Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Bama historical tidbit.

Bryant on Neyland.....

My trouble coaching against Tennessee - specifically, against General Neyland - was that every time we played I went out there like a wild man and changed everything around. One year we painted all the dummies orange, then took the team out to a horse farm, and brought the clergy in, and had everybody so tight they could barely move. Next day we lost 6-0. We had a lot of gimmicks and I threw out all the things we could do, the good plays, and put in something new, For Neyland.

Robert Reese Neyland was his full name. He had been schooled at West Point, and had won the Distinguished Service Medal as an aid to General MacArthur. As a football coach he was a model of consistency. He always did the same thing, and he always won. He was more of Coach Thomas's era than mine, but he was a giant and the respect (or dread) Coach Thomas had for him carried over to me. Neyland stuck with the single wing all his football life. People called his offense "the covered wagon," but like Hank Crisp used to say, "Try and stop it."

They used to kid me around the office that anytime Tennessee was mentioned during a coffee break I had to excuse myself and be sick. They weren't far wrong. I lost my breakfast regularly before the Tennessee game. Everybody thought Neyland had a jinx on us. It was no jinx. He was a better coach, and he had better football players - and I couldn't stand it. We managed a couple of ties against him, but I never beat him. He retired after the 1952 season."

[BEAR,The Hard Life and Good Times of Alabama's Coach Bryant, page 105]

All of Coach Bryant's losses to General Neyland were while he was at Kentucky from 1946 - 1953. He went to Texas A&M in 1954. He arrived at the Capstone, his alma mater, in 1958.
Coach Neyland is 1 of if not the most underrated head coach in college football history. His name is almost always never mentioned when that topic is discussed among media members or college football fans in general. At least in my conversations I never hear anyone else mention him. Although I do whenever I can. Not because I am a Tennessee fan but because he so rightfully deserves it.

I get what you’re doing, but you wouldn’t say Georgia State has any good wins either, would you?

UAB is not good. But we’ve proven we can’t take a single game for granted.

I was one of the worst offenders of mentioning the Ga State loss but it's time to let it go. Can we please stop bringing that game to light?

Coach Neyland is 1 of if not the most underrated head coach in college football history. His name is almost always never mentioned when that topic is discussed among media members or college football fans in general. At least in my conversations I never hear anyone else mention him. Although I do whenever I can. Not because I am a Tennessee fan but because he so rightfully deserves it.
Because the University has done a terrible job promoting his greatness until recently and even still, don't do a great job imo.

Because the University has done a terrible job promoting his greatness until recently and even still, don't do a great job imo.
Sadly I agree. His statue was long overdue. I'm sure at one time there were multitudes of young Vol fans whose knowledge of him encompassed nothing more than the stadium of which is named in his honor. I know I knew very little about him until the internet really started to flourish. The University of Tennessee owes way more to him then they have given him credit for and that's a shame.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Look, I’m not saying we don’t have some lunatic fans who think we should win national championships every year, but these MSU folks are something else. It’s like they forgot Mullen would have several crappy rebuilding years before a couple good ones, and he lost to South Alabama two years after being ranked #1. Then before that... *crickets*. And before they can finish saying “Jackie Sherrill” I say “NCAA violations.” Being a social scientist who teaches down here is like getting to see inner workings of a cult first hand.

Sadly I agree. His statue was long overdue. I'm sure at one time there were multitudes of young Vol fans whose knowledge of him encompassed nothing more than the stadium of which is named in his honor. I know I knew very little about him until the internet really started to flourish. The University of Tennessee owes way more to him then they have given him credit for and that's a shame.

I would say he is the second best coach to ever coach in the SEC and the gulf between 2nd and 3rd is tremendous. His name should be mentioned among the all time greats, not just in the SEC but in all of CFB. So when the vast majority of CFB fans and honestly, a lot of SEC fans say "who" when his name is mentioned...that is a big ****ing problem.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Good morning, VN. I have a favor to ask. I have been logging on via mobile for some time and it is either impossible or harder to see how many likes you have on that device. This phenomenon caused me to sail past 20,000 likes without noting the milestone. I think that I have a solution, however. I am going to ask the posters who give me tons and tons of likes to go back and unlike about 1033 of my posts so that we can all celebrate this milestone together. Therefore, @Jack Burton , @Kingston Vol , @vols 30 @BigOrangeVols @BruinVol @Catbone @mccrackb since you all routinely like so many of my posts, this burden is on you. TIA.

I was one of the worst offenders of mentioning the Ga State loss but it's time to let it go. Can we please stop bringing that game to light?
I’m not dwelling on it at all. My point is just that ignoring the UAB game is laughable given what we know about this team.
UAB is much better than Georgia State. Doesn’t mean I’m predicting we lose - just means it should be on the radar.

Good morning, VN. I have a favor to ask. I have been logging on via mobile for some time and it is either impossible or harder to see how many likes you have on that device. This phenomenon caused me to sail past 20,000 likes without noting the milestone. I think that I have a solution, however. I am going to ask the posters who give me tons and tons of likes to go back and unlike about 1033 of my posts so that we can all celebrate this milestone together. Therefore, @Jack Burton , @Kingston Vol , @vols 30 @BigOrangeVols @BruinVol @Catbone @mccrackb since you all routinely like so many of my posts, this burden is on you. TIA.
I'm going to counter act this when it gets close and start liking all of your terrible takes, Byron

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back