Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol doubt it. But maybe, we really don't know how good Clemson is since they don't play anyone. I'd love to see that matchup though. My guess is LSU humbles that squad and fanbase up and down the field all night.
Clemson is Bama with a better offense and much better defense and LSU barely got by them. People say the same thing on this board every year about their schedule and they run up and down the field on everyone. Burrow is awesome this year, but so is Lawrence and Clemson is better at most every position beyond that, plus they have the best DC in football.

Had some good runs out of that formation.

But about half the time we kept motioning a WR down the line, to right off the TE’s hip. EVERY time we did that, Vandy moved another guy into the box and we ran into a wall.

Why did we keep motioning that WR down over and over with no success?
I’m really not sure. They may have wanted to suck another defender in the box in hopes of opening up a cut back lane.

We basically the same runs over and over again so i think they knew what was coming but just couldn’t stop it enough.

And almost stumbled to Syracuse. Besides, in my theory, they never reach the point of last year's team.
Not pretending Dabo or Clemson sucks, but they've definitely had A LOT fall their way on this ride.
*Not their fault, they capitalized on those opportunities.

But "Clemsoning it" was exaggerated but with a small amount of truth.
Besides the UNC game I dont think their starters on offense have taken a snap in the 4th qtr of a game this season. I think everyone was was expecting them to win every game by 5 tds, and they almost did minus 1. People got down on them for one poor performance, which they still won.

Clemson is Bama with a better offense and much better defense and LSU barely got by them. People say the same thing on this board every year about their schedule and they run up and down the field on everyone. Burrow is awesome this year, but so is Lawrence and Clemson is better at most every position beyond that, plus they have the best DC in football.
I agree. I think Clemson is just bored this year.

I consider FSU is a johnny-come-lately who has to share their immediate territory with many traditional powers. Penn State has been the dominant force in the Mid-Atlantic for many many years
None of that really matters tho. Minnesota and Rutgers were once powers many moons ago. Fsu has won multiple national titles recently, had playoff births etc.

I’m not saying A&M is a huge win but I’m giving them props for playing another big time non conf to pair with South Carolina every year.

I wouldn’t say they have played like sh** all year either. Yea they had a scare vs UNC and a 14point win vs A&M....but every other game they have played has been an absolute beat down.

A&M is a near bottom team in the west.South Carolina fell apart after the Georgia win,South Carolina is also a near bottom East team which is worse because the East is weak.Take A&M and SC out of the sec..would you still give them credit?...and coming off a natty win from just last year they have fell off you can see a Difference especially in Trevor,super sloppy.they have start games off super slow like LSU was known for and it took 3 quarters for them to get things going and never got ahead against UNC.Dabo will have humble pie served this year believe me.

And almost stumbled to Syracuse. Besides, in my theory, they never reach the point of last year's team.
Not pretending Dabo or Clemson sucks, but they've definitely had A LOT fall their way on this ride.
*Not their fault, they capitalized on those opportunities.

But "Clemsoning it" was exaggerated but with a small amount of truth.

A W is a W no matter what it looks like. You’re not going to have your best game every week and yet they find ways to win even when they play bad.

They really hate TN also. Ruining their best ever run with Spurrier, triggered something deep. Our Muschamp curse was one of his saving graces with them.

Then Pruitt went all Captain Phillips on him. "look at me"

View attachment 242601

It's baffling how UT seems to be every SECE team's hated rival. SCAR, UK, Vandy, Mizzou seem cordial with UGA and FL, but hate us with a fiery passion. Apparently, they consider us a nothing program that should be an auto-win. I could understand it if they were all 8, but...

A W is a W no matter what it looks like. You’re not going to have your best game every week and yet they find ways to win even when they play bad.

So you said "FSU should be the best team in the ACC every year" but you have a problem with my "without a down ACC, Clemson never reaches this point "???

At least we know Hank gonna Hank, no matter what happens in CFB.

During the preseason I was preaching that in order for us to win more games this year than 2018 I thought our defense needed to improve a significant amount. I wasn’t all that worried about the expected improvement in our offense. Oops.

Early in the season, when damage control was the order of the day, Pruitt declared that we were 100 times better than last year, to which, I and many others replied, “Say what?” It has been reported that even Fulmer had some fun with Pruitt in the aftermath of that remark.

Well, with respect to national rankings, it turns out that the defense did improve, not so much the offense, and we did win more games. While we weren’t exactly 100 times better, at least on defense we were more than 100% improved in multiple broad statistical metrics.

Probably the biggest concern anyone had for the defense coming into this year was the loss of Kyle Phillips, Shy Tuttle, and Alexis Johnson up front. It turns out our 2nd year in Pruitt’s system was eventually more than enough to offset those significant losses, just as I now suspect having the same offensive coordinator/system in back to back years for the first time since 2016 could likely do wonders for our offense next year, even after losing significant contributors from this year’s team. jmo.

I realize our pass defense didn't have to face Will Grier, Drew Lock, or Kyle Shurmur this year but even if we had I think we would have done a hell of a lot better than we did in 2018. jmo.

View attachment 242603

So offensively we were 19.24% better than last year and 128.5% better on defense. In total we were 73.87% better than last year. CJP math in public was a little off but overall I would agree that we looked better as a football team especially on defense and the numbers support.

I think the local recruiting competition matters.
Sure but they are plenty of Athletes in Florida even when everyone is pulling from there. Talent is never an issue there. Look at their rosters just a few years ago when they won the title. A NFLer at basically every position.

They can’t help the ACC has took a dump. They at least have went out and scheduled auburn, A&M, will play ND next year. To go along with SC at the end.
They had a long standing historic series with georgia at one time. I don't know which team cancelled. Used to be a huge border rivalry.

Reactions: HankHill
So you said "FSU should be the best team in the ACC every year" but you have a problem with my "without a down ACC, Clemson never reaches this point "???

At least we know Hank gonna Hank, no matter what happens in CFB.

No. Idc that the conference is down bc there’s not that many great teams in all of college football. Bama, Ohio state, LSU, OU whoever is playing 1-2 teams a year that can truly match them. The middle - bottom of every conference is virtually the same...which is what the bulk of your schedule is made of. Clemson also plays and beats SC every year who has been middle SEC and have also played A&M and auburn too.

I’m saying Clemson, especially last year could’ve been in any conference and still absolutely rolled they were that good.

My biggest fear is the retirement of Nick Saban occurs right when or the year after Fulmer retires/steps down as AD.

I think as long as Fulmer is the AD, Pruitt would resist the urge to take the reigns at Alabama.

But I don’t have a lot of faith in our administrations ability to replace Fulmer with an AD who has what it takes to keep UT successful. Someone who “knows where the bodies are buried.”

Gotta keep CJP very happy to keep him here when Nick retires.

Part of why I’m really hoping Nick retires this year or better yet, Jerry Jones Jerry Jonses and offers Nick a ridiculous contract to lure him back to the NFL

Fulmer isn't looking to retire any time soon. UT wants stability, at the top and in its core athletic programs. Unless something changes (health, etc.), his contract will be extended.

With all the coaching searches going on and fires I'm surprised Miami Canes AD hasn't kicked HC Manny Diaz to the curb yet. With all the talent Miami has locally and on the roster, they should never be losing to FIU, Georgia Tech, Duke and North Carolina. I don't think Manny is the answer. I know it's his first season but they went backwards from Richt. He will most certainly go into next season on the hot seat.

I just realized I’ve been on the board for 15 years officially, and I lurked for a while before I joined. Crazy.
Now that you mention it, I joined 9 years ago, but actually stumbled on the site and started lurking when Kiffin left in the middle of the night and I was looking for info on who would replace him. Pretty sure we're coming up on that 10 year anniversary real soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back