Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
My kids wore sweatpants through the summer. They are like a human subspecies or something

My 14 year old had on shorts and a long sleeved sweatshirt yesterday.

It was 97 degrees, and the child had on a sweatshirt. I followed her around with a fire extinguisher in case she spontaneously combusted.

That’s all it takes. Recruiting then stalls or regresses due to the doubt and you are forced to make a change.
eh. i don't necessarily buy that either. not that we need any more help in the negative recruiting, but a couple of jacklegs in Charlotte talking like that for literally 90 seconds isn't going to have any more ill affects to recruiting than 9 wins in two years has already had, or 2 years of really solid negative recruiting has already had.

and this staff still has managed to pull off two solid classes in spite of all that.

there's an opportunity cost in recruiting if this season continues to go south, i think we all undestand that. but this staff has already proven it can recruit.

Reactions: Neyland Law Vol
no he hasn't. you have a vocal minority that post here that are "out", literally, on pruitt.

but here's the dirty little secret...they've been "out" on him since day 1.

i think if you were able to get a good read on the fan base as a whole, most realize this roster is not in the greatest shape, and that it's going to take some time. that, and we need some stability.

no one is going to forgive how this season started. but i would wager most are willing to play this out a little bit before we get serious about firing up the coaching hotboard again.
Hope you are right. I hear mostly negative things from fans on the daily. Plus, a lot of peeps on the boards are just miserable. This just sucks. Pruitt basically put himself in a bad spot with that blunder. I honestly want him to be the guy so we can quit this constant 3 year cycle of coaches, that isn’t working at all.

it was brought up this morning on Charlotte sports radio.....and the cursory "outside looking in" point of view says Tennessee is terrible, that pruitt won't last, but if he doesn't, who do they hire?" was literally the context of the conversation about Tennessee this morning.

i blow it off because of the context of it being Charlotte sports radio, and there beign no frame of reference other than a couple guys talking.

but yeah, i do agree, the further out the peopel are that are having the discussion, nationally or even regionally, the assumption is that pruitt wont' survive, be it this year or next.

not worth getting upset or anything.....it's a soundbite right now in a general discusion about college football.....
I listen to a lot of the SB Nation college football podcasts. They’ve already got it as a foregone conclusion that we’re going to have to make a change at some point. National writers (Yahoo, ESPN, SI, etc.) have also pointed it out - and some have taken shots at us for hiring him in the first place.

It doesn’t mean they’re right. It doesn’t mean this thing can’t be turned around. But what it means is that - if we lose on Saturday - the speculation gets louder and louder every week.

Hope you are right. I hear mostly negative things from fans on the daily. Plus, a lot of peeps on the boards are just miserable. This just sucks. Pruitt basically put himself in a bad spot with that blunder. I honestly want him to be the guy so we can quit this constant 3 year cycle of coaches, that isn’t working at all.
0-2. not exactly a recipie for roses and rainbows all day long....for any fan base.

eh. i don't necessarily buy that either. not that we need any more help in the negative recruiting, but a couple of jacklegs in Charlotte talking like that for literally 90 seconds isn't going to have any more ill affects to recruiting than 9 wins in two years has already had, or 2 years of really solid negative recruiting has already had.

and this staff still has managed to pull off two solid classes in spite of all that.

there's an opportunity cost in recruiting if this season continues to go south, i think we all undestand that. but this staff has already proven it can recruit.

I would have agreed with everything you’re saying before losing to Ga St. That game creates a lot of doubt for the recruits and another bowless season will probably be too much to overcome for continued quality recruiting.

book is still unwritten on pruitt. hard to say one way or the other at this point. GSU was bad. BYU had a CBJ flavor to it.

but Auburn and KY last year show promise.....recruiting the right type of players shows promise.

boils down to how well the continue to recruit, and more importantly, develop the rest of the roster.

need more time either way. i think you'll get to a point sometime in the future where anyone will be able to look back and say "see we should've known back then"........good or bad..........might be looking at the losses and saying or migh be looking at the wins and saying it.

roster is still the biggest issue. fix that, and let's see........

all the rest, just fodder as we distract ourselves from Florida week.

carry on.
Yep just have to hit this class with upgrades and size and another year of real S&C and good coaching, we will get there. I believe Phil Fulmer new it was going to be tuff to get this program back to where he had it. But he hired the hard nosed coach he thought could do it.
Seems alot of people just dont realize it was going to take time to get these young guys some playing time to get that experience we need to play high level ball. Like Pruitt said, "the more you do something the better you are going to be at it."

well, game is on the line, one play to go.....why not call a time out and make sure everyone's up to speed on what they're expected to do?

it's monday morning qb'ing at it's finest..........but that would have been one way to avoid the disaster that was that last play.

or kick fg's insted of going for it on 4th down there? then the late game FG doesn't matter.

don't get it twisted, i'm not saying i blame the coaches per se. i am saying the way we lost that game had a very CBJ flavor to it, a la OU and FL 2015......and if those types of things become the norm, like they did with CBJ, then that's bad, and that IS on the coaches....it becomes who they are, just like it did with CBJ.

I don’t disagree with the kicking the field goals, however if we would of got the 1st down and scored everyone would of thought our coaches are geniuses. Anyone that has ever played football knows that with 17 secs left in a game the one and only thing you do is not let anyone get deeper than you as a DB. You shouldn’t have to call a timeout for that. It is known. There shouldn’t even be a call that needs to come in because it is common sense.

I don’t disagree with the kicking the field goal but anyone that has ever played football knows that with 17 secs left in a game the one and only thing you do is not let anyone get deeper than you as a DB. You shouldn’t have to call a timeout for that. It is known. There shouldn’t even be a call that needs to come in because it is common sense.
Everything is Pruitts fault and we play big bad Florida this week.

I'm shaking.....

I listen to a lot of the SB Nation college football podcasts. They’ve already got it as a foregone conclusion that we’re going to have to make a change at some point. National writers (Yahoo, ESPN, SI, etc.) have also pointed it out - and some have taken shots at us for hiring him in the first place.

It doesn’t mean they’re right. It doesn’t mean this thing can’t be turned around. But what it means is that - if we lose on Saturday - the speculation gets louder and louder every week.
they're not right, but yeah, it will get louder.

that said, before the season started, we were going to lose to FL, GA and Bama anyway. so not much, if anything, has changed in that regard from an expectations standpoint.

we were at best toss ups against MSU, USCe, Vandy, MO and UK...not much has changed on that regard either.

the only thing that changed, and it was a big one mind you, is losing 2 most thought we'd win. that does hurt.

everything else for this team is still out in front of them. but when you're 0-2 and irrelevant in the landscape, it's not worth really talking about it at that granular of a level regionally or nationally.

and i get that.

the only thing that really changes those narratives is winning one of the games we're not supposed to....or winning all the toss up games and finishing strong.

past that...........the narrative on TN is already written, nationally.

Everything is Pruitts fault and we play big bad Florida this week.

I'm shaking.....

This is literally the only game he has truly been preparing for since the beginning of fall practice. Pruitt and this staff have no intentions of losing this game. They can’t afford to lose this game and I believe these players finally believe they can win this game.

The fact remains that a LEACH defense would get hammered in the SEC. So again, his teams do decent, on defense, in the PAC12.

You don't understand what the word fact means. Until it happens there's nothing "fact" about it, so again. Welcome to whatever opinion you want to have. He's won more in 2 different Power 5 conferences than all 4 of the last UT Head Coaches combined.

Reactions: Jack Burton
I don’t disagree with the kicking the field goals, however if we would of got the 1st down and scored everyone would of thought our coaches are geniuses. Anyone that has ever played football knows that with 17 secs left in a game the one and only thing you do is not let anyone get deeper than you as a DB. You shouldn’t have to call a timeout for that. It is known. There shouldn’t even be a call that needs to come in because it is common sense.
i'm on record, i have no problem with going for it on the 4th downs.....

but if you're looking for ways to blame the coaches for the loss........well, we left points on the field on purpose and didn't manage a late game situation with the game on the line....

He prob. wouldn't have lost to GA State but not sure I see him beating Auburn on the road or Kentucky last year. Guy has an abysmal record against ranked teams.
He's at NC state....I think he could have done anything Pruitt has done up to this point and then some, but I'm not convinced his long term upside is better than Pruitt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back