Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know maybe because its less of them ? Minority means smaller number right ? Well the odds are stacked against them. If it was 50% or greater they wouldn't be considered a minority.
Doesn't really apply when the majority of players (most coaches are former players) are minorities

JG next year could be very improved
He throws a good deep ball already
If he fixes a few small things that are fixable he could be very serviceable if not pretty damn decent
Let’s not throw in the towel in January
Honestly we should be pretty happy to have a senior QB that apparently loves UT regardless of what happens coming back
Am i crazy here or isn't JG's worst attribute his deep throws? He's never completed a pass to a receiver in stride over 25 yards. Poor timing on deep routes is exactly why people go crazy watching him play...

Old school
Wedding Crashers
The breakup
Couples retreat
Four Christmas’
True detective
Swingers

I liked all those movies. I think he’s funny and hope he stays in comedy. I haven’t seen Hacksaw Ridge but True detective is dang good
True Detective season one was incredible, the rest are meh.

even word for word almost like ...said already have others what repeating thread King D'Eriq the into popping keep People

.post other any read don't legit that posters of number (dyslexic are many) high alarmingly an there's...Man
Old school
Wedding Crashers
The breakup
Couples retreat
Four Christmas’
True detective
Swingers

I liked all those movies. I think he’s funny and hope he stays in comedy. I haven’t seen Hacksaw Ridge but True detective is dang good
see Hacksaw

i don't think anyone is advocating that lol....

of course, with the way some franchises go thru head coaches, you could argue otherwise i guess....lol.
I guess I am speaking for more than just the NFL. I've see bad candidates hired or promoted (regardless of color) and it really should boil down to qualifications and fit.

I don't care if you are green or blue, if you are the best candidate, you should be hired. But you can't be green or blue and be the worst candidate and expect to get hired.
If during each opening there were as many black candidates as white candidates interviewed, what would be the percentage of minority coaches in the NFL, in your opinion?

I don’t know my answer.

Guys like Eric Bieniemy and Robert Saleh have as good or better resumes than just about every other coach hired in the NFL this year. I would've taken either over the guys Cleveland and the Giants hired.

And that comment is a big reason the Rooney rule exists. I wouldn't call it outright racist, but there is an underlying, probably unintentional, prejudice in that way of thinking. (I am not saying you are racist, just commenting on how that comment has always been used about black QBs and coaches) That was always said about black qbs in the past as an excuse for why they never got any real opportunities. And would always be encouraged to change positions at lower levels. Now you look out and arguably the top 4 QBs in the league right now are black. You could also say the same the other way about white RBs for example. "It's a different skill set" so most talented white RBs get told they should change positions at lower levels. Now CMC is starting to prove that wrong.
toatally agree.

cause that's what the rule made it.

the owners can, do and will do whatever they want.

this is just an extra step to follow, and it's being treated as such.

and the more a particular minority candidate continues not to get a head job, the more questions will be raised about the viability of that guy as a real candidate for future jobs.

so the rooney rule, while well intended, hasn't accomplished it's goal, save increasing # of interviews, and in some cases, has actually hurt the chances for some minority candidates of getting a head job.....
I don't think it's that cut and dry. I think the Rooney rule is working as intended, just maybe not as much as it should yet. A good example of that is Brian Flores. The Rooney rule helped him get his foot in the door with many interviews and he kept making really good impressions on those interviews even though he wasn't getting the jobs. Eventually Miami did hire him and a lot of that was due to referrals from previous interviews. Before the Rooney rule guys like him weren't even getting interviews so it was hard to build up that referral base. The same thing will happen with many of the other Rooney rule check box interviews too, assuming they don't all just use Marvin Lewis to check the box. I bet guys like Bieniemy and Saleh will be head coaches very soon. And having the opportunity to get interviews this year and last will help that even though it didn't work yet.

If during each opening there were as many black candidates as white candidates interviewed, what would be the percentage of minority coaches in the NFL, in your opinion?

I don’t know my answer.
Realistically, there would probably not be equal percentage, but ultimately it shouldn't matter what your skin color is. I know some would argue that point to dismiss the subject, but I believe there's only one race--the human race--and what you say and how you act and how you work matters much more than how you look.

I'm religiously and politically conservative, but I avoid politics as much as I possibly can. This is a matter of principle.

Random Q: when did y’alls kids give up the Paci?

Don’t let them go past 1. Their teeth and gums will get jacked. If he/she is past that no worries, just take it away at night and never look back, not even for your own sanity. Of mine only one took a paci, the others were like: um excuse me, what is this?

Last edited:
And you know that how?

Maybe the other candidates were just more qualified.

Because candidates have said and complained out the legitimacy of these interviews. They talk to the coaches that got the jobs and ask them about their interview process and it’s totally different or half assed.

Also it’s pretty obvious sometimes like when the raiders hired gruden (lol). They interviewed Tee before that. Does anyone really think that Tee was getting a head coaching job in the NfL?

I don't think it's that cut and dry. I think the Rooney rule is working as intended, just maybe not as much as it should yet. A good example of that is Brian Flores. The Rooney rule helped him get his foot in the door with many interviews and he kept making really good impressions on those interviews even though he wasn't getting the jobs. Eventually Miami did hire him and a lot of that was due to referrals from previous interviews. Before the Rooney rule guys like him weren't even getting interviews so it was hard to build up that referral base. The same thing will happen with many of the other Rooney rule check box interviews too, assuming they don't all just use Marvin Lewis to check the box. I bet guys like Bieniemy and Saleh will be head coaches very soon. And having the opportunity to get interviews this year and last will help that even though it didn't work yet.
i think there's probably examples on both sides of it.

i think there was a need for the rule to start with.

i also think there are some unintended consequences as a result of it.....as well as some successes.

it's just not a one size fits all solution. for a "black/white" issue, there's really not a black/white answer......

Bienemy is a good example to me....the guy that got the Giants job....what's his name....did the Giants interview EB? he interviewed twice wiht the Panthers, and supposedly made a great impression...there were some very positive comments about him coming out of both interivews, and had Tepper not been able to get Rhule, i think he probably has a legit shot here.

so he may be one that benefits...one day?

there's others that are just token, and we all know it.

and no one can determine "intent" as far as racism being a part of the decision making process for an owner or GM.....so it becomes a straw man argument at some point.

but as long as guys like the guy the giants gets hired out of nowhere.....it'll raise questions for some. rightfully so? dunno.

Realistically, there would probably not be equal percentage, but ultimately it shouldn't matter what your skin color is. I know some would argue that point to dismiss the subject, but I believe there's only one race--the human race--and what you say and how you act and how you work matters much more than how you look.

I'm religiously and politically conservative, but I avoid politics as much as I possibly can. This is a matter of principle.
I’m with you on all of this and I’m not attacking you personally. This is a question of social psychology as much as anything political.

If 70%+ of the labor force are minorities, you would think 70% of the coaching staffs would also be made up by minorities. The fact that this isn’t the case suggests their is a discrepancy somewhere.

Now, I’m not going to go as far to say that it’s 100% racism. But I do think it’s very likely due to the fact that minority candidates don’t get the opportunity to be seen or heard from - and that’s what the Rooney rule attempted to fix.

Am i crazy here or isn't JG's worst attribute his deep throws? He's never completed a pass to a receiver in stride over 25 yards. Poor timing on deep routes is exactly why people go crazy watching him play...
No, you definitely aren't crazy. JG can't play. Period. Another year of him as the starter caps our season at 8-5, again.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
Look at all these fired head coaches getting jobs, high profile jobs. Then we have the intern. Two years later.......
I would think that would be a strike against him next year when he starts to actively look for a job. What have you been doing for 3 years? I was an intern at Alabama....

I’m with you on all of this and I’m not attacking you personally. This is a question of social psychology as much as anything political.

If 70%+ of the labor force are minorities, you would think 70% of the coaching staffs would also be made up by minorities. The fact that this isn’t the case suggests their is a discrepancy somewhere.

Now, I’m not going to go as far to say that it’s 100% racism. But I do think it’s very likely due to the fact that minority candidates don’t get the opportunity to be seen or heard from - and that’s what the Rooney rule attempted to fix.
I don't know if I agree with the correlation that the % of the labor force should be the same as the % of the coaching staffs. If every person in the labor force had a natural progression into coaching, then maybe. But I don't think most players are interested in coaching, do you?

If players:coaches isn't 1:1, then you have to reset your percentages.

Reactions: gainesvol82
Me logging in today:
What's going on today Volnation?
Talking about Kuechly? New RB coach? Same debate about if JG starts?

Oh....
tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back