Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the smartAss response. I detected some in your post and I can’t help myself. It is extreme. Their petition (not mine) stated we have 7-10 days (as of yesterday) before widespread cases overwhelm the system.

Happens man. Anyways, I’m not taking this situation lightly. I understand the complications of this virus and “what could happen” regarding the need for ventilators. I understand that if this thing were to spread like wildfire there would not be enough ventilators to sustain those that need them.

Makes anyone feel better due to my job I have to get on an airplane tomorrow and fly to Boston where this crap is way worse then the area I am currently in. Lol.

Well there are currently somewhere close to 10,000 active physicians in Tennessee. My point to the 1500 is that a governor doesn’t need to issue an order when all of these people have been given guidance on what to do. It has been made known to distance yourself, only take necessary trips, etc. the Governor doesn’t need to reiterate this and make it worse by giving a mandated “order.” Especially with the cases in Tennessee being as low as they are right now.

I don’t know the correct answers right now. But just because the other 8500 didn’t sign doesn’t mean they disagree. Time is essential, and maybe it’s difficult to get all 8500 to sign. Maybe they are busy treating people. Your answer was kind of asinine.

Again, I don’t have the answers, but I know that I am still limiting my contact to the public. If I understand correctly, the order has nothing to do with actual numbers. It has to do with the “spike” of numbers and how more could effect our healthcare system. People got to stop thinking they have absolute answers. As I will say for the 100th time, discuss it with the health professionals that you know and trust.

I don’t know the correct answers right now. But just because the other 8500 didn’t sign doesn’t mean they disagree. Time is essential, and maybe it’s difficult to get all 8500 to sign. Maybe they are busy treating people. Your answer was kind of asinine.

Again, I don’t have the answers, but I know that I am still limited my contact to the public. If I understand correctly, the order has nothing to do with actual numbers. It has to do with the “spike” of numbers and how more could effect our healthcare system. People got to stop thinking they have absolute answers. As I will say for the 100th time, discuss it with the health professionals that you know and trust.

Correct. Read up. I just stated that. Again, a shelter in place “order” is an extreme measure that isn’t needed right now. The Federal and State Governments have given the proper guidance on what to do. People need to follow it.

Sorry for the smartAss response. I detected some in your post and I can’t help myself. It is extreme. Their petition (not mine) stated we have 7-10 days (as of yesterday) before widespread cases overwhelm the system.

Do you feel the next 7-10 days doing what we are doing will make it where that won’t happen? Also, are you addressing just Tennessee?

Correct. Read up. I just stated that. Again, a shelter in place “order” is an extreme measure that isn’t needed right now. The Federal and State Governments have given the proper guidance on what to do. People need to follow it.

I did read up, and your response was still asinine. What the governor did changed nothing for Davidson and Shelby Counties. They had already done it. It’s not a true shelter in place order. It closes bars and restaurants except for take out and closes gyms and places that will have 10+ people.

Happens man. Anyways, I’m not taking this situation lightly. I understand the complications of this virus and “what could happen” regarding the need for ventilators. I understand that if this thing were to spread like wildfire there would not be enough ventilators to sustain those that need them.

Makes anyone feel better due to my job I have to get on an airplane tomorrow and fly to Boston where this crap is way worse then the area I am currently in. Lol.
He is getting roasted by pretty much every physician I know. Like I posted earlier there’s no good answer either way. I’m still waiting on accuracy in mortality rates. The problem with this entire ordeal has been lack of testing. That has left us with a bunch of “what if” scenarios.

Do you feel the next 7-10 days doing what we are doing will make it where that won’t happen? Also, are you addressing just Tennessee?
The physician petition was just our state. The statement was “point of no return” in 7-10 days.

Lack of testing has me sitting here guessing/hoping. I think a lot of that is happening.

The physician petition was just our state. The statement was “point of no return” in 7-10 days.

Lack of testing has me sitting here guessing/hoping. I think a lot of that is happening.

Well North Carolina and South Carolina are not sheltering in place, however, they have issued the same guidance that Tennessee just issued.

On top of that North Carolina has currently 255 positive cases and South Carolina has currently 173.

On top of that UNC developed their own COVID-19 testing kits and is carrying out constant testing.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Lol it isn’t a stupid answer. It’s a factual statement. 413 cases 6 million people. A shelter in place “order” basically taking your freedom away is an extreme measure. That isn’t needed at this time for the state of Tennessee.
It's about numbers not near enough have been tested . There trying not to over run the health care providers.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX

Swine flu had six figure death rate and 27k hospitalized per month. Why didn’t we do any of this then? Even Italy won’t approach that death rate and by all intents and purposes, they were screwed with nothing to help them have a chance with this

Several people seem to be relying on the low number of "actual cases" bring reported. A reported case is one where the person has been tested and has received actual confirmation of having the virus. But there is no way to know the number of people who have the virus and haven't been tested, or are waiting to get their results (which can take days) or have the virus and are asymptomatic and, therefore, probably won't ever get the tests although they can transmit the virus.

The numbers are going to dramatically increase. It's my opinion the halfway measures announced by Gov. Lee today will have little to no effect.

Several people seem to be relying on the low number of "actual cases" bring reported. A reported case is one where the person has been tested and has received actual confirmation of having the virus. But there is no way to know the number of people who have the virus and haven't been tested, or are waiting to get their results (which can take days) or have the virus and are asymptomatic and, therefore, probably won't ever get the tests although they can transmit the virus.

The numbers are going to dramatically increase. It's my opinion the halfway measures announced by Gov. Lee today will have little to no effect.
Agreed

I did read up, and your response was still asinine. What the governor did changed nothing for Davidson and Shelby Counties. They had already done it. It’s not a true shelter in place order. It closes bars and restaurants except for take out and closes gyms and places that will have 10+ people.
All this order will do is what the larger cities in TN have already been doing.

Swine flu had six figure death rate and 27k hospitalized per month. Why didn’t we do any of this then? Even Italy won’t approach that death rate and by all intents and purposes, they were screwed with nothing to help them have a chance with this

It’s 100% the unknown. Flu doesn’t scare people for some reason. Remember I agree with you on this stance about the flu. Like I’ve said for weeks, mortality rates that are skewed because lack of testing in my opinion. My guess is instead of finding out the hard way the mortality rates are accurate, they are going with extreme measures.

Your not wrong.

But the point trying to be made here is that if "the result being death" is the only part of this that is worthy of attention/discussion... Well as far as death tolls go, there are much more deadly things out there that have never gotten the attention this has.

Again, if death tolls are the standard...

That is the problem... The headline on this has predominantly been death tolls and mortality rates... As if that's the only thing worth measuring. And in doing so it's invited the "well what about x's death tolls?" And it's then easier to explain away... So really for many pushing the 'deadly' aspect of this has had the opposite affect.

And that is a function of what the media has decided to push...

So again... The biggest danger here is how contagious it is. And if it spreads.. as a function of more diagnoses, It will in turn kill more people and more people will get sick.
And in that Scenario the issue then becomes long term ramifications for the economy and the healthcare industry's ability to respond... Capacity and resources are the bigger issue. Which in turn, would negatively affect mortality rates.

So to prevent that... Do this. Simple.

And it doesn't require political agendas or media overdosing.... Neither of which have actually helped lately.

But for those saying most people won't be affected by this medically to a significant degree are correct.... And it's not wrong to say so....If it doesn't spread drastically and go unchecked.
The only real difference between this outbreak and the normal flu is that nobody has any immunity to this virus at all. This appears to be a brand new bug, where is the flu has had similar strains in the past but some people have an immunity to.

Reactions: Rishvol
Was seriously just gonna leave this one alone, but decided to answer anyway. Talk about selfish? You had better hope your company doesn't find out how you feel. You are thinking of only you. Not those families that need to keep working.

I said my companies are open. I figured it would be a tldr post if I told all of the preventative steps we are taking. You're the one that just assumed I'm chasing dollars, when in fact I'm losing money doing what I'm doing. I'm taking care of my people as long as I can, because as soon as i shut them down, they will be making a fraction of what they are now...if anything.

Oh and by the way...every single one of my employees got an extra $500 in their check (actually a separate check) Friday. Across all businesses. Just to help with extra expenses while trying to stockpile or whatever they need it for.
For one idc if my company finds out. I take care of my elderly mother who is sick. If I take it back to her and she gets sick, she might be that 1% none of you care about. I know it’s a really big inconvenience or non issue to 99% of you but to me it’s a really big deal.
The measures you have taken are really good and admirable. The company I work for has not.

Instead of arguing over the seriousness of it all let’s talk about what’s going change change in our world because of it. What innovations do y’all see coming about? What changes in industries are going to take place? More remote workers? More people utilizing home delivery of food?
Short-term yes.

Long-term more companies will ready themselves to have remote work as an option. Many are not set up properly atm. Companies offering teleconferencing, collaborative and communication software, remote desktop security, etc will get a lot of new business.

It’s 100% the unknown. Flu doesn’t scare people for some reason. Remember I agree with you on this stance about the flu. Like I’ve said for weeks, mortality rates that are skewed because lack of testing in my opinion. My guess is instead of finding out the hard way the mortality rates are accurate, they are going with extreme measures.

No, I get that and wasn’t using Swine as a reason to not do anything. We probably SHOULD HAVE done something. But WHY do you think perhaps non medically speaking why those Not in the medical field are doing things differently?

Last edited:
I'd recommend starting with Python and learning numpy and BeautifulSoup. Add some shell scripting and a dose of visualization (Tableau is pretty good). Then work your way into R for more complicated analyses.
Thanks 3rd degree. Ordered a book on using Python to automate various things. Think I will begin there and mix in some statistical/data stuff.

I've used tableau before for an analytics course and loved it. But I think my student license expired and it is like a grand otherwise. Sort of like SAP...tough to learn programs that are so expensive or only have enterprise packages.

Reactions: 3rdDegreeVol
No, I get that and wasn’t using Swine as a reason to not do anything. We probably SHOULD HAVE done something. But WHY do you think perhaps non medically speaking why those Not in the medical field are doing things differently?

I don’t exactly recall that time, but it appears the swine flu lasted a while. I found an article where the NBA was putting some plans in place for their regular season in case it got worse. Players were tested during the preseason that year. So, it was going into September/October.

Reactions: volatil
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back