Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
consider also Bituli was out for 3 weeks and all of your DL were "new" to starting....so you got HT and Ignont out there doing most of hte communication with not a single DL that had played in this system before.

possible?

Some of those DL were here last year practicing though. How long does it take to learn the system? If it’s twice as long then maybe next year we’ll see the fruits, but I think it’s appearing to be a valid concern.

dunno why anyone thinks Tee is the answer....
I’m not advocating for Tee over Pruitt. What I’m saying is if it is decided at some point this season that Pruitt isn’t going to get it done - I believe a 1-7 start or sub 4 win finish would do it - that the powers that be may find it most prudent to hand it over to Tee and try to keep the bulk of this staff together in order to provide continuity to the current roster.

Reactions: JacketVol
not sure why. he hasn't played a lot so that tells you someting in and of itself. in the few times he has been in, i think he's been better than he was at times last year.

In 3 games he's had 15 carries and 2 receptions. 70 total yards from scrimmage with no TDs and his longest play from scrimmage was a 14 yard run against UTC.

Gray (who missed all of Spring) in 4 games has 38 carries and 9 receptions with 225 yards from scrimmage (3rd on the team behind Jennings & Ty) he's averaged over 4 yards a carry in every game this season as well.

Hurts? Keep dreaming and yeah should've pursued Kelly Bryant more but doesn't answer the question at hand
Neither would be attracted to this offense imo. They went to Mizzou and OU for a reason. If our backup plan is to attract big qb transfers then we need to change gears or show something in the future.

Some of those DL were here last year practicing though. How long does it take to learn the system? If it’s twice as long then maybe next year we’ll see the fruits, but I think it’s appearing to be a valid concern.
DL is one place talent is a legit issue. None of them made noise coming in, freshman, sophomore, junior, etc. Unless you buy freshman practice reports then Butler showed a little something. Absolute zero outside of that. We need elite DL recruiting (hs players) and need it immediately in the worst way.

Some not all. And it was some that were making the mistake not all

Bad table selection. Gotta find tables with high pot size, high preflop rate. Table selection is half of winning.

I do that when I play craps, shimmy up next to the high roller and bet heavy when they have the dice. It works but I don't know why.

Y’all still talking coaching search when Fulmer has been telling recruits Pruitt isn’t going anywhere. The definition of insanity. Kind of like us continuing to trot out JG at qb
And I’m telling you that’s a lot easier to say at 1-3 than it is at 1-7 or 2-10.

Of course Pruitt is safe right now. No one is advocating for firing him in week 4. To think the athletic director is going to say anything else is the definition of insanity.

Continuity has its place and importance. I don't think its the main issue in this case for this reason. Season 1 given the circumstances was not hard to see coming. It wasn't good by any means but understandable. Season 2 to this point has been regression. Why? has been talked about on the hour since Ga St and for good reason.

Personally, its not as much a continuity issue as a confidence issue from a decision making standpoint.

During my lifetime UT has hired,

Majors (former player and Tn native)
Fulmer (former player, Tn native, and on staff at the time he was hired as HC)
Kiffin (hot name at the time even tho he failed in the NFL, last name didn't hurt)
Dooley (Vince had a son? He was on Saban staff)
Jones (decent success following Kelly, he had lost to Dooley)
Pruitt (successfully DC at some good schools, but not a lick of HC experience)

A few things that stick out to me about this list.

1. Majors and Kiffin are the only 2 coaches you could argue were guys that UT identified very early and hired. I don't remember the Majors hire but I doubt he was not the primary from the start. Majors being a UT guy makes it slightly different from Kiffin but he had also won a NC at Pitt where Kiffin had struggled in the NFL.

2. Fulmer and Pruitt are the only 2 guys that were hired as HC without any HC experience. Fulmer walked into a substantially better situation from UT's end and the conference was not nearly as good either.

3. On paper Kiffin was the last hire that before hand was considered a good hire by most people. It wasn't Saban to Bama or Urban to OSU but a good hire.

Its not a ground breaking statement to say UT has not exuded any confidence from anyone (much less the fans) in the last 3 hires. And some would argue 4. And even Fulmer was based on a handful of interim games by comparison to a guy that had won a NC and 3 SEC titles that he was replacing.

If confidence in what they do after the fire Pruitt is not at the top of the list I have no idea what should be.
When Kiffin was hired, people were very split on whether he was a good hire. Many people called it a terrible hire because he was coming off a horrendous tenure as an NFL coach.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back