Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t see how anyone could say Tennessee “got lucky” vs Mississippi State because I don’t think we played a good game at all offensively and still beat their ass.

I don't subscribe to the notion that we didn't play well offensively on Saturday. If you look at numbers, we had 357 yards on just 58 plays, and controlled to ball for 33+ minutes. That's 6.16 y/p and .56 minutes per play.

Compare that with what Alabama did on Saturday against A&M: They had 448 yards on 65 plays, and they had the ball for 29 minutes. that's 6.89 y/p and .48 minutes per play.

We showed slightly better ball control, and only slightly worse yards per play than Alabama did against a similar defense.

Now, they scored 48 and we scored 20 --- but we only needed 13 to win; they needed at least 28.

I don't think we played poorly at all on offense Saturday -- in fact, I think it was our best offensive game of the season (outside UTC). We did exactly what we needed to do on offense to win the game.

I know this is crazy but NCAA should allow teams who don't make it to a bowl be able to sign more than 25 in a yr. Akin to the NBA worst teams having the rights to the best players.
It would lessen the time for programs like us now to turn the corner, maybe. Crazy I know but I'm sure some of u innovative guys here on VN could come up with a plan.
As it is now it seems we are going to see the same teams in the playoffs year in and year out..

new spin on compensatory draft picks

I don’t care so much about the counting stats. We’re still inefficient and have a lot of punts and field goals.

But what I’m saying about the MSU game is actually a compliment. We did not play well offensively and still largely dominated that game. That’s what good teams are able to do - leave points on the board and it still doesn’t matter all that much.

True. The defense was keyed in. The lowest score for MSU from any game this year was 23 (vs. Auburn). They got less than half that. And that SEC leading rusher was near goose egg territory. Those things weren't accidents.

Plenty of things need to get better, but luck wasn't the better part of that victory.

I don't subscribe to the notion that we didn't play well offensively on Saturday. If you look at numbers, we had 357 yards on just 58 plays, and controlled to ball for 33+ minutes. That's 6.16 y/p and .56 minutes per play.

Compare that with what Alabama did on Saturday against A&M: They had 448 yards on 65 plays, and they had the ball for 29 minutes. that's 6.89 y/p and .48 minutes per play.

We showed slightly better ball control, and only slightly worse yards per play than Alabama did against a similar defense.

Now, they scored 48 and we scored 20 --- but we only needed 13 to win; they needed at least 28.

I don't think we played poorly at all on offense Saturday -- in fact, I think it was our best offensive game of the season (outside UTC). We did exactly what we needed to do on offense to win the game.

Boom... @GoBigOrangeVols just murdered KV.

Reactions: chargervol
Idk if anyone listens to the Athletic podcasts. I tried listening to their podcast they recorded immediately after the Mississippi State game. A game we had to win, needed to win, and played well in. Closed it out. A lot of seniors did well, etc etc etc.

It was a game we as Vols fans, especially this season, could really enjoy.

@David Ubben , the entire time, in his whiney nasally voice, just being a wet blanket. I can sum up the podcast in one way... 40 min of Ubben saying yeah UT did okay BUT MSU is bad and UT got really lucky.

GTFOH Ub.
@David Ubben has gone full heel

We played very well Saturday. This team is improving each week. Especially the defense. 7 sacks for the first time vs an SEC team in over a decade. The offensive play calling was very good. They knew they could run the ball and had a lead. So the smart thing to do is to run the ball and control the clock with a few passes down field. That's what they did. It was a great gameplan and execution by the players.

Anyone saying we didn't play well should be ignored.

We played very well Saturday. This team is improving each week. Especially the defense. 7 sacks for the first time vs an SEC team in over a decade. The offensive play calling was very good. They knew they could run the ball and had a lead. So the smart thing to do is to run the ball and control the clock with a few passes down field. That's what they did. It was a great gameplan and execution by the players.

Anyone saying we didn't play well should be ignored.
We played great on D compared to any team

We played well on O compared to ourselves but we didn’t play well compared to “good” offenses in this league.

That is what @Kingston Vol is saying imo

Reactions: Kingston Vol

We played well on O compared to ourselves but we didn’t play well compared to “good” offenses in this league.

source.gif

@InVOLuntary not playing the i was right card but Hubbs just said that the targeting call on 11 was textbook and would be used in the training video with officials.

Strangely I am glad he isn’t playing the first half. Good chance to build experience

Reactions: InVOLuntary

Bingo.

A step in the right direction for us - but I still wouldn’t say we had a good offensive game. Only having 13 points through the halfway point of the 4th quarter gets you beat by the top teams in the SEC.

Good news is there’s a lot to build on and we only play two of those “top SEC teams” to close the year.

Reactions: BruinVol
@InVOLuntary not playing the i was right card but Hubbs just said that the targeting call on 11 was textbook and would be used in the training video with officials.

Strangely I am glad he isn’t playing the first half. Good chance to build experience
Yes and no... Its a video that shows how excessive an ejection is and then 1st half suspension for a review of a rule change. 15 yard penalty? sure. ejection is crazy on a hit like that.

Yes and no... Its a video that shows how excessive an ejection is and then 1st half suspension for a review of a rule change. 15 yard penalty? sure. ejection is crazy on a hit like that.

I support a meet in the middle approach. A player is ejected from the game they are playing in and that’s all.

Don’t see how anyone could say Tennessee “got lucky” vs Mississippi State because I don’t think we played a good game at all offensively and still beat their ass.

Yeah, I was actually recapping the game and had a similar thought...our offense didn't play great at all. The defense was pretty elite though.

Only 14 First downs, 7-15 on 3rd downs, only 357 totals yards, 2 INTs and we averaged 4.3 per rush. Ultimately we played a clean game (just 3 penalties) and eliminated turnovers in the 2nd half. Was able to close out the game by eating the clock. Finally had a clear TOP advantage this game, but lucky? Not sure I'd say lucky either.

Came down to the fact that 1 dimensional offense ran into a team that was tired of losing and was ready to shut 'em down. Which we did, holding MSU to just 267 yards, 7 sacks 3 INTs, and just 3.3 yards per rush most of their yardage coming during prevent time with Shrader. I doubt any other team this year holds Hill under 15 yards.

Yall remember that time that The Tennessee Volunteers went to Bama at 9pm and ruined their night light show ?
DL just had the best game of their lives, Maurer played like Baker Mayfield, and Tua had a bad night or gets put out of the game early and Bama's offense struggles the rest of the night.... Could it happen?

Crazy thing though...had Maurer made a bit better decisions and not got hurt. I have no doubt we could have hung 30+ on them and really opened the game up.

Losing Maurer changed the game plan moving forward, and honestly I don't blame Pruitt & co at all for adjusting offensively to the game. The only way Miss. State was going to win that game is if they were able to tire out the defense and start making chunk gains, so the best way to prevent that is every drive on offense needs to eat as much clock as possible even if we end up punting. JG not missing any of the limited throws was big as well.

DL just had the best game of their lives, Maurer played like Baker Mayfield, and Tua had a bad night or gets put out of the game early and Bama's offense struggles the rest of the night.... Could it happen?
Hope so. Looking forward to onside kicks and no punting!

Tennessee makes history as the Vols become the first team in history to recover 15 onside kicks in one game to stun the #1 team in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back