Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Random Q: when did y’alls kids give up the Paci?

Just before his 10th birthday.

Just kidding it was 2.5 and my daughter never really liked them but both my kids will still chew on all kinds of stuff.

I can't have a fountain drink without one of them taking it while I'm not looking and welding the straw shut with their teeth.

Random Q: when did y’alls kids give up the Paci?
About 18 months. My wife had the brilliant idea that "paccies wear out" and publicized this widely. Can't buy more, because they only sell them to babies. A few days later, we gathered them all up and she used sharp scissors and trimmed off the tip to the point where it barely broke the seal. Every few days, a little more was lost until they had to be clenched between her front teeth to not fall out of her mouth. Our daughter eventually walked into the kitchen one morning and threw them all away herself. It was a similar seamless transition with all 3 kids. Very little drama. Mainly disbelief at the poor construction of the paccies that would allow such a thing to happen.

Y’all know QB position will work itself out. We all pushed for and wanted someone other than JG. They weren’t much better. They were more inconsistent. Turns out he actually was our best option to win.

Just because he’s coming back doesn’t necessarily mean he’s the guy. I learned this season that Pruitt is going to play the guy that gives us the best option. I recommend everyone chill and trust the coaches. Hopefully all QBs take a giant leap forward in development under Chaney. It’s a good thing we have consistency in that role this year.

It’s going to be fun. Stop borrowing trouble

Rooney Rule talk all over nfl network this morning, the 20 or so minutes I watched.

I don’t really understand. I mean, some minority advocate group is up in arms because the nfl is 70% minority players.... but there’s only like 1-2 minority coaches and 1 minority GM.

What’s the relevance there? It’s a different skill set. The old adage has always been, those that can’t do, coach.

Rooney Rule talk all over nfl network this morning, the 20 or so minutes I watched.

I don’t really understand. I mean, some minority advocate group is up in arms because the nfl is 70% minority players.... but there’s only like 1-2 minority coaches and 1 minority GM.

What’s the relevance there? It’s a different skill set. The old adage has always been, those that can’t do, coach.

The biggest issue is teams are treating the Rooney Rule like a check box with no intentions of actually hiring the minority candidates they are interviewing.

The biggest issue is teams are treating the Rooney Rule like a check box with no intentions of actually hiring the minority candidates they are interviewing.

The way you phrase that is that you’re assuming the owners are not hiring based solely on race.

It’s more likely the owners have their eye on a specific candidate but would be penalized if they made that hire with because the NFL mandates you must interview someone based on skin color.

I think the biggest issue is the lack of minority assistants. I don’t follow the nfl like I used to but IIRC they started a program where they specifically targeted getting minorities involved in coaching as assistants so they could work their way up. Is that still a thing?

It’s kinda like the old trope that black people aren’t smart enough to play QB.

I certainly believe there is an inherent bias in the hiring process, whether it be full out racism (rare) or the idea that most GMs are white, most owners are white, and we tend to hire people who look like us (common).

The way you phrase that is that you’re assuming the owners are not hiring based solely on race.

It’s more likely the owners have their eye on a specific candidate but would be penalized if they made that hire with because the NFL mandates you must interview someone based on skin color.

I think the biggest issue is the lack of minority assistants. I don’t follow the nfl like I used to but IIRC they started a program where they specifically targeted getting minorities involved in coaching as assistants so they could work their way up. Is that still a thing?

To your original question, I have no clue what the percentage of players has to do with anything.

If they want to make that case, then looking at assistants vs promotion etc., makes a heck of a lot more sense.🤷‍♂️

cause that's what the rule made it.

the owners can, do and will do whatever they want.

this is just an extra step to follow, and it's being treated as such.

and the more a particular minority candidate continues not to get a head job, the more questions will be raised about the viability of that guy as a real candidate for future jobs.

so the rooney rule, while well intended, hasn't accomplished it's goal, save increasing # of interviews, and in some cases, has actually hurt the chances for some minority candidates of getting a head job.....

Guys like Eric Bieniemy and Robert Saleh have as good or better resumes than just about every other coach hired in the NFL this year. I would've taken either over the guys Cleveland and the Giants hired.
What’s the relevance there? It’s a different skill set.
And that comment is a big reason the Rooney rule exists. I wouldn't call it outright racist, but there is an underlying, probably unintentional, prejudice in that way of thinking. (I am not saying you are racist, just commenting on how that comment has always been used about black QBs and coaches) That was always said about black qbs in the past as an excuse for why they never got any real opportunities. And would always be encouraged to change positions at lower levels. Now you look out and arguably the top 4 QBs in the league right now are black. You could also say the same the other way about white RBs for example. "It's a different skill set" so most talented white RBs get told they should change positions at lower levels. Now CMC is starting to prove that wrong.

I don't care if you are green or blue, if you are the best candidate, you should be hired. But you can't be green or blue and be the worst candidate and expect to get hired.
i don't think anyone is advocating that lol....

of course, with the way some franchises go thru head coaches, you could argue otherwise i guess....lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back