Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am talking pragmatic, tangible changes. You are talking the emotional chemistry of players, which you assume will change, in the worst way. All over a few signed autographs and maybe a few hundo for their likeness to be used in EA.

Good lawdie. Are they all going to become soulless mercernaries that rep green dollar bill signs on their gloves rather than Power Ts? Do they lose loyalty, given they CHOSE to come here? They weren't drafted, not forced, and can't be traded, but their entire mindset will change over a little more money? They already get paid, how is this any different?
Lol. This is uncharted waters. There is no tangible evidence. If you think that college football is greater than pro football because of the pride of the Southland marching band, I'm not sure what to think.

College football is different because it is an amatuer sport. The ones that pay, Bama Clemson etc have ruined the game.

Look, this is all conjecture. You have the right to think paying these players won't change anything. I guess we'll see. I'm confident it will.

Pruitt says Maurer is cleared to play Saturday. Who do you start?
I'm personally no longer concerned after last weekends showing which one of the three starts.
Mauer before latest injury was capable....JG/JS both proved themselves last sat, so flip a coin and Pruitt/Chaney will know when to pull em and put in one of the other 2 studs.

Last edited:
Pruitt says Maurer is cleared to play Saturday. Who do you start?
Shrout with a reasonable leash. We want the best guy playing at the highest level for the remaining schedule. When completely healthy, my vote’s for Maurer but there’s room for reasonable debate.

Shrout with a reasonable leash. We want the best guy playing at the highest level for the remaining schedule. When completely healthy, my vote’s for Maurer but there’s room for reasonable debate.

I'm just happy that no matter who, if they're having an off game, we have a great option to go in.
It's been so long.

Because I watch them both. Well I used to watch the pro game and it sucks. College is different because imo the players, for the most part are not playing for money. You ever had a hobby and it turned into a job and then it wasn't as much fun anymore?
I'm saying the your lack of enjoyment in the pro game could be from many other differences in the two, not just because one makes money and one doesn't.

Reactions: Devo182
Precisely. Happening anyway most likely. But the part about no connection to athletic performance or participation is interesting. How would an athlete expect to profit from his or her likeness without it relating to the fact that they play ball? Or maybe I'm reading this too strictly.

I took that to mean no getting payed per td or reception or sacks made or number of games played.

I see it more like Podunk University has a hot swim team so the girls decide to make a calendar and split profits, except Jane who’s in a leg cast, but she’s a Marketing Major so it’s all good. Jane finds a place online that’ll print the calendar at a good price and sees she can sell business card size add space across the bottom of the month pages. She contacts local businesses to buy ad space. Sally’s photographer friend agrees to the photo shoot for images to add to his portfolio. The girls are going to promote it for $10 bucks per calendar on their social media pages and friends/family will as well. Podunk has a fairly famous alumni who sees it and blasts it on his social media and sales skyrocket. The swim team clears a 100k and splits the profit.

What part of that is a detriment to amateur sports?

Reactions: gainesvol82
Lol. This is uncharted waters. There is no tangible evidence. If you think that college football is greater than pro football because of the pride of the Southland marching band, I'm not sure what to think.

College football is different because it is an amatuer sport. The ones that pay, Bama Clemson etc have ruined the game.

Look, this is all conjecture. You have the right to think paying these players won't change anything. I guess we'll see. I'm confident it will.
We pay as much as Bama and Clemson. We just don’t have success and NFL pedigree to match what they have.

No one is outbidding Tennessee on the recruiting trail. So to say that’s why college football is ruined is misguided, IMO.

I'm saying the your lack of enjoyment in the pro game could be from many other differences in the two, not just because one makes money and one doesn't.
I'm sure that's not the only thing but it is a major reason. I don't like the entitled players. I don't like them making political statements. There's a lot I don't like about the NFL and pro sports in general. I used to be a huge fan of both the NBA and the NFL. Now not so much.

We pay as much as Bama and Clemson. We just don’t have success and NFL pedigree to match what they have.

No one is outbidding Tennessee on the recruiting trail. So to say that’s why college football is ruined is misguided, IMO.
Unless you have some facts to back that up, I have to disagree. Do I think we pay players? Absolutely. Do I think we're even in the same Galaxy as the aforementioned teams, absolutely not.

I took that to mean no getting payed per td or reception or sacks made or number of games played.

I see it more like Podunk University has a hot swim team so the girls decide to make a calendar and split profits, except Jane who’s in a leg cast, but she’s a Marketing Major so it’s all good. Jane finds a place online that’ll print the calendar at a good price and sees she can sell business card size add space across the bottom of the month pages. She contacts local businesses to buy ad space. Sally’s photographer friend agrees to the photo shoot for images to add to his portfolio. The girls are going to promote it for $10 bucks per calendar on their social media pages and friends/family will as well. Podunk has a fairly famous alumni who sees it and blasts it on his social media and sales skyrocket. The swim team clears a 100k and splits the profit.

What part of that is a detriment to amateur sports?

So Podunk University is now Playboy College Edition, but for athletes?

Reactions: gainesvol82
College football is not better than professional football to anyone outside of the south with a direct tie to a large collegiate program.

But even if I grant you that college football is better, it’s got nothing to do with the fact the players aren’t being paid.
Ohio State says hi. Michigan says hi. Penn State says hi. Wisconsin says hi. There's tons of markets in the north where college football is huge.

It's all your opinion and I disagree whole heatedly.

Why would this be necessary again? As insurance in case Ty tests the NFL waters?
Not necessary, but he's a good player that could fill out the RB room next year. Can never have too many bodies there. NFL, transfer, injuries, need any bodies we can get. He's also a nifty guy on sweeps and quick plays. Don't see why not if he's eligible.

I mean Josh Malone didn't exactly have a stellar career. He did run a 4.4, but I'm not sure where Jennings will run. He could go over 1k yards this year and finish with the record most TD catches in a season at UT.

I think as long as he doesn't have an injury in these last 4 games and his production stays where it's been he'll be drafted. I just hope him & Callaway both get a shot at the combine and ball out while there.
That’s what I’m saying. Jennings is 10x the college wr Malone is with worse QBs. But Malone ran a 4.4. Is here even on an active roster now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back