Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cried this morning with the sad news and eventually had to find something to do. Unfortunately for you, my fine fellow Vols, I found something.

Heat maps –

One of the things that many analysts point out is that often times many fans have difficulty separating past performance when assessing an opponent. For example, many of our fans in 2013 thought Auburn would be a cakewalk because they had been so abysmal in 2012. Auburn blasted us when they came to Neyland and in fact went all the way to the national championship game that year, losing to our current head coach in his role as DC for Florida State. There were other fans here who knew that Auburn had a lot of talent on their roster and that the new head coach, Malzahn, was only one year removed from the program he was returning to take over. He needed a QB and he found Nick Marshall and the rest is history. Unlike most new head coaches he already knew what he had on the roster coming in. He had recruited almost all of those guys.

Anyway, so what analysts try to do is look at each team and try to assess their opportunities for either improving or having a drop off. The critical factors often considered are recruiting, with new blood counting a bit extra, returning veterans and their prior productivity levels, coaching, mostly the head coach, and for some, whether or not the team has an established QB.

Alabama is an oddity in college football in that year in and year out they tend to have elite units on both sides of the ball and obviously they’ve been able to hold on to their head coach over the course of the last several years. They consistently recruit at the highest level and generally have the best overall roster talent at almost every position, and with depth, of just about anyone in the entire country.

The following tables compare the offensive, defensive, and combined units of the 14 SEC teams since A&M and Missouri joined the conference. Elite units/teams are highlighted in green, Good units/teams are highlighted in blue, Average units/teams are highlighted in yellow, Bad units/teams are highlighted in pink, and Abysmal units/teams are highlighted in red. I’m using the combined units to represent the team overall though obviously I’m leaving out special teams. I used a formula based on the performance range of the teams in a given year so it adjusts from year to year based on the highest and lowest performing team and then I just broke the range into 5 auto-adjusting categories as identified above. The point is every year is different and with many teams performance levels are fluid from year to year primarily based on the criteria favored by most analysts.

It’s possible for upsets to happen but they’re not that common. In 2018, according to these maps, we were an abysmal team but we upset Auburn on their field even though they were only a bad team. They were a double digit favorite in that game so favorites don’t always win. I didn’t think we got a lot of respect for that game because some pundits seem to think it was more about Auburn losing the game than us winning the game. The same sort of thing, in hindsight, could be applied to our early season losses last year to Georgia State and BYU. We were the favorites but we lost. They won but they didn’t beat us; we beat ourselves.

In 2012, relative to the rest of the conference, against SEC competition only, with Chaney and Bray, we had a good offense and even though we had our worst defense in over 100 years it was only bad compared to everyone else. We ended up with a bad team. In 2015 we had an elite offense and an average defense. We ended up as a good team. In 2016 we again had an elite offense but owing to injuries we ended up with an abysmal defense and so finished the season as a bad team, relatively speaking. In 2017 & 2018 we were abysmal on both sides of the ball and naturally ended up with abysmal football teams. Last year we were abysmal on offense but average on defense against SEC opponents so we improved to become a bad team. This year we don’t know what’s going to happen on offense yet but many are thinking we have a good shot at being elite on defense. I think HT staying healthy all season long may be the biggest key to our defense this year. Anyway, if we could just get to a not too bad offense we’d have a good shot of ending up as a good football team this year. jmo.

View attachment 284708

View attachment 284709

View attachment 284710
Christ. 1 positive scoring margin season in 8 years. Man oh man. Hope Chaney can get this offense going and be innovative or we need someone who can. CJP and CDA absolutely have the defense headed toward elite territory though!

I heard from a degenerate that you snort devil's grass and chug beer up your butt. Maybe it was just that guy idk. He was Greek or so he said. Maybe a foreign thing
I have never, and will never, drink with my anus.

Sounds like something Catbone would do.

Reactions: Devo182
And omg they just gave that TE a touchdown when he clearly dropped it. Boned by the refs time and time again vs FL
This year's game? You got me watching it and already piiiissed at something I didn't even notice the first time. Our very first drive...should have been 2nd and 4 from UF's 37 yard line. They call a late hit on Calbert. Initially looked a little late, but on review it was so clearly before the whistle and before the receiver hit the ground!! Now 2nd and 19 from our 48!! Garbage....trash.
videotogif_2020.06.04_01.18.04.gif
20200604_010613.jpg

20200604_011108.jpg

Last edited:
This summer, we all watch the 98 season live on YouTube each Saturday night leading up to ‘20 season opener. Same YouTube channel started at same time. Run a game thread for each one.

Or if you think that’s incredibly lame, then forget I said it and... LOOK A SQUIRREL!
I think there is actually an app that lets people do such a thing. Or we could get in a discord server and somebody could share their stream straight through the app. I’ve done it before with comedy shows just for the laughs. Fun time!

Reactions: engineerVOL
This year's game? You got me watching it and already piiiissed at something I didn't even notice the first time. Our very first drive...should have been 2nd and 4 from UF's 37 yard line. They call a late hit on Calbert. Initially looked a little late, but on review it was so clearly before the whistle and befpre the receiver hit the ground!! Now 2nd and 19 from our 48!! Garbage....trash.
View attachment 284743
View attachment 284744

View attachment 284741
No I was watching the ‘97 game

Reactions: Devo182
Was Bass, Charger and Invol the ones that posted all the time? Who all else is missing? There's not much to read anymore. Hopefully we will get some practice news before long.
Who? Those sound like some sketchy characters. Along with names like NicksJunk, Slogree, and PainDeMyAss.

Still 1st quarter, 0-7 in the swamp. Just got a fumble recovery on Trask by Toots. This was just a couple plays after another freshman, Burrell, fell on a fumble by the sideline, but was ruled to have tapped the ball with one pinky toenail out of bounds. Typical UT luck. But we got it back anyway. Great 1st down run to set us up right outside the end zone. Now 2nd and goal from the 3. Time to even things up.

We got em right where we want em with this play call and Gray completely whiffs on the block. Otherwise Pope is high stepping into the end zone and the Gator crowd goes hush as we flex a little. All downhill from here. Time to turn it off.

videotogif_2020.06.04_01.49.28.gif

Yikes. Mike Norvell already losing the team before having ever coach a game.

The game is a mess...I understand and appreciate empowering young folk...but pubicly calling out head coach. Yikes!

Have a come to jesus meeting....then, hit reser button. Wouldnt put up with that ****.

Yup, Johnny could be hard on assistant coaches, that's why so many went on to be successful.
He was last of old school coaches at TN. He demanded excellence, and, was able to be hard on his asst coaches - in a day when it was tolerated.

Anymore we're forced to read books to 'self educate' on EQ, IQ, etc. Which is good, to an extent. At some point though, it just
becomes mental masturbation.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Yikes. Mike Norvell already losing the team before having ever coach a game.

Corner36 (Buck) has called Norvell a bad hire for awhile. Compared him to Butch Jones. Said he’s messing up badly on the recruiting trail in FL HS’s. Norvell won’t be there much longer. Multiple bad hires in a row for FSU. Sounds all too familiar. Hopefully their next hire is much better and helps make that conference more competitive.

Corner36 (Buck) has called Norvell a bad hire for awhile. Compared him to Butch Jones. Said he’s messing up badly on the recruiting trail in FL HS’s. Norvell won’t be there much longer. Multiple bad hires in a row for FSU. Sounds all too familiar. Hopefully their next hire is much better and helps make that conference more competitive.

He did an outstanding job at Memphis elevating the program to better heights than what Fuente had. But he also inherited a good situation and didn’t have to start from scratch like Fuente. There’s no getting around this though. Norvell has a lot of PR work to do in the next 24 hours.

Reactions: barrylee
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back