Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone taking Auburn over A&M? I just don't see how they can win with Bo Nix being so terrible at throwing. Even TLaw was kept partly in check by A&M and their rushing game was totally shut down by them. Now, Auburn can run just fine, as can Nix. But if Etienne and Clemson couldn't sustain rushing, I don't see Auburn. And that's their main hope. They will be too 1 dimensional. Now can TAMU score enough? I think so, they have both passing and rushing threats.

Now...we haven't really seen TAMU yet. They've played 2 scrubs and Clemson, who is just on a different level right now. But I'd take their unknowns over Auburn and Mond is light years ahead of Nix rn.

Will be a defensive battle, but I like TAMU 17-6. If Auburn is to win, they really need a defensive score or a big play from their track star Shwartz.
Im taking Auburn it will be a close aggie win.

Price picked the Vols to win tomorrow.

Boys, we can flip the narrative tomorrow. We can flip recruiting tomorrow. We can flip the future script for this team tomorrow. Let's go out and get this W!!!

It really has that Auburn feeling to it. Just a lot of weird things happening for UF at once and we are gaining some odd breed of unwarranted confidence, but who cares? We just need swagger of any type and put doubt in their minds. I think we can snap this one off.

How absolutely weird would it be if we beat UF and Pruitt has 3 ranked wins in 15 games? 3-4 vs ranked opponents, while having a losing record, a blowout loss vs Vandy, and a loss to Ga St. No one will know what the hell to think.

Reactions: WeeohdeeWood
Pretty interesting discussion on the Russillo pod today with Andy Staples. Two of my favorite guys in their respective fields. Russillo is really smart and thoughtful on the NBA and I think Staples is one of the smartest guys covering college football nationally. I believe Staples is one of the few who still defends Tennessee fans over Schiano Sunday.

Anyway, they spend about 3 minutes talking about the Tennessee program. The takeaway was basically that the only difference between Tennessee and Nebraska is Nebraska has accepted where they are and Tennessee hasn’t. Not sure I agree that’s the only difference - but it may be my orange blinders.

Anyway, inevitably Pruitt’s future comes up, as should be expected. I think Staples believes in Pruitt pretty highly (doesn’t say so in this podcast but has before on Twitter and such) but he says his fear for Tennessee is that we’re essentially trying to recruit the same types of players as Alabama and Georgia. The problem is that, because we’re down right now, we’ll continue to get the lesser talented 1/3rd of those high school players - i.e., we’ll never catch up to those two - and that doesn’t even mention the problem in Gainesville. Basically you start the season at a disadvantage against your top three opponents - and it’ll take better gameday coaching to bridge that gap both in the short term and long term.

Tl;dr, I don’t think I ever really thought of it this way. That we should be zigging when the top of the conference is zagging. I don’t know that it’s true or false - just a different way of looking at things.

Pretty interesting discussion on the Russillo pod today with Andy Staples. Two of my favorite guys in their respective fields. Russillo is really smart and thoughtful on the NBA and I think Staples is one of the smartest guys covering college football nationally. I believe Staples is one of the few who still defends Tennessee fans over Schiano Sunday.

Anyway, they spend about 3 minutes talking about the Tennessee program. The takeaway was basically that the only difference between Tennessee and Nebraska is Nebraska has accepted where they are and Tennessee hasn’t. Not sure I agree that’s the only difference - but it may be my orange blinders.

Anyway, inevitably Pruitt’s future comes up, as should be expected. I think Staples believes in Pruitt pretty highly (doesn’t say so in this podcast but has before on Twitter and such) but he says his fear for Tennessee is that we’re essentially trying to recruit the same types of players as Alabama and Georgia. The problem is that, because we’re down right now, we’ll continue to get the lesser talented 1/3rd of those high school players - i.e., we’ll never catch up to those two - and that doesn’t even mention the problem in Gainesville. Basically you start the season at a disadvantage against your top three opponents - and it’ll take better gameday coaching to bridge that gap both in the short term and long term.

Tl;dr, I don’t think I ever really thought of it this way. That we should be zigging when the top of the conference is zagging. I don’t know that it’s true or false - just a different way of looking at things.

Uh oh @Bassmaster_Vol somebody promoting podcasts.

maybe more
How they even gonna score that much? As long as we stay at home (maybe this is too much to ask with our discombobulation disease) and cover deep and keep them in front of us, I have a hard time seeing them reach 20 on offense (defensive scoring is a whole different concern).

How absolutely weird would it be if we beat UF and Pruitt has 3 ranked wins in 15 games? 3-4 vs ranked opponents, while having a losing record, a blowout loss vs Vandy, and a loss to Ga St. No one will know what the hell to think.
It would tell me that we have a young team and a team still trying to overcome the culture of losing, but that we’re heading in the right direction. 🤷‍♂️

USC's secondary has just been terrible so far. Hope Bryant tears them a new one. USC could be 1-6 rolling into Knoxville with an interim coach.

The talking heads always discount the fact that Nebraska is in a recruiting wasteland and we're not. Knoxville isn't prime recruiting real estate but it's located pretty well overall. Close to Charlotte and Atlanta. Close enough to Florida. Obviously close to the booming Middle TN area.

The blueprint for the rebuild doesn't involve becoming a powerhouse overnight. I think that it will either happen with stability and slowly elevating our status in the SEC (i.e., stop being in the bottom 3 teams, become a middle-tier team, become an upper middle-tier team, and finally become "in contention" with the big dogs annually), or we'll get lucky and skip a step because of a monster class and a Heisman-caliber player.

It's easy to write Tennessee off but our lot is due to bad coaching hires. Butch Jones had no trouble recruiting well here and he's an intern now. Literally no one wants him and he had two 10+ win teams on his hands that he squandered.

I do think that they have a point in that it's unlikely for us to be as talented as peak Bama and peak UGA year in and year out. But being slightly less talented doesn't mean an automatic loss by any means. It's either play like the big dogs and work harder, or accept 9-3 is our new ceiling and build towards that type of program. The latter is easier for sure and we could probably get there with a Leach or even a Jeff Monken who run offenses that are hard to gameplan for in the SEC.

The Vols win the toss and defer. Brooks with a touchback and Fl takes the ball. 1st down Trask throws the ball out to his right to set up a WR screen. Henry sniffs it out and stops him for a 2 yard gain.

Looking to establish the run, the Gators hand off to Perine but the Vols defensive front stands strong holding him to no gain.

3rd and 8, Trask looking to pass is pressured by Taylor, he throws up a desperation toss that is intercepted by Theo Jackson who runs it into the end zone. Vols lead 7-0 less than 2 mins into the 1st quarter.

Sounds like we should be Florida in this scenario. Atleast that’s our history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back