Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Numbers are funny things. For example I heard that the CDC in their update on Wednesday stated that only 7% of the reported virus related deaths listed the virus as the sole cause. I’ve seen a wide range of estimates for the number of Americans who have potentially had the virus. My favorite is a polling survey where 33% of the respondents thought they had probably had it at one time. That was I think around 6 weeks ago so I figure that percentage could be up close to 50% or more by now.

So out of 126,780 reported deaths about 8,875 are perhaps solely attributed to the virus. In Washington State there were 5 people who died of gunshot wounds but testing showed they had the virus so they were listed as Covid deaths. In Colorado a man was found dead in a park with a blood alcohol level of 0.55% and listed as a Covid death. In California, San Diego County Supervisor Jim Desmond investigated 194 COVID-19 deaths through mid-May and found that only six could be clearly claimed as caused by COVID-19. “We’ve unfortunately had six pure, solely coronavirus deaths — six out of 3.3 million people,” said Desmond.

There’s a certain number of people that die every day in our country for a whole host of causes. The CDC reported a total of 2,813,503 deaths for the year 2018 from all those causes. There’s also a certain number of new people that are born every day, 3,791,712 for the full year 2018. To the best of my knowledge there is only one cause for that. Anyway, we probably won’t know the real numbers of Covid deaths until some far future date when the numbers are no longer politically useful. jmo.

This is a projection for the U.S. and the number of deaths we will likely have annually going forward. We have a bit of an aging population so the death rate has been increasing the past few years and is expect to continue doing so for several more. It offers some perspective I think. jmo.

View attachment 288872

Just to add something to the convo, a couple of articles on the death counts in Washington state:
State epidemiologists: COVID-19-related deaths likely being undercounted in WA

Washington Department of Health clarifies COVID-19 death numbers | ClarkCountyToday.com

No matter what happens, with all the uncertainty this year and that will be if there is a season, this year’s national champions will have a huge asterisk next to their title. Most contenders will easily be able to claim that “if only they were healthy” or “if only they had a full offseason” things would have gone differently.

It’s going to be very interesting to track the progression of the season if it happens.

Reactions: 5FingerVolPunch
No matter what happens, with all the uncertainty this year and that will be if there is a season, this year’s national champions will have a huge asterisk next to their title. Most contenders will easily be able to claim that “if only they were healthy” or “if only they had a full offseason” things would have gone differently.

It’s going to be very interesting to track the progression of the season if it happens.
Everyone’s equally handicapped...no asterisk. Survival of the least positive.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure T Dog is not a black man, but either way, u are right, he seems like a good dude.
I'm dark white. Lol no really scottish and native American Indian. I have been told I look like every race. Different jobs I have had, people have asked me or told me that i look like their race. Light black, Hispanic, Asian, middle easterner, gangster, killer, saint. I like it like that way too as I dont care what people think about me. I would show a pic but I dont want to be outed for my stance on MJ. Had to navigate jobs that drug test for 25 years now including my short stint in Marines(I was not only one in that shared me beliefs there lil, even a senior drill instructor smoked, we knew it,). Got lots of story's about how people said u look just like someone they knew from different races. Have had friends from all over the world. Is why I have a worldly view on things I think. Try to evaluate situations from different angles and such. Just glad to have this big ol diverse family here on VN. #blessed

If by some chance the season does get cancelled, it's gonna create a godawful mess. It would really suck to see our seniors lose out on their final year. And an NFL draft without senior film?? Also wonder if guys would try to claim a medical red shirt if the virus cancels the season? Really hope we get a season, especially for my sanity, but if it doesn't happen, I expect a lot of chaos.

If there is a season, it has potential to be chaos. Can you imagine 20 players on a team getting Covid right before a big game. Or a starting QB. Or even coaches at key positions. It could be insane. Games could get cancelled or good teams may get beat by mediocre teams because they lose key players on their rosters. It'll be very interesting. I just hope our Vols stay healthy and we're on the winning end of these scenarios.
New strategy: have the entire staff and players lick doorknobs until everyone has been exposed or contracted it before the season. While other teams are losing starters to the rona, we march right on through to XV-Nulla.

Kidding not kidding

That is not unusual. People never die of leukemia or Aids.Its always caused by an illness contracted because of immunodepression

There is a real difference in this case. Many of the deaths are from people who some other underlying cause is the main factor. Not covid. In your analogy aids is the main factor so it doesn’t really hold up imo.

Also, as someone that works in sports, needing to find a new job this year is absolutely heinous due to the uncertainty stemming from covid-19. I would say the sports industry has been impacted by the virus harder than any other.
Education brah

I'm dark white. Lol no really scottish and native American Indian. I have been told I look like every race. Different jobs I have had, people have asked me or told me that i look like their race. Light black, Hispanic, Asian, middle easterner, gangster, killer, saint. I like it like that way too as I dont care what people think about me. I would show a pic but I dont want to be outed for my stance on MJ. Had to navigate jobs that drug test for 25 years now including my short stint in Marines(I was not only one in that shared me beliefs there lil, even a senior drill instructor smoked, we knew it,). Got lots of story's about how people said u look just like someone they knew from different races. Have had friends from all over the world. Is why I have a worldly view on things I think. Try to evaluate situations from different angles and such. Just glad to have this big ol diverse family here on VN. #blessed
Damn, I thought you were your avatar from January.

Reactions: gainesvol82
We have kids playing baseball and it’s fun and we don’t need pro or college sports. Deaths are under 700 a day and many other things are killing people. We’ve let the puss people take control of our lives. Wore a mask voluntarily the other day at wal mart. Won’t do that again. Literally hard to breathe. That isn’t good for anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back