Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think I'll go reread Blood Meridian.

A legion of horribles, hundreds in number, half naked or clad in costumes attic or biblical or wardrobed out of a fevered dream with the skins of animals and silk finery and pieces of uniform still tracked with the blood of prior owners, coats of slain dragoons, frogged and braided cavalry jackets, one in a stovepipe hat and one with an umbrella and one in white stockings and a bloodstained wedding veil and some in headgear or cranefeathers or rawhide helmets that bore the horns of bull or buffalo and one in a pigeontailed coat worn backwards and otherwise naked and one in the armor of a Spanish conquistador, the breastplate and pauldrons deeply dented with old blows of mace or sabre done in another country by men whose very bones were dust and many with their braids spliced up with the hair of other beasts until they trailed upon the ground and their horses' ears and tails worked with bits of brightly colored cloth and one whose horse's whole head was painted crimson red and all the horsemen's faces gaudy and grotesque with daubings like a company of mounted clowns, death hilarious, all howling in a barbarous tongue and riding down upon them like a horde from a hell more horrible yet than the brimstone land of Christian reckoning, screeching and yammering and clothed in smoke like those vaporous beings in regions beyond right knowing where the eye wanders and the lip jerks and drools.

Dammit, I love McCarthy.

If anything it creates excitement for lower level programs who think they'll never have a shot at anything more than a potential New Year's Day bowl. An expanded playoff gives them a chance to slip in and show the big boys what they have. Imagine if the UCF team from a few years past had that chance?
Screw the lower level programs. Who gives a F about them and their “excitement”.

We’re not trying to hand out participation ribbons here...

"ignorant to the fact" :rolleyes: What are the recruiting implications?
You really don’t see how increasing parity in college football would level the playing field in recruiting as well?

Basically and handful of teams can, and will continue to, recruit at a much higher level than others because they can practically guarantee a playoff appearance (or multiple) during a recruits 4 years.

Increasing parity means the teams in the 7-18 area of the top 25 have an increased chance of being able to compete for a playoff spot, meaning that guys that would normally go ride the pine for 3 of their 4 years at an Ohio St. would be able to go somewhere that could offer more of an opportunity to play, better relationship with the staff, or whatever else might be important to them while not eliminating their chance to compete for a title.

This would be especially helpful for us given that we can’t seriously compete with Bama or UGAs pitch for competing for a title with the current 4 team playoff and our status in the realm of college football.

Gotta say... Triscuits with Monterey Jack Jalapeño cheese and a glass of scotch is a bit of a discordant pairing, and I’ll probably regret having this at 11:00 at night, but what the hell, it’s yummy.

You really don’t see how increasing parity in college football would level the playing field in recruiting as well?

Basically and handful of teams can, and will continue to, recruit at a much higher level than others because they can practically guarantee a playoff appearance (or multiple) during a recruits 4 years.

Increasing parity means the teams in the 7-18 area of the top 25 have an increased chance of being able to compete for a playoff spot, meaning that guys that would normally go ride the pine for 3 of their 4 years at an Ohio St. would be able to go somewhere that could offer more of an opportunity to play, better relationship with the staff, or whatever else might be important to them while not eliminating their chance to compete for a title.

This would be especially helpful for us given that we can’t seriously compete with Bama or UGAs pitch for competing for a title with the current 4 team playoff and our status in the realm of college football.
I guess that's our difference. I think we can and will compete with Bama and UGAs with Pruitt at the helm. And I am viewing our interest from that perspective.

I guess that's our difference. I think we can and will compete with Bama and UGAs with Pruitt at the helm. And I am viewing our interest from that perspective.
I’m 100% behind CJP and his ability as a coach but recruiting wise, even with the staff of very talented recruiters we have, we’re at a heavy disadvantage. It’s one of the reasons we’re having trouble getting some of these highly rated recruits even though they seem to admire our coaches, facilities, and tradition.

I’m interested in what your reasoning is against the expansion? I know you couldn’t care less about how it affects other teams, but how do you see it negatively affecting UT?

Screw the lower level programs. Who gives a F about them and their “excitement”.

We’re not trying to hand out participation ribbons here...
It creates better football. Not talking about participation ribbons or any such thing. It creates better football and that makes it worth it.

If anything it creates excitement for lower level programs who think they'll never have a shot at anything more than a potential New Year's Day bowl. An expanded playoff gives them a chance to slip in and show the big boys what they have. Imagine if the UCF team from a few years past had that chance?
This is it. At the moment few teams have a realistic shot, and the pool of possibilities will continue to decrease over the years as the best players continue to go to fewer and fewer colleges because they want to be able to make it to the playoffs.

Sick of the dweebs setting up camp in here and droning on about that. I guess they're scarce at the moment.
I am not a dweeb, and I am still right here. I will always want an eight team playoff, I have wanted one since I was a teenager...I mean what kind of lame ass want LESS meaningful football games....plus it gives us more chances to get in.

I will never understand the dweebs that do not want a real playoff, for one thing I believe talent will spread out more if kids didn't think they have to go to one of just five-six teams to have a chance at the playoffs during their careers, for another it will be awesome when a team like the Sugar Vols that got better as the season went on, or had time to overcome early season injuries wreck everybody ranked higher than them.

It will be awesome, and it will benefit us...no lose situation.

Bish you had them in the 4 team 3 hours ago! 😃

Edit: I think it would hurt the Vols. Not really wanting to talk about it, though
How do you think it would hurt the Vols? I think it helps us immensely in recruiting and down the road. We have been bridesmaids in a lot of elite players recruitment just in the last two years because of them going somewhere they thought had a better chance at the playoffs..

Not even gonna worry about Kiffin. I'm sure he'll win some recruiting battles, but I have confidence our staff will win their fair share as well. For all the flash Lane promises, he's lacking in actual content to sell. His biggest claim to success is his time as a Bama OC. They were fine before him, and they were fine after him. He doesn't have a lot to point to as a HC IMO.
I don't get the fear of Kiffin in this place...and I never will.

If nothing else, Mizzou and Arky should take a look at the UAB coach. He's done a good job rebuilding that program.
He seems like a Matt Rhule type. I think the dude will do well somewhere...

On another thought...It is hilarious that B!tch can't get a sniff even with so many openings, and such desperation at some of them..

Mizzou and Arky were fools for jumping onto this carousel...but maybe they will luck into their version of JP.

Reactions: Sleegro
Whole point of expanding the playoffs would be getting all 5 P5 conference champions in. So you either figure out a 6 team playoff or 8 team playoff. Personally I think 8, with strong consideration given to the best team out of the G5.
Six is stupid..eight or let it die. It gets all the P5 conf champs in and gives a hot team and some little guys a chance.

The P5 conference champs, best of the G5 and then two at large bids would be ideal IMO.

It would have some ugly blowouts in the beginning but I think over time it could bring more parity to CFB.

Prospects wouldn’t just continually sign to the same 3-4 schools and ride the pine in exchange for an almost guaranteed playoff spot (i.e. Clemson right now since their conference isn’t anywhere close to slowing them down). You’d see more of these talented players going somewhere where they could still potentially make the playoffs but could also start in their first or second year (which I think would also cut down on transfers a bit as well).
Exactly

Not really. I’d much rather see Ohio State win it’s all than LSU or UGA.
I'd cheer for LSU out of that trio. If you base your argument on who we recruit against, I'd say it's obvious UGA is who we go head to head with the most. But between LSU and Ohio State, most years it's probably about even. And I hate Ohio State. So ef em.

I believe Ole Miss zeroed in on Kiffin before Luke was even given his pink slip. Explains his somewhat abrupt dismissal. To me this is a home run hire for them considering the circumstances and their position in the SEC West pecking order. You could argue Kiffin will be the 3rd best coach in the West. Ahead of both Orgeron and Malzahn.
How could you argue it, just because you say it? It is ludicrous, I mean what has the dumbass ever really accomplished...anywhere...as a head coach? Are we supposed to quake in fear because he is a decent OC?

I will never understand the Kiffin cult..

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back