Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

SSVol

Opinionated Old Guy
Joined
Nov 26, 2012
Messages
4,261
Likes
9,766
Praying for you brother. As far as old people go, don't worry about us. I'm 73, recovered from both prostate cancer and a heart attack (3 stents). I'm not going to live forever anyway.

This week the wife and I are vacationing in Sierra Vista, AZ and we climbed two mountains this week, Miller Peak up to 7500 ft and another one today to 6400 ft. I've never felt so alive than I have today.

To SSVOL, don't worry, we kept our social distancing. Funny, there was nobody else up there either day.
And you called me an old fart?

I'm jealous. We've got 50 acres which are nicely walkable, but I'd love to be in the mountains right now.
 
Last edited:

chargervol

Coke Zero is hard to snort
Joined
Sep 7, 2014
Messages
17,140
Likes
56,019
Try being in the 1%, but I do understand the economic impact of this on the other 99%. I’m torn also, I’m in the upper risk, but I worry for my son and his family, and their future.
Unfortunately they're still learning of hidden risks that aren't restricted by age.
Evidence now pointing to people with allergies and casual marijuana smokers are at risk for more severe symptoms also.

Before someone says "so... they'll feel like crap for a couple of weeks but they likely won't die". That is true, at least somewhat. Also discovered severe damage being done to the lungs of people with heavier symptoms, very likely will result in future complications. Disappointing but even our young and invincible don't appear as immune as previously thought. 😕
 

Memphisvol87

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2012
Messages
1,709
Likes
2,419
Well death is an inevitability. Disease has and always will be part of life and the quarantine doesn’t stop that. It just makes it happen at a slower pace. It’s going to kill a bunch of people either way. That’s what makes it stupid.
Death is inevitable you’re right. But 30 years ago my cancer was 100% fatal. Now I can be cured. Slowing disease so we can fight and possibly cure it is not stupid. But feel free to go contribute in you’re own way.
 

Ulysees E. McGill

Chargervol is my homeboy
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
29,392
Likes
30,782
Try being in the 1%, but I do understand the economic impact of this on the other 99%. I’m torn also, I’m in the upper risk, but I worry for my son and his family, and their future.
That is me, do I selfishly only worry about protecting myself, or do I worry about their future? I would rather die, than for my kids and grandkids to have to live through an era like the 1930s...especially knowing that the worldwide social unrest that came from that devastation was a direct cause of WW2..that is scarier to me, than me dying...and trust me...I do NOT want to die. There is a lot I want to see and do...like touch a giant Sequoia or a Bristlecone pine, or stand under Delicate arch, or drive through Monument Valley, or stand on a glacier, and visit a glacial cave etc etc etc..
 

SSVol

Opinionated Old Guy
Joined
Nov 26, 2012
Messages
4,261
Likes
9,766
Unfortunately they're still learning of hidden risks that aren't restricted by age.
Evidence now pointing to people with allergies and casual marijuana smokers are at risk for more severe symptoms also.

Before someone says "so... they'll feel like crap for a couple of weeks but they likely won't die". That is true, at least somewhat. Also discovered severe damage being done to the lungs of people with heavier symptoms, very likely will result in future complications. Disappointing but even our young and invincible don't appear as immune as previously thought. 😕
The rate of under 50 deaths is apparently much worse in the south than the rest of the country, possibly because of DM and obesity. For some reason New Orleans is particularly bad.
 

Ulysees E. McGill

Chargervol is my homeboy
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
29,392
Likes
30,782
Well death is an inevitability. Disease has and always will be part of life and the quarantine doesn’t stop that. It just makes it happen at a slower pace. It’s going to kill a bunch of people either way. That’s what makes it stupid.
I have to agree that slowing it will save lives..but if this goes on 3-6 more months...what kind of life will be left to live?
 

Ulysees E. McGill

Chargervol is my homeboy
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
29,392
Likes
30,782
It’s delaying the inevitable
Every model I have seen predicts pretty much the same numbers of total infections...it is just over many more months, and the models say that many more will die if it is just left to race through simply because there is not enough material and manpower for that big of a deluge.
 

Orangeredblooded

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2017
Messages
8,229
Likes
15,314
Unfortunately they're still learning of hidden risks that aren't restricted by age.
Evidence now pointing to people with allergies and casual marijuana smokers are at risk for more severe symptoms also.

Before someone says "so... they'll feel like crap for a couple of weeks but they likely won't die". That is true, at least somewhat. Also discovered severe damage being done to the lungs of people with heavier symptoms, very likely will result in future complications. Disappointing but even our young and invincible don't appear as immune as previously thought. 😕
I’ve read up and have from the very beginning of this, because of my job. It’s been evolving, from the news reports, symptoms and who it affects from the start and even how we protect ourselves from it. Unfortunately, the early reports were that young people were not as susceptible as older people.
 

Ulysees E. McGill

Chargervol is my homeboy
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
29,392
Likes
30,782
Unfortunately they're still learning of hidden risks that aren't restricted by age.
Evidence now pointing to people with allergies and casual marijuana smokers are at risk for more severe symptoms also.

Before someone says "so... they'll feel like crap for a couple of weeks but they likely won't die". That is true, at least somewhat. Also discovered severe damage being done to the lungs of people with heavier symptoms, very likely will result in future complications. Disappointing but even our young and invincible don't appear as immune as previously thought. 😕
Those are still far outliers..just like my mom was a far outlier. Her cancer 93% of the time was a very non aggressive type that people live with for many many years without even doing treatments, and when treated it normally responds extremely well....but she was in that 7%, well actually 1.7% because 5.2-3% were moderately aggressive cases..

Hers however was extremely aggressive and nothing even phased it at all. Diagnosed with one tiny tiny lesion in the bottom of her left lung in Dec 18 and dies with huge tumors all through her brain, liver, lungs, pelvis and spine.


There are always outliers.
 
Likes: jakez4ut

Ulysees E. McGill

Chargervol is my homeboy
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
29,392
Likes
30,782
I’ve read up and have from the very beginning of this, because of my job. It’s been evolving, from the news reports, symptoms and who it affects from the start and even how we protect ourselves from it. Unfortunately, the early reports were that young people were not as susceptible as older people.
And young people are still not as subceptible barring underlying health issues.
 

Orangeredblooded

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2017
Messages
8,229
Likes
15,314
That is me, do I selfishly only worry about protecting myself, or do I worry about their future? I would rather die, than for my kids and grandkids to have to live through an era like the 1930s...especially knowing that the worldwide social unrest that came from that devastation was a direct cause of WW2..that is scarier to me, than me dying...and trust me...I do NOT want to die. There is a lot I want to see and do...like touch a giant Sequoia or a Bristlecone pine, or stand under Delicate arch, or drive through Monument Valley, or stand on a glacier, and visit a glacial cave etc etc etc..
I’m not a defeatist by any means, I’m a very stubborn person and there’s a lot of unfinished business and bucket list in my life and I’m going to do it. (With my granddaughter along, of course).
 

chargervol

Coke Zero is hard to snort
Joined
Sep 7, 2014
Messages
17,140
Likes
56,019
Those are still far outliers..just like my mom was a far outlier. Her cancer 93% of the time was a very non aggressive type that people live with for many many years without even doing treatments, and when treated it normally responds extremely well....but she was in that 7%, well actually 1.7% because 5.2-3% were moderately aggressive cases..

Hers however was extremely aggressive and nothing even phased it at all. Diagnosed with one tiny tiny lesion in the bottom of her left lung in Dec 18 and dies with huge tumors all through her brain, liver, lungs, pelvis and spine.


There are always outliers.
I may be misunderstanding what you meant but higher end moderate and severe symptoms in Covid aren't in that level of rarity.
 

VN Store




Sponsors
 

Top