Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, the ESPN reporters smoking the cigars after the game. - Look, I get it. It's a rivalry, and the tradition is what sets SEC football as the best conference in CFB. But, it just looks bad all around. The commentating during the game was bad enough.

I said it in another thread, but the cigars should be for players and coaches only. When everyone wants to do it it takes away from its meaning, IMO.

You’ll be waiting a long time unfortunately. It’s been 7 years since Patrick Sloth-fuss put out the second book and he’s not interested in finishing the third 😔.

I have been waiting on the 3rd day of Kvothe's storytelling for 7 years now. When/If the book comes out I will be taking some time off work to read in one sitting. I also really Jim Butcher's "Furies of Calderon/Codex Alera" series. If you are into fantasy series I highly recommend it.

Also, the ESPN reporters smoking the cigars after the game. - Look, I get it. It's a rivalry, and the tradition is what sets SEC football as the best conference in CFB. But, it just looks bad all around. The commentating during the game was bad enough.
Tell me about it. I thought I was watching the Bama Sports Channel. They love them to promote the team that is winning. The Tua love was sickening.

Just rewatching the game, we are either the best 2 win team in the country or Bama is not a really good team. Granted Tua was out, but our DL was getting pressure on most plays.

I still can't figure out why the officials stopped game play when Chandler went into the wild cat formation. As soon as he lined up as wildcat, they blew the whistle.

I'm thinking of doing a cutup video this week of all the questionable ref calls or no calls. Seems you all already have a laundry list by heart.

Please post questionable calls by game clock, down and distance, and quarter, if possible. Or as best as your memory allows and I'll track them down.
I was waiting for someone to do this. Can't wait to see how bad it was with everything all in a row.

Looking at the Maurer hits seems more like neck injuries than concussion imo. Against miss st he had walked off field with his left arm hanging limp.
I agree. We all are talking like Shrout and JJ might be our only options Saryrday but I'm thinking Maurer could still be starting.

Reactions: UTSuave’
Had JG not dove over the middle, the OLB likely would have followed the FB to the hole. Crouch still would have gotten in.

Yes. I said yesterday that when you have a 240+ lb former 4-5* RB who is a true freshman on the goal line and gets the chance to smash it in on Alabama at the end of a game (adrenaline alone), he is getting across the goal line come hell or high water...

Looking at the Maurer hits seems more like neck injuries than concussion imo. Against miss st he had walked off field with his left arm hanging limp.

Both the Miss St and AL hits were neck injuries... I will be shocked if he doesn't start against SC... he will get physical therapy this week working on the muscles, ligaments, and tendons in his neck and be ready to go...

after second viewing the late hit on Maurer is egregious. Love that they review the targeting call but roughing the passer isn't even flagged. Mind blowing.
It was for sure roughing the passer. The linebacker could have held up but decided to engage and shove him into our player. Overall just a terrible night of officiating and I hope they don’t let it get swept under the rug.

It was for sure roughing the passer. The linebacker could have held up but decided to engage and shove him into our player. Overall just a terrible night of officiating and I hope they don’t let it get swept under the rug.

So help me out.

This is how I understand the rule.

Roughing the passer is a called made that can’t be overturned. That would be a late hit type play that isn’t targeting.

But targeting can be overturned and the 15 yards not awarded.

Am I correct?

If so I agree that call should have been a late hit roughing the passer

I thought Sanderson did pretty well finishing the WoT series...my favorite books, btw. My major complaint was how he deals with Mat's character. He didn't seem to know how to write that character and tried too hard to make him funny. Other than that I think he took a lot of loose ends and tied them together well even if it was a little rushed.

Sanderson's own works don't have those issues as much. Stormlight is the only one that I feel is up there with WoT, GoT, Kingkiller, Black Company, etc. I think Sanderson has too many projects going at once and tries too hard to be a volume writer but Stormlight is amazing and the Mistborn books are very good.

Rothfuss is definitely a superior storyteller. He builds a story that is fully engrossing and doesn't give a damn about pacing or any of the things Sanderson tries too hard with.

JMO....please share any recommendations. I'm about to finish the 3rd Locke Lamora book and need a new series.
Locke Lamora books were great. I need to check out Black Company.

Completely agree with how Sanderson dealt with Mat. That was my biggest complaint (how he made the characters quippy and shallow and extreme versions of themselves), but thought he did a great job wrapping up the story. I might check out Stormlight.

Just finished Memory Sorrow and Thorne, which was very much like WoT in style but shorter. I like it better personally, but I thought WoT was too long winded and a little too focused on the mechanics of magic, felt like I was reading a D&D book at times. Currently reading Hyperion series, which is really good but slow and much more philosophical. A Song of Ice and Fire is a no brainer if you haven't read it yet. All the First Law books, in case you stopped at the first 3. The Dark Tower series is phenomenal. Bernard Cornwell Warlord series is the best King Arthur books you'll ever read.

Just rewatching the game, we are either the best 2 win team in the country or Bama is not a really good team. Granted Tua was out, but our DL was getting pressure on most plays.

I still can't figure out why the officials stopped game play when Chandler went into the wild cat formation. As soon as he lined up as wildcat, they blew the whistle.
yeah, Tua was out, so was our starter. and is anyone really gonna start to tell us how "even" our rosters our all the sudden with the absence of Tua?

Tua or not, we matched, if not exceeded, Bama physically on the LOS.

that ain't got nothing to do with Tua.

and our WR's matched up well with their DB's...gave them problems all night physcially.

put all the officiating to the side, and the JG play to the side, and we played them as close to even as we have in 10 years....i can only recall the 2009 and 2015 games that were as good a match up physically.

i think this game becomes the game that shows we are turning a corner, IF we can take the momentum from last week, the positives from this week and turn it in to something that can carry us, and build on, the rest of the way. we aren't going to play another teamt he rest of the schedule that is as talented or as physical as Bama, UGA, or UF.

the concern is "who are we?" are we the team that just needs stop shooting ourselves in the foot? or are we the team that does shoot ourselves in the foot?

whoever the QB is can't keep turning it over. and we simply can't have the penalties. while i have my own issues wiht many of the calls that went against us, there were plenty that were legit....especially the false starts, illegal motion or illegal formation type stuff....

anyway, i've seen enough from us this year to see improvement from game 1 thru Saturday. and i've seen us "finish" an SEC game the way you'd like to see us to.

we need to do it 4 or 5 more times...and the good news is there's 5 more opportunities to do it.

go beat USCe this weekend, get this bowl momentum going and FINISH this season the right way.

So help me out.

This is how I understand the rule.

Roughing the passer is a called made that can’t be overturned. That would be a late hit type play that isn’t targeting.

But targeting can be overturned and the 15 yards not awarded.

Am I correct?

If so I agree that call should have been a late hit roughing the passer
The call on the field should have been roughing the passer, not targeting. With it not being called on the field, they cant review a play and retroactively say it was roughing the passer. They can, at any time, review a play for targeting. So yes, it should have been called roughing the passer on the field and reviewed to see if it would be considered targeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back