Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other news, I noticed that our team did take my suggestion and do the Saints Kamara play with Jennings (giving them the ball and they throw it like a quarterback) Ours didn't work as well as the Saints, but Jennings did get some big yardage.

JG sucks. Be thankful he didn’t lose us the game. He didn’t win us the game at all. He threw two passes that may have traveled 2 yards.
Come on Hank. He played well. Give him credit. He led the game clinching drive. Maurer is definitely our best shot to win some of our remaining games, but JG did what was asked of him and apparently is being a good teammate.

Last edited:
A few thoughts from Neyland Stadium yesterday:

1. Crowd was lite, I’d say on the order of 70-75k. However, those that were there were very loud and into the game. The passion for the Vols persists. It was a good day for a defensive oriented ball game - cool, breezy, overcast, a few rain drops from time to time. A nice reprieve from all the heat.

2. Maurer’s 2 redzone iNTs should have gotten us beat. Both were really really bad decisions. He will find himself back on the bench if he doesn’t clean that up.

3. Maurer’s energy is so important for this offense. Which is why he needs to fix #2 above ASAP. He brings a dimension to our offense we haven’t had since 2016. We need him to learn from this game and keep getting better.

4. The defense played their best SEC game of the Pruitt era. Miss St was lost out there. We have some really good young pieces on defense. Next year’s squad could be really special on D.

5. The OL got the job done. Protected the QBs and got enough push for us to move the Ball on the ground. RBs ran hard on a day made for hard nose runners. Jordan and Chandler showed a lot of grit.

6. Great on Tyler Byrd making a couple big plays. By all accounts he’s a good kid that works very hard. It’s nice to see him have success.

7. Big win, we needed it. Now on to shock the world against Bama.

I don't think you understand how thin we are at those positions. We played decent today vs a bad Miss St team. But we aren't going to be favored in 4 of the next 6 games to get to that bowl. So ignore me and sit down. Or keep crying about a poster on a message board, either way I don't really give a sh**.

By why the hand wringing after a win? Just enjoy it. I know, it’s your schtick and you get a kick out of it.

Never listened to hairy Simonton and skinny Price before, but they make a scary point - BM has started two games and he’s missed snaps in both of them because of getting dinged/concussed.

Reactions: rekinhavoc
Mississippi State was not a bad team. Defense made them look bad
Their bread butter was a running back averaging almost 120yds per game . I think he got 13yds.
They had to resort to passing the ball. 3 ints and 7 sacks.

Defense got a taste of being dominant. They now know the smell of blood in the water. Get past next week healthy. Gonna be a different team going forward .

JG is a good back-up QB for this team. The first 9 plays being runs when he entered the game should tell everybody how much confidence they have in slinging it around. In play action with good O-line blocking he can get the ball to receivers OK. He came through when they needed him, which is a strong positive. However, Maurer should continue to be the starter after Bama. I could see sitting him with the concussion and dings since they are probably going to get smoked anyway. They need those last 5 games to be the time for Maurer to grow as a QB in his decision making. He's got all he needs physically other than some more muscle to help take the hits better.

I’m sorry mr. Guarantano. Let me show you where i became confused.

2.5 yds from LOS. ~6 Air yards traveled
View attachment 231024
This one about 2 air yards traveled?

Happy for JG. Happy for our players. Happy for our coaches. Doesn’t change the fact that they were scared to death to let him throw the ball and our team is significantly worse with him at QB.

Yes, they called it conservatively, but he did throw a deep ball in the previous series on a one on one matchup. JG actually led the team in passing yards.

Never listened to hairy Simonton and skinny Price before, but they make a scary point - BM has started two games and he’s missed snaps in both of them because of getting dinged/concussed.

he’s a 190 pound freshman playing in the sec and probably weighs less then that honestly lol
Just skinny guys that need to add some girth and they will be fine next year. Plus he got smashed by uga which he will start seeing now and the head injury was just a freak deal and hopefully he will start sliding

Reactions: CreiveHallVol
Took my daughter to her first SEC game today. Might need to bring her to a few more. Football was actually fun today. So many great things:

October...check
Football...check
Orange...check
Win...check
Memories...priceless

View attachment 231031

Took my daughter to her first as well. Just a great time.

My post game randoms

• First off, what a game! Let this be the new norm. So often during the past ten years to include earlier this year, we see the team have a strong to borderline dominating three plus quarters, only to not score enough and then finally find a way to steal a loss from the jaws of victory. And when Ty Chandler made that decision to take the return, and the holding call was there.... it felt like the wheels were in motion for another one of those. Instead, we ran it down their throats and iced the game. At home, against an SEC opponent coming off a bye, and playing with their full cast of characters for the first time all season. Damn that felt good.
  • I don't care about HT's suspension. Honestly its a blessing in disguise. Kids gonna hit a freshman wall eventually. Let him get some rest. Hate to sound like a defeatest but we aint beating Bama this year with or without him. Rest up kid.
  • We've been screaming for a youth movement - and for good reason. But yesterday it was the upper classmen that carried us to victory. DT, Byrd, DWA, JG, Jennings (per usual), Nigel Warrior (what???), Butler, etc.
  • Hats off to Tyler Byrd. While it is kind of a black eye in a sense to the program, I'd love for this kid to find his way into the league and become the next underutilized Vol to make it in the NFL. Kid just epitomizes what it means to be a team player, and to be a Tennessee Vol. Hope we keep getting him involved.
  • Which brings up something I saw on twitter... yesterday was the first time all season Tee Martin was on the sideline and not in the box. Led to us getting a lot more receivers in the rotation as opposed to overplaying Jennings and Calloway. As a result we saw Ramel and Jarrod Means both in their throughout the game.
  • Hell of a catch - the separation at the end and concentration by Keyton. He's been kind of the forgotten man in this class based solely off how his lack of playing time - but he finally showed us something yesterday.
  • I've been beyond critical of JG this season, to include during the game yesterday. I still dislike how he is basically a flatline - no emotion, no energy - unless theirs a TD pass. Sometimes the guys need a fiery leader to rally around. But yesterday he did exactly what he was asked to do. He played a mistake free game, and even his one incompletion hit Jennings right in the hand. Coach knew we'd need JG to play more this year and he was right. Props to JG for being a leader and staying around/involved also.
  • I know a lot of us thought Chandler would blow up this year - but he's been pretty mediocre IMO. Doesn't show much electricity or put the fear in defenses.
  • Losing Flowers hurts. He might not have the durability to be relied on. Broken collarbone last year. Hamstring issues in the spring. Broken ankle now.
  • I'm curious how we adapt to losing Flowers - do we roll with Theo/Shamburger? Put Bryce back there and move Burrell/AT to starting corner? Turn to McCoullough or Fields?
  • Kenneth George had a great feel good story when we signed him from JUCO, but he also felt like the ultimate reach and I didn't really expect much from him. But hats off to the kid. He's been playing well this year.
  • Noticed Carvin at RG late in the game. Glad to see him getting in there.
  • Did Savion Williams play? I wonder if we're aiming to redshirt him.

Gonna be interesting to see Mehlen when he only has his own talent to rely on. Losing a lot of his inherited players after this year. His 2019 class was a complete disaster. Will be interesting to see how his 2020 class finishes. Probably have to wait till next Aug tho to know for sure.

But in gonna be curious to see what he does down there.

I heard some of the pundits talking before the season started about this very thing. It was their take that this year he’d be pretty good but the next 2 years could be bad because of how much they’re losing. Let’s pray it’s actually worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back