Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnny 's passing brings back old memories. He was an outgoing guy who would strike up a conversation with anybody regardless of who you were. I met him first back in the 80's at a Chamber event. He was the king of Knoxville at that point. He asked me who I was and if I had gone to a UT. I told him I had not, that Battle did not offer a scholarship for me to play for them so I went to another school. I told him I was always a Vol fan first and foremost and that my sister had been in the POTS and father was a grad. He told me that was fine, that being a big fan was what was important. Through the years we would occasionally see each other at other places and events and he was always the first to stick his hand out and say hello. It was because of his restoring the program that I started donating and buying season tickets back then. A Vol legend of the game.

I was 21 and in the Navy when Johnny finally came home. I think we’d been hoping for that since I was in high school. I only made it home on leave a few times before my discharge so I didn’t get to go to many games the first 5 years he was here but after my discharge in ’81 I had almost 12 years with him on the sideline. I was one of those who was sort of sad/disappointed when it became time for him to step aside for a new man. I followed him on his 2nd tour at Pitt but one of the things among many that I’m probably going to remember most is even after that was over and it was time he hung up his whistle for good, he came on right back home. It’s been especially wonderful the last few years having him around the program. The sad news today with his passing is a bit heartbreaking but now he’s headed home to glory for one more time. Godspeed Coach. You will be forever loved and missed by so many of the faithful until we meet again some glad day. jmo.

I’m looking into buying a handgun for the first time. I live in NJ about 20 mins outside of Philadelphia and the rioting/looters are starting to come into the suburb areas. I think this is a completely separate issue, but last night someone tried to break into my car and house as well and even though they weren’t successful I really think I want a handgun for protection. Any recommendations on a make/model? Thanks guys!

If you haven’t already decided, take a look at the H&K VP-9. One of the best handgun triggers you’ll ever squeeze. Most importantly, though, train with whatever you decide on. Shoot it, then shoot it, then shoot it, the. Shoot it some more. You don’t want to have to figure out what you’re doing during a high stress situation. By then it HAS to be second nature.

Too young to remember Johnny, but I watched the Sugar Vols game just last week, and damn, that was a fun one. None of the announcers gave us a chance. After halftime the sideline reporter even told Jimmy Johnson, “I still think you’re number 1.” What a satisfying win. I’ve watched the Miracle at Southbend as well. Johnny definitely provided VN with some wonderful memories. He also laid the foundation for our run in the 90s. Hell of a player, hell of a coach and from the stories, surely a great man! Lost a significant part of our great tradition and a true VFL today. RIP Johnny

I was on a flight with Coach Majors in 2009 and as we were all waiting to board he was a bit ahead of me in line. He turned and was just looking around and I smiled. He realized I knew who he was and turned back and smiled at me. He was seated when I boarded and as I walked past I said "How are you doing, Coach? Go Vols!". He smiled so big and said "Just fine, thank you, and you? Go Vols!" RIP Coach.

Omg. Was just thinking about a story I posted last night about running into Peyton a long time ago and it made me remember the one encounter I had with Johnny. I’ve told it here before, don’t want to rehash it right now, but I was just remembering that and how friendly and funny and accessible he was. His wife too.

I was literally thinking about that and smiling when I opened this thread and saw he’d passed. Like a hard smack in the mouth. Dammit.

RIP Coach.

i get that college football is bigger now than ever, but it's weeks like htis week that you remember why you became a fan in the first place. and it's not because of stats, likes, retweets, rankings, 5*'s, message boards or any of that stuff.

that's your team, representing your state, your school, your family. and guys like Pat Dye and Johnny Majors got that. and they were perfect for their respective programs at the time they were hired. i hate that there's no way to ever really recapture that.

some of that is simply because of how young i was and how i perceived it. growing up you find out about certain things and that it' probably isn't as "saturday evening post" as you remember it.

but it doesn't matter, because that is how i remember it, and how it makes you feel doesn't really change, no matter how much reality gets dumped on it.

college football, and more importantly the SEC, lost a couple of historical figures this week....personality in buckets, competitive as all get out, and demanded a lot....both were very well respected. and i think they genuinely respected each other a great deal.

and they helped make TN v Auburn in the 80's one of the more anticipated games of the season....

Go Vols. War Eagle.
1591197025475.png

i get that college football is bigger now than ever, but it's weeks like htis week that you remember why you became a fan in the first place. and it's not because of stats, likes, retweets, rankings, 5*'s, message boards or any of that stuff.

that's your team, representing your state, your school, your family. and guys like Pat Dye and Johnny Majors got that. and they were perfect for their respective programs at the time they were hired. i hate that there's no way to ever really recapture that.

some of that is simply because of how young i was and how i perceived it. growing up you find out about certain things and that it' probably isn't as "saturday evening post" as you remember it.

but it doesn't matter, because that is how i remember it, and how it makes you feel doesn't really change, no matter how much reality gets dumped on it.

college football, and more importantly the SEC, lost a couple of historical figures this week....personality in buckets, competitive as all get out, and demanded a lot....both were very well respected. and i think they genuinely respected each other a great deal.

and they helped make TN v Auburn in the 80's one of the more anticipated games of the season....

Go Vols. War Eagle.
View attachment 284561

Agreed, buttttt you shouldn’t have put that, because the star gazers will probably attack you, even with the week that’s going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back