Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than Ga State, my stance hasn't changed much. Undertaking the painful rewatch, it becomes even more clear that despite the narrative, there's some good happening.. until hearts are ripped out.

Our defense was actually playing hard and with a lot of effort. Some mistakes but all in all, looking good. But you can literally watch the disappointment, minutes on the field and blown opportunities take their toll. They just keep delivering opportunity and QB play (both) just keeps tossing it in the garbage and putting them right back out there.

Man, if something turns around there, gonna be some interesting reading.

Dude this is comedy gold! Satire?

You are truly one of the great comedic minds of our generation.
But IF it were to happen think of all the grief the media and their fans would give the dawgs. It would be blissful. Not to mention how far would they drop in the rankings.

I really like the MVS matchup tonight. I would like to add him myself, but not sure if I would start him over Robert Woods and Calvin Ridley. I feel like I'm flipping a coin every week and no matter what I decide it's wrong anyway
Trying to pick 2 between Woods, Ridley, Gordon, and Diggs every week has been a nightmare. I've been wrong almost every week so far.

Reactions: ionaVOL
The staff is assuring players and recruits that Pruitt has admin support and will be here next year, and Fulmer is reiterating that. Fulmer has contacted recruits personally with his assurance. Recruits are sticking because they believe it. They hear what Fulmer says and what young players like QC say, and they buy-in to the rebuild. This year is abysmal, but the losses are baked-in and recruits are looking forward. Hopefully, that mindset can continue as we hit the wood chipper part of the schedule and negativity soars.

Like I said a couple weeks ago, HT is a HUGE selling point for Pruitt. The kid is playing really well for a FR and will get used as a recruiting pitch this year to show what Pruitt and company can do with players that fit their playing style. The more time and better Pruitt's boys become it only helps, IMO.

Losses still suck, though.

Lol, Kiffin's one recruiting class was a complete bust. Most never did anything. Saying that Kiffin ever contributed anything to Tennessee football is laughable. He had no foundation. At least Butch left some 4* recruits, they just were never developed. By all accounts, development is still lacking. That's part of the overall problem at Tennessee.
I wish people would stop getting hung up on what a recruiting service labels a guy. The 4* recruits that Lyle left are G5 recruits at best.

Lol, Kiffin's one recruiting class was a complete bust. Most never did anything. Saying that Kiffin ever contributed anything to Tennessee football is laughable. He had no foundation. At least Butch left some 4* recruits, they just were never developed. By all accounts, development is still lacking. That's part of the overall problem at Tennessee.

1569519506043.gif

Other than Ga State, my stance hasn't changed much. Undertaking the painful rewatch, it becomes even more clear that despite the narrative, there's some good happening.. until hearts are ripped out.

Our defense was actually playing hard and with a lot of effort. Some mistakes but all in all, looking good. But you can literally watch the disappointment, minutes on the field and blown opportunities take their toll. They just keep delivering opportunity and QB play (both) just keeps tossing it in the garbage and putting them right back out there.

I really hope they figure it out, insert a new QB create some buzz and energy and at least win 4 games.

I don’t think there’s anyway the positives outweigh the negatives if you win less than 4 games.

agreed. and you gotta go find that good stuff. but it is there if you're willing to look.

doesn't take away the disdain for the result though, like you said.

and to me, what you're really talking about is how do you keep manufacturing confidence, despite the result? at times, they've played with it. you can see it happening.

then something dumb happens, or something bad....and it goes away. it comes back....then goes away......

it's the most frustrating thing about this season is that i do truly believe that there were moments in all 3 games we've lost where we had opportunities to either run away with the game, or at the very least apply more pressure to the opponent, that we didn't take advantage of.

siap, but you look at WHO is making the really big mistakes....and it's guys that you just simply can't have making them when you're playing as many young guys as we are. the QB can't throw bad picks, can't over throw wide open WR's....5th yr SR WR's can't drop TD's.....JR running backs need to be able to handle a swing pass out of the back field.....JR and SR OL need to be able to not get unsportsmanlike/unnecessary roughness calls AFTER the play that literally kill drives......SR safeties and former all conf DB's can't blow coverages in game deciding situations.....JG, Trey Smith, Calbert, Jennings, TAylor, Warrior, Chandler....i mean these aren't the names of players that you would normally associate with just dumb football stuff.......but each of these guys has made critical mistakes that have contributed to the losses......so to me, it has to start with these guys owning it...and i think they are for the most part....they can be the most immediate path to fixing it.

and coaches can't take any opponent for granted, and must have their teams better prepared to play.....

i mean seriously..............

Reactions: SmokinBob
I wish people would stop getting hung up on what a recruiting service labels a guy. The 4* recruits that Lyle left are G5 recruits at best.
Lol, because recruiting services are rarely right. Is that what we're suppose to believe? Alabama usually gets a top class per, all of these services and they suck. Right?

Rucker's piece--- read it... okay... here's the thing, you can't tell me that on paper our roster has been worse than the Mizz KY SC Vandy and even Miss St..... yet they seem to be years ahead of us... Coaching....

Still stuck on the fact that we need high tier talent in order to get this thing turned... and now we will struggle to stay inside of the top 30 IMO...
Hopefully Pruitt and staff can continue to work miracles on the recruiting trail and existing commits can talk us up.

I think everyone will agree, this is the year where Nieds will really show out if he is indeed the recruiting stud everyone thinks he is... this will be the hardest year to recruit for us based on our W-L record in year two...
Disagree about Mizzou and MSU. Both have plenty of reasons to be better than Tennessee this year and last year.

Mizzou: years of continuity, roster is full of guys the current staff recruited and developed, plus they had a 2nd round pick at QB last year and picked up a QB from Clemson with experience playing for a great staff and in big time games against top tier opponents.

MSU: Mississippi puts out the highest number of NFL players per capita in the US and Mullen had built a pretty solid foundation for the next guy. Remember they had 3 first round picks on that defense last year.

Just imagine how different our team outlook would be if we had a QB who played at a high enough level to be a top 50 pick (or even one on Kelly Bryant’s level), or if our defense had 3 future first round picks on it. Did we even have a draft pick last year? Will we have anybody even sniff the 2nd round this year besides maybe Trey Smith if he gets a clean bill of health?

I really hope they figure it out, insert a new QB create some buzz and energy and at least win 4 games.

I don’t think there’s anyway the positives outweigh the negatives if you win less than 4 games.
My sentiments exactly. Discard Alabama and Georgia. Those ain’t happening.

You all want forward thinking? Let’s do it. You have to find three wins out of UAB, Vandy, Kentucky, Missouri, Mississippi State and South Carolina. If they don’t there is no hope.

How do you all feel if, say, we start 1-7 and end up something like 2-10 or 3-9, and Tee is promoted to head coach with the intent to keep the entire staff?

Better or worse than a full coaching search?
Would rather just stay the course than have court intrigues, TBH. No need to make a change if we’re just making it to someone with even less HC experience and a worse resume as a Coordinator.

The media doesn’t really get to see the team so they speculated just like us. On paper this team should’ve been better and the schedule was easy. We missed our chance to build momentum and now we’re witnessing the blowback. JG is horrendous and the coaches were fools for not getting a transfer. They need to get Maurer ready and let him carry us the rest of this season. Only way to get any sort of credibility back. Trotting 2 out there makes them look like complete morons

I guess what I'm saying is why did the folks who did see practice or at least were closer to the team think this was a better squad. Where did it fall apart? Did the defense look better in fall? Is Guarantano that much sharper in practice?

It's stuff I really don't expect an answer to by those sources.

Trying to pick 2 between Woods, Ridley, Gordon, and Diggs every week has been a nightmare. I've been wrong almost every week so far.

I'd go Ridley and Gordon this week and most weeks.

I have Godwin and Thielen in horrible match ups, had to dump AB last week. I had picked up Tyrell Williams but just dropped him for Sterling Shephard. We shall see how that turns out.

Reactions: MCScots4

You all want forward thinking? Let’s do it. You have to find three wins out of UAB, Vandy, Kentucky, Missouri, Mississippi State and South Carolina. If they don’t there is no hope.
i think we can win 4 of those games....sure....won't be surprised if we don't.

MSU and Mizzou...toughest outside ga and bama. MSU @ home would be nice if we're talking splitting the two....and we get a bye before Mizzou...so who knows.

everything looks harder today than it did a month ago. i know that much.

So we still have a chance for a bowl game?

I guess what I'm saying is why did the folks who did see practice or at least were closer to the team think this was a better squad. Where did it fall apart? Did the defense look better in fall? Is Guarantano that much sharper in practice?

It's stuff I really don't expect an answer to by those sources.
well, by all accounts, coaches and some media, JG apparently really looked the part all off season. i don't think there were any indications that he would perform the way he has in game situaitons.

defensively, i think everybody had questions about the DL, and was hopeful about LB...i don't think anyone saw the Def Backfield taking a step back like it has.

i have no explanation for JG, except to say that at this point it has to be a menal thing with him.....there's really no reason for him to be performing like he is.

for the def backfield, it appears they've gone more zone and less man, and maybe that was a reaction to not have BT the first few games? but i think that's been part of AT's problem. as for Warrior...kinda like JG, i don't see any real reason why he isn't better at this point, unless it's just a mental thing with him too.

the OL has improved. and i like the RB's...Gray has been a nice shot in the arm. i think the WR's have played "better" when given the opportunity, seeing some more YAC in some cases.

and i think the LB's for hte most part have been ok. hard not to like HT, and with Bituli back in, that helps. Taylor gets a lot of double teams, and no one else has been able to take advantage from a pass rush standpoint.

but mostly, it's about what we've done to ourselves...turnovers, penalties, and just dumb mistakes...and at really pivotal times during a game.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back