Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
short term, no, it's not. we're gonna suck the rest of htis year and probably next year.

the only way this staff salvages this program is if they're given time....(note, i didn't advocate one way or the other with that statement.)

obviously, that's a debatable topic amongst fans at the present time.

I just tend to think it's going to continue to be a lot of the same. Very real chance this ends up being the worst recruiting class in over a decade. If I felt that they would be able to land top 15 classes amidst all this that would be a different story. However, that looks very bleak.

That's my fear as well. LA seems to have more confidence that the people behind the scenes are much more capable right now than during past hires. That gives me hope and if they feel Pruitt is the best shot then I'm with them.
I just don't share that hope as easily. I really like LA and hope he doesn't take offense, I've always considered him a friend. But exactly like with AV, who I also like, you can only repeat what you're told. And I have no doubt he's honest when sharing what he's heard.

But no one has proved infallible and it's folks at UT *saying things are 100% opposite of what they've been for years and years.
I'm giving no one's source the benefit of the doubt when it comes to things being swell at Dysfunction U.

We are 11th in the SEC in recruiting and we are losing to teams we are fighting recruits for. Pruitt said in fall camp that JG was the only sure starter on the team. How is that working for us? Team lacks an ounce of passion.

The 2019 signing class has been good so far.

He needs two more just like it to get to winning football. I have no idea how he is going to sell it.

But you need those 4 and 5 stars. Always.

He needs two more just like it to get to winning football. I have no idea how he is going to sell it.

The issue is a year ago at this time we thought guys like Flowers, banks and Taylor were looking good

They haven’t developed and that’s a big red flag

I want to believe Pruitt can. But wheres the evidence? If we looked like a prepared team and played good football and still were losing, I would be okay with that. But they are hot garbage and are playing worse than last years team.

Edit:
I've been trying to convince myself that Pruitt is the guy by comparing him with other coaches like Majors but I just dont think Pruitt is the guy.

I just don't share that hope as easily. I really like LA and hope he doesn't take offense, I've always considered him a friend. But exactly like with AV, who I also like, you can only repeat what you're told. And I have no doubt he's honest when sharing what he's heard.

But no one has proved infallible and it's folks at UT *saying things are 100% opposite of what they've been for years and years.
I'm giving no one's source the benefit of the doubt when it comes to things being swell at Dysfunction U.
Not to mention how quickly these things turn. Like you, I just AV and LA. I think they provide good information. However, they can only provide what is technically “true” and been spoken out loud. So we won’t know Fulmer is, for example, thinking about inserting himself as HC until he tells someone about his plans. Of course that hasn’t happened yet. But will it if we’re 1-7 and struggling vs UAB? Time will tell.

This class is sitting at 11th best in the SEC right now. We haven’t heard even a rumor of a commitment since the season started.

It’s going to get worse.

I just tend to think it's going to continue to be a lot of the same. Very real chance this ends up being the worst recruiting class in over a decade. If I felt that they would be able to land top 15 classes amidst all this I feel they could continue to build. However, that looks very bleak.
i'm not so sure about that.

even in that 2017 season....there were some fairly high profile kids in that class that would have still come here had CBJ still been the head coach. not syaing that's why you keep CJP, but that if we do, there's a core part of this class that should stick....can't say all obviously. but most. ....but go back to that class...LynJ Dixon (playing at clemson) trey dean (playing at UF) Jaycee Horn (playing at USCe) Cade Mays (playing at UGA).....

it's the uncommitted ones that we probably lose out on.

if you can keep Hardy and Baron in state, plus the core group we have committed, this class can still be another foundational piece....

but all those really big time prospects...smalls, sewell, jarrett, gilbert, washington etc...yeah, they go elsewhere....

i've said it more than once, that this rebuild was bigger than most people thought it was.

this season has definitley not helped in that category, and probably extended the time line simply because it will affect the ability to bring in "instant impact" type players, or at least the quantity of them....

bottom line, we're going to see this team get younger over the rest of this season, and next season......which aint'a recipe for becoming great overnight.......

there's going to be a point, and i think we're there, where there's just going to have to be some acceptance of that. and even firing pruitt doesn't change the timeline of any of what i've said above. in fact, it probably extends it again....and you'd then have a roster for 2020 that would have CBJ, CJP and whoever the new guy would be on it. ugh.....think we have culture issues now? lol.

tough situation for all involved....no easy way out, no quick fix..........this is a s**t sandwich, and we're basically gonna have to put some salt and pepper on it, and choke it down the next couple years.

yea.

He doesn’t “need” those 4 and 5 stars to perform better than we are currently. And with what he’s put on the field, he won’t get many. We’ve gotta compete with the likes of Vandy, South Carolina etc before we worry about recruiting again. Or just get a new coach.

I’ve been critical of the musical chairs with many players and their positions over the past two years. Maybe posters are now ready to see that wasn’t wise now

Boils down to this guy is clueless. People made excuses before but now it’s obvious. Reminds of Hugh Jackson at another Haslam owned team.

I’ve been critical of the musical chairs with many players and their positions over the past two years. Maybe posters are now ready to see that wasn’t wise now

It’s easy to see this stuff manifest itself when you take off the orange shades. Said the same thing RE: Banks

The issue is a year ago at this time we thought guys like Flowers, banks and Taylor were looking good

They haven’t developed and that’s a big red flag
i get why you or anyone else would believe that. we're forced, yet again, to expect A LOT from a bunch of really young players....that haven't developed enough yet....there's several other guys from this class and last that aren't getting on the field a ton and it's because they aren't ready yet....guys like Carvin, Keyton etc....they're seeing some PT, but spotty at best. they need some time.....as do some of the guys that are seeing the field a lot.

part of me agrees. but another part of me says not every single new guy is ready to play in year 1 or 2.

we HAVE to play a lot of these young guys. developed or not.

it is what it is.....some are doing ok, some are not. HT has basically been plug and play, but he's made mistakes as a FR that he won't make as JR or Sr. Burrell isn't ready, but has to play...he'll, hopefully, get better with experience as well....

anyway.............this sucks.

We have to hope we have a Dobbs-like game changer at QB on the team or in Bailey.

QBs change everything.

I simply will not believe Jim Chaney is an idiot.
Pruitt can't rely on that. Need to bring in a transfer or have Maurer or Shrout coached up enough to be a good second option. Just like Fulmer with Ainge and Rick Clausen. Hell, USC is a good comparison having their 3rd string qb prepared.

Pruitt can't rely on that. Need to bring in a transfer or have Maurer or Shrout coached up enough to be a good second option. Just like Fulmer with Ainge and Rick Clausen. Hell, USC is a good comparison having their 3rd string qb prepared.
USC is a QB factory, that's just who they are.

This class is sitting at 11th best in the SEC right now. We haven’t heard even a rumor of a commitment since the season started.

It’s going to get worse.

Three things to watch before December:
How many games do we win and how bad do we look in the losses?
How many actual butts (not wearing opposition colors) are in the seats at Neyland?
How may commits do we lose heading up to the early signing date?

it would be a monetary disaster to can Pruitt now and pay his and his assistants buyouts.
However, if you get really negative answers to all 3 questions above, they might.

we'll go in to next year with Maurer, Shrout, Hill (transfer) and Bailey.....assuming shrout doesn't transfer. feel fairly confident JG won't be here next year at this point. would expect Hill, Maurer and Bailey to be in a "real" competition for QB spot. #waytooearlyprediction

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Not to mention how quickly these things turn. Like you, I just AV and LA. I think they provide good information. However, they can only provide what is technically “true” and been spoken out loud. So we won’t know Fulmer is, for example, thinking about inserting himself as HC until he tells someone about his plans. Of course that hasn’t happened yet. But will it if we’re 1-7 and struggling vs UAB? Time will tell.
Maybe because I'm behind or I scroll at times but no idea where Fulmer taking over stuff comes from? I don't rule anything out but sounds very conspiracy theory?

Not that I would pitch a fit, saw that man teach football techniques to guys who couldn't write their own names. (All tongue and cheek)

Reactions: barrylee
Maybe because I'm behind or I scroll at times but no idea where Fulmer taking over stuff comes from? I don't rule anything out but sounds very conspiracy theory?

Not that I would pitch a fit, saw that man teach football techniques to guys who couldn't write their own names. (All tongue and cheek)
Pete Thamel roasted Fulmer in piece he did on Yahoosports yesterday and basically said that this was Fulmer's "grand master plan", and that other programs in the SEC are giggling in the background at the thought of it.

roasting the staff is low hanging fruit. and i get that. and i am not telling you i think they've done well in any capacity.

but you don't wind up this bad this fast w/out there being a combination of issues.

it's not like the roster issues we have are brand new information.

you have players that we should be able to expect more from making GIANT mistakes...veteran OL getting personal fouls...veteran WR dropping a TD and creating a turnover...veteran QB that throws awful ints and misses completely wide open receivers...veteran DB that consistently blows coverage.......veteran RB that can't catch a swing pass and already has too many turnovers on his own...a qb that can't complete a swing pass and has too many turnovers of his own.

the low hanging fruit says "isn't that the coaches fault anyway?"....well, ultimately yeah. but at the end of hte day....we work with what we have, and i'm sorry, guys like JG, Warrior, Calbert, even Trey Smith and Jennings and Chandler have all made critical bone headed mistakes this season.....

then throw in a bunch of young guys that are still figuring out what to do and making mistakes as well...............

and a staff that treated game one like a spring game..........

and a fan base arguing over who sucks worse,and firing up coaching boards and blasting players on social media and forming conspiracy theories about everything and anything under the sun.................

and i give you the 2019 Tennessee Volunteers....
So... business as usual?

Reactions: jakez4ut

I’m not sure that I personally think he’d do it, but it’s been floated a ton, even before this season turned to ****.

Fulmer wants to be HC here. When the Currie texts were released Fulmer had someone ask him if he’d be interested in the HC job and he said “all they have to do is ask.” He’s at every football practice coaching the offensive line whether or not the NCAA sees it. And the other thing is people believe he could sell it to the boosters as the cheap answer. Basically we’d only pay Pruitt’s buyout then Fulmer comes in as interim for the last game or so of the season. It might give him a ground floor view of how best to address the issues moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back