Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
How you been man we ve been looking for ya? Are ya healthy?
I’ve been fine. Just been reestablishing priorities and realized that I’ve spent WAY to much time doing unproductive stuff, VN being one of them. I still keep up and skim threads but I’m kinda disappointed with all of sportsball right now. I appreciate you and @Bassmaster_Vol checking in.

I’ve been fine. Just been reestablishing priorities and realized that I’ve spent WAY to much time doing unproductive stuff, VN being one of them. I still keep up and skim threads but I’m kinda disappointed with all of sportsball right now. I appreciate you and @Bassmaster_Vol checking in.
Good seeing you pop in, brother. Hope you’re doing well

Getting a little old in here with same circular discussion. What you need is a story to make you laugh regardless of which side you fall under.

I was at the VA last Friday for a treatment and was sitting in the waiting room. In came a big guy who took off his mask and adjusted his red hat. He proceeded to go off on a rant about masks and the virus. He started with the whole virus thing is a hoax and people aren't dying or getting sick. It's all the fake media trying to make Trump look bad and steal the election. There is no reason to wear mask and places that make you wear them are just trying to make Trump look bad.

He finished his rant as follows; "This is a Chinese flu and I have nothing to worry about getting it because I'm not Chinese."

I was stunned at his logic and just burst out laughing. He looked at me and said; "What's so funny?"

My response was; You just told us the virus was a hoax created by the fake media to make Trump look bad and we had nothing to worry about with the virus if we were not Chinese. You also told us you should not have to wear a mask because it's all fake news. What I find funny is your willingness to wear a mask in order to receive free health care. He looked at me and replied; "You're an azzwhole." I answered back this is probably true as well. The whole room laughed at that time. I was called to receive treatment and left the room by saying "Peace Brother."

For over 50 years I have been reminded everyday of my service to country and am proud to have defended the right to be stupid and ignorant.

Not all heroes wear capes. Thank you for your service!

So are teachers. As a teacher, I’ll do like I do every year, show up and teach. When one of the little varmits makes me sick I’ll take a few days off.
View attachment 296016
Are your coworkers freaking out as much as mine. And I'm over here like
tenor.gif

The Re reported yesterday by the university of Tennessee dashboard was 1.06 and the R0 widely reported at the beginning of the pandemic was 2.5. If we plug in those values and solve for Pi for the state of Tennessee we get 0.576. (1.06/2.5) = (1 – Pi). 0.424 = (1 – Pi). Pi = 0.576.

The number of actual cases according to the CDC is far more than the number of reported cases, around 10 times more according to the CDC’s best estimate.

The general estimate at the start of the pandemic was we would have to get to around 60% immunity in the community for the virus to die off due to herd immunity. If the data being reported is anywhere in the vicinity we could be at 57.6% immunity in the state as of yesterday.

Once Re gets below 1.00 the number of new cases will be declining as the number of active cases which spawn new infections will also be declining.

On July 16th, I suggested we probably needed to get to around 115k reported cases in the state to hit our HIT (herd immunity threshold). There’s a technical glitch at the state level in today’s report but they do provide the total number of known cases as of today and it’s at 99,044.

My estimate was a best guess at the time but we’re only 16k away from the number so I still think in the next few days Re will likely go below 1.00 for the state. If so, no one should expect the virus to die out overnight but it will start to decline fairly rapidly as it will have difficulty finding new hosts until there are very few prospects left.

Lastly, this is a new virus and while our professionals and scientists know a thing or two about viruses in general, they need specific data to know everything there is to know about any new virus. In the beginning of something like this and for some time everyone, including the best minds we have, will be operating to some degree in the “fog of war”.

My big concern with our data right now continues to be that with the various “artificial” means we’re undertaking to slow the spread of the virus and with certain estimates that have been provided by those who should know best the conclusions one might draw from that data and the underlying assumptions could potentially turn out to be quite erroneous.

Note: I am not a doctor, nor am I a scientist. By profession, prior to my retirement, I was a project controls engineer, which means I collect and analyze data. More importantly perhaps, over the course of my life, I’ve stayed at a Holiday Inn Express on multiple occasions. TIFWIW.
As of yesterday Tennessee has had a total of 93936 total cases, 38329 current active cases, and a total of 967 COVID related deaths. Source: DoD unclassified information briefs

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back