Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dooley and staff. Whiffed bad at RB. Also didn’t offer will redman at camp. Had honey badger at a camp and didn’t offer.
That was Kiffin that didn't offer the Honey Badger at a UT camp. Kiffin was a star gazer and didn't offer because of his low stars even though he showed out at camp.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
I look at it as a positive. We basically sacrificed all them players mention above to make sure we didn’t get a full decade of Butch Jones.

Spot on. First of all, even had they all come here... does anyone really think Butch and Co. would've not found a way to muff it up? Via poor development, lack of S&C, etc?

You put all of those kids on a Butch team and he probably still finds a way to gaffe two games a year.

Easy to say now, but I wouldn't change a thing because as bad as those past ten years have been, it was the rock bottom that led to Pruitt and he's building a foundation for the Decade of the Vols.

Fulmer knows this and will appoint his own successor, IMO. He just needs to stay in power long enough for the admins to realize that a winning program is beneficial and worth the money.
But will he be allowed to hand pick his replacement? I hope he’s here for another 5 years or so but I’m not sure he will be.

It will have to be someone that is strong and won’t get corrupted by the Haslam money. That’s where Hamilton went wrong, he took their massive donations and felt obligated to listen to them.
Doug Dickey was the prime example of what we need in an AD. Fulmer has patterned his methods after him as well. Haslam has always been the money man but Dickey was a true alpha when it pertained to who was really running that AD. It was him and nobody else. I haven’t personally met or spoken with him but I have been in the same room with him on two different occasions during events that have gone on at UT. He’s one of those guys who just has that certain presence that signifies that “he’s the man” so to speak. Anyway, in a lot of ways Fulmer is like Dickey. Hopefully his successor will be as well.

Why not wait and see if any other coaches leave? This close to signing day and so few spots to fill. Might make more sense to see how things shake out with the rest of the staff? Out of curiosity, what kind of recruiter is Hardesty?
Swing big for Frank Wilson and Jay Graham of course. Short of those, I say go for a VFL who’ll be in their category sooner rather than later. Like Kevin Simon, Hardesty developed relationships as a QC...kids love him. He’s a resource in the Carolina’s and I suspect Virginia would be another area he’d thrive.

not sure that’s how Id would put what’s he’s doing

He’s already got all the experience he can possibly get at UTC.
Mtsu is just a down graded job for him
Yeah Blackburn isn’t at MTSU to “build a resume and gain experience” at all. He’s already done that. I’d love to have David be Fulmer’s replacement when that time comes. Really quality AD who has a true passion for Tennessee athletics.

This year we saw guys like Nigel Warrior, Austin Pope, Jerome Carvin, and Kevon Bennett take a huge step forward in development.

Who are two guys who you see taking similar steps in 2020?

For me....

Jackson Lowe - Kind of a huge void left at the position with DWA's departure and not landing a tried and true every down TE this recruiting class. Lowe was already a big, talented kid when he got here but kind of fell off the radar. A redshirt year should've served him well. As good of a player as Pope developed into, I think there are still questions about his health. I think we could see Lowe emerge as the #2 TE and end up getting a lot of playing time. I said when we signed him that I thought he would turn into one of the best TE's weve had since Witten, and I still believe he has that potential.

Ty Chandler - Kind of an easy pick in that most assumed he'd be a big contributor in 2019. For whatever reason that never came to pass. But he's heading into his "contract year" and there are rumors that Tim Jordan likely transfers out - so I think the path to playing time will be clear for him. If not so much as a traditional back, then definitely as a sort of jack of all trades utility player. I could see him with, say, 500 receiving, 600 rushing, and maybe a some yardage in the return game (although I'm hoping Velus Jones takes that role).

Brandon Johnson - I know Josh Palmer likely is the #1. Everyone is raving about DeAngelo Gibbs. But we redshirted BJ to play the slot this coming year. After being the teams leading receiver in 2017, he's kind of just toiled around a little making an ocassional play here and there. But I think he takes a noticeable step forward in 2020. As a crafty, 5th year senior, I could definitely see him carving out a fairly significant role on the offense - even leading the team in receptions (not yardage perhaps) in several games.

-----

And not to be a debbie downer, but one player I have a concern about not living up to the hype is actually DeAngelo Gibbs. The praise for him has been too much. Constant talk of being unstoppable on the scout time. I wouldn't its BVS but rather skepticism over how its a fairly common occurrence that we hear the RTI and VQ guys etc rave about a kid, only to see that kid really not have much of an impact during the year. As someone who's been shuffled around, I think Gibbs could see himself still getting comfortable as a WR this year, while flashing, but ultimately being fairly inconsistent. Fortunately, if that were to happen, he still would have the option to return for the 2021 season where his senior leadership would be needed.

ESD has it's benefits. Keeping things humming this time of year, isn't 1 of them.

Also agree with whoever said the extended wait for the CFBCG takes away from the anticipation. It's barely crossed my mind this week, either.

Reactions: jakez4ut
ESD has it's benefits. Keeping things humming this time of year, isn't 1 of them.

Also agree with whoever said the extended wait for the CFBCG takes away from the anticipation. It's barely crossed my mind this week, either.
Yeah I'm watching NFL count down... And they're in NOLA... Saw all the Clemson and LSU... And was like "oh yeah..."lol

Reactions: chargervol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back