennessee. Leave deaths out of it - just a bit too morbid. Winner gets bragging rights until this time next year when we revisit it over the next we-are-all-gonna-die crisis.

The only real difference between this outbreak and the normal flu is that nobody has any immunity to this virus at all. This appears to be a brand new bug, where is the flu has had similar strains in the past but some people have an immunity to.
Even if that's true, and I'm not 100% certain that's exactly accurate (about it being that closely related to the flu that is), that there is no immunity and it is extremely contagious are the two main reasons all these preventative measures are in place.

Not because it's definitely gonna kill everyone or is currently in the process of doing so... Like some believe.

Cause if I get it.. I'd most likely be fine and get over it... But if I gave it to my parents who are both in the at risk demographic, it would likely kill one or both of them.

So it is what it is.... It's not about the healthy.. It's about not spreading it to the high risk demo, and ensuring that the healthcare industry will continue to have capacity and resources to deal with those that will get it, AND NEED MEDICAL ATTENTION. Not to mention to also still be able to treat non-cv19 related issues as per normal.

Doing what we're doing now should accomplish that while hopefully getting us back to as close to normal as possible, as quickly as possible.

That's the goal here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back