Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get it that if someone said they aren’t excited about our OL but I Don’t get the notion we won the LOS battle. We certainly competed but we aren’t there yet. By being Able to get Those 2 yards shoes there is much work to do
you're reading too much in to it.....

we've been run over by Bama more times than not the last 10 or so years.

that didn't happen Saturday night. no one should be saying anything about being better than or that we won up front etc....

but you can certainly look at that game on the whole and see some GIANT leaps forward in just how physical our LOS guys on boht sides of the ball were compared to the last 2-3 years in particular. we ran the ball, we got pressure on their QB's, and we didn't get run over for 250+ on the ground.

we matched, and exceeded at times, their physicality. it was a very good step forward from what we're used to.

Why do I keep seeing post so happy about how physical we were?

Sure there were encouraging parts and I am excited about the future but these takes about us taking over the LOS are just not true. If they were the 4th down JG debacle would have never happened. We have to remember we had it first and goal on the 2 and got whipped for 3 straight plays
giphy.gif

There were flags thown and the call on the field was targeting. It should have been roughing the passer and then reviewed for targeting. Since they called it targeting on the field, they couldnt review and switch it to roughing the passer.....as it clearly was that.
that's right, i forgot about that........you right.

JJ was right about his assertion of Bama's championship aspirations.

and it was JJ lined up in the wildcat when they stopped the clock so Bama could see what was going on and adjust accordingly.
It was Tim Jordan. It was after the PI on Surtain. The ball was on the 5....weird sequence. When they restarted play, Darnell Wright false start and the wheels fell off on that drive.

It was for sure roughing the passer. The linebacker could have held up but decided to engage and shove him into our player. Overall just a terrible night of officiating and I hope they don’t let it get swept under the rug.

The problem, unfortunately was it wasn't called roughing the passer, but instead called targeting. So the review overturned targeting, and since that was the only penalty called it got waved off.

Last edited:
Reactions: LA Vol
No doubt it was a step in the right direction. Disappointed it wasn’t a big enough step to score on 1st and goal from the 2 in 3 running plays
you're reading too much in to it.....

we've been run over by Bama more times than not the last 10 or so years.

that didn't happen Saturday night. no one should be saying anything about being better than or that we won up front etc....

but you can certainly look at that game on the whole and see some GIANT leaps forward in just how physical our LOS guys on boht sides of the ball were compared to the last 2-3 years in particular. we ran the ball, we got pressure on their QB's, and we didn't get run over for 250+ on the ground.

we matched, and exceeded at times, their physicality. it was a very good step forward from what we're used to.

Even with the horrendous officiating, the Vols were in a position to bring it to a one-score game late in the 4th. So the #92 team in the country had the opportunity to steal momentum and put themselves in a position to beat the #1 team in the country. That's pretty amazing. Most of the players had a good game and the L wasn't for lack of effort.

Of course, 20-28 would have looked so much better than 13-35, and if not for that one play, that's how it could've ended. But we learned that UT can bring the fight and hang with anybody for four quarters. Just need that QB.

Why do I keep seeing post so happy about how physical we were?

Sure there were encouraging parts and I am excited about the future but these takes about us taking over the LOS are just not true. If they were the 4th down JG debacle would have never happened. We have to remember we had it first and goal on the 2 and got whipped for 3 straight plays

2 sacks, 6 TFL
3 sacks, 7 TFL

37 rushes for 3.1

34 rushes for 4.1

31:44 TOP
28:15 TOP

Pretty impressive, and Bama feasted on garbage time pressure on JT to help them in the two bold categories. The penalty margin closed in the 2nd half as Bama got flagged a few times to "make it even" so 13 vs 8 both for 93 yards, but ultimately one played shifted it from a 1 score last possession drive to a 2 score game over final drive.

Are you sure it was me, or was it somebody else replying to me? I love Rober Jordans WoT and Brandon Sandersons work. I want to read Rothfusses Kingkiller Chronicles, but not till he actually finishes them.
Unfortunately, Rothfuss writes at about the same pace or even slower than George R.R. Martin.

No doubt it was a step in the right direction. Disappointed it wasn’t a big enough to stop to score on 1st and goal from the 2 in 3 running plays
well, it's not like Bama sucks up front. we've just gotten better....

we're not "there" yet. the run Jordan made to get to to the 2, he got knocked laterally out of bounds....i think by a LB or safety? there's other backs we've had in the past that don't go out of bounds one on one....would have been better had we just scored there.

but the up the middle, between the tackle run game is one area we're not there yet, and haven't been all year....so that we struggled with that situation against that opponent didn't surprise me.

i do think we had a good shot at the TD on 4th down had we run the actual play.....

interesting to see how the coaches take that sequence and maybe plan around that? what wrinkles can you run out of that formation that could get the defense caught off guard?

Here're SEC refs taking over a different game Saturday in protection of another of its potential playoff teams, in case you missed it. No flag on the record 40 yard continuous hold: Gators score, gators "win."

It is laughable that the "expert" who reviewed it for the network said that because the DB was content to run with the WR all the way down the field, that it was justified not to call holding. If these dudes are going to do nothing but protect their brethren who clearly miss calls during the game, the networks need to let them go and not pay them for their obvious bias.

We have similar taste. If you haven't read Kingkiller Chronicles, you should. I only read Sanderson for the final WoT books, and I HATED how ham fisted and lacking in subtlety he was. Are his other books a similar writing style? The dialog felt like he was trying to write an overly snarky and quippy movie script, and he explained every single detail like the audience was incapable of picking up anything unless he explicitly spelled it out. He's the one mega author in that genre I haven't read. Curious on your thoughts.
Sanderson is the best writer out there right now. His conclusion to WoT was terrific.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
well, it's not like Bama sucks up front. we've just gotten better....

we're not "there" yet. the run Jordan made to get to to the 2, he got knocked laterally out of bounds....i think by a LB or safety? there's other backs we've had in the past that don't go out of bounds one on one....would have been better had we just scored there.

but the up the middle, between the tackle run game is one area we're not there yet, and haven't been all year....so that we struggled with that situation against that opponent didn't surprise me.

i do think we had a good shot at the TD on 4th down had we run the actual play.....

interesting to see how the coaches take that sequence and maybe plan around that? what wrinkles can you run out of that formation that could get the defense caught off guard?

Well I think most are considering this is the Bama of old on defense and that’s wrong.

We rushed for 3.1 yards a rush.

A&M was 5
Ole miss was 4.8
Duke was even well higher than us against Bama

That’s why I think we are going over board with this we won the LOS talk. This Bama D just isn’t that good to be honest

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back