Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lmao if you think 5 picks is the line then you might as well say you think he’s going to be benched.

No way he’s staying under 5 with 6 games remaining. That would be nuts.
Give me a QB who can throw 3 TDs and 1 int per game vs the guy who will throw for 1 TD and 0 int per game 10/10 times. We need something to excite the fan base, the recruits, and most importantly our offensive players. When Maurer is on the field you can tell the team has that extra juice that we don't have with JG. it is what it is.

Give me a QB who can throw 3 TDs and 1 int per game vs the guy who will throw for 1 TD and 0 int per game 10/10 times. We need something to excite the fan base, the recruits, and most importantly our offensive players. When Maurer is on the field you can tell the team has that extra juice that we don't have with JG. it is what it is.

This is a great post and relevant for what I am saying. I agree the 3:1 guy is the choice BUT in at least 2 and maybe as many as 4 games we won’t need that kind of production from the qb to win. In games like Vandy/uab, maybe Kentucky and USCe, we can win the same way we won against MSU

Absolutely.

He’s thrown four interceptions in 48 attempts. That’s a 1/5 ratio.

If he stays at that pace he’s gonna throw 10 more.
Well sure that’s the pace(1/12) and the reason for the op. Most would agree he can and will improve on that pace. I am saying if he doesn’t improve that ratio he is going to get benched

I’ll up it to 6. One a game is seems acceptable but IF multiple picks a game happen as you say he isnt going to be the qb that gives us the best chance to win against Vandy-USCe-Kentucky-uab.

Well sure that’s the pace(1:12) and the reason for the op. Most would agree he can and will improve on that pace. I am saying if he doesn’t improve that ratio he is going to get bench.

I’ll up it to 6. One a game is acceptable but IF multiple picks a game happen as you say he isnt going to be the qb that gives us the best chance to win against Vandy-USCe-Kentucky-uab.

3 this weekend if he plays.

Well sure that’s the pace(1:12) and the reason for the op. Most would agree he can and will improve on that pace. I am saying if he doesn’t improve that ratio he is going to get bench.

I’ll up it to 6. One a game is acceptable but IF multiple picks a game happen as you say he isnt going to be the qb that gives us the best chance to win against Vandy-USCe-Kentucky-uab.
Eh, I don’t think picks are going to get him benched. He’s proven to be miles better than JG regardless.

you don’t want JG to start again man. JG basically only throws outside the hashes and isn’t mobile at all. I’m happy for him last week and glad he could contribute something positive but him being our QB makes our offense much easier to defend.
If he goes back to playing like he did last year I might. I think Maurer is starting to get overhyped. He has to cut down on turnovers and Chaney needs to be a little more conservative with him

Reactions: barrylee
3 this weekend if he plays.

I see this week as a good opportunity for either QB to gain some confidence. I think we score into the 20s and put up some decent yardage numbers. I am
Just not impressed with Bama defense.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say either qb throws for 200+ and 3TDs with only 1 pick

Reactions: scvolfan7
Maurer will throw picks, but he'll also move the damn ball up the field like a quarterback is supposed to. Even if you don't end up with points, field position matters, and we never had a chance playing the field position game against any team until Maurer started playing. The offense seems to be much better balanced with him at the helm.

He plays fast, he anticipates, seems to have good awareness of where pressure is coming from, and can scramble and when he has to. May make some mistakes due to overconfidence and lack of experience, but that isn't the same as a mistake due to incompetence. Dude can ball.

If he goes back to playing like he did last year I might. I think Maurer is starting to get overhyped. He has to cut down on turnovers and Chaney needs to be a little more conservative with him
In 5 starts JG is one int short of his previous career total.

Maurer will throw picks, but he'll also move the damn ball up the field like a quarterback is supposed to. Even if you don't end up with points, field position matters, and we never had a chance playing the field position game against any team until Maurer started playing. The offense seems to be much better balanced with him at the helm.

He plays fast, he anticipates, seems to have good awareness of where pressure is coming from, and can scramble and when he has to. May make some mistakes due to overconfidence and lack of experience, but that isn't the same as a mistake due to incompetence. Dude can ball.

Now that’s making a very big assumption. You can’t assume he’s always going to throw his picks on the right end of the field imo

No doubt the offense is WAY better balanced with him at QB. That’s why we need him to cut this 1/12 ratio down so we can shine and win 3-4 more games

Reactions: barrylee
What is the official Tennessee orange?

The Tennessee Volunteer colors we selected from the color at the center of a daisy and the white petals. (Growing plentiful on The Hill) So, a shade closer to yellow is accurate.
Don't even care, I love the bright orange we wear now, and I detest the yellow...they were not a "shade closer to yellow" they were freakin yellow some years. I have hated it in years past when they have sometimes made them darker orange, not quite burnt, but closer to it.

On the second pick of Maurer - who immediately went up to Palmer and told him what he should have done? Palmer paid attention to what he said.

Callaway.

In a previous game, who told JG on the sideline on the pick he threw that JG misread coverage.

Callaway.

Callaway knows. All receivers are coached to moved toward the QB in those scramble situations. When Palmer saw Maurer was coming his way in a scramble situation he is supposed to move toward him, not stay along the end line for the jump ball. Maurer should not have thrown it, but he trusted his receiver to hold up his end. He didn't. Just like JG not reading the corner jumping the out with Callaway. If the corner jumps the route, the QB holds the throw and then delivers a quick, hard, pad level throw to the receiver on the up move before the S arrives.

FWIW, Callaway will be the consummate professional in the league. VFL.

I think so too. Absolutely nothing to do with that. Two responses about how they played Arkansas...I didn't even say wow what a win or anything about their game vs Arkansas. I merely liked the decision.

Can't one just respect a gutsy decision from another team without it meaning anything else? People take simple statements and blow them into something that is peripheral and was never even said. "Trump wore a nice suit today...OH SO SUPPORT RUSSIA NOW?!?" This rhetorical style is so prevalent, one can't even seem to make a simple observation about something without a tangential and non-sequitur backlash.
Agreed..but I see Jack Burton liked this and thought I'd even out your likes. That dude deliberatly posts provacative crap, and brings it on himself, it is deserved.

It’s funny, I don’t think Maurer factored into that MSU win much. He had a nice run that JG in no way manufactures. But he also cost us a couple scores that JG probably salvages field goals out of. JG could have won that game with our game plan and the way our defense played.

But would JG have even been able to get us down into the redzone that many times in the first half to be able to kick FGs I think BM was a bigger factor than you are giving him credit for. Maurer's 2 long runs were probably the biggest part of the running game in the first half and he connected on some throws that JG typically doesn't make because of his tendency to hesitate.

Maurer is just more bouncy so it looks better to us all. Our offense still kinda sucks with Maurer (at this point). But maybe he’s buoyed the offensive line and defensive side of the ball 🤷🏻‍♂️

I didn't think the offense sucked at all last Saturday with Maurer in the game. The only thing that really sucked was on the 2 plays when he made poor decisions in the redzone. But with BM at the helm the offense at least got into the redzone 3 times in the first half, and he made 2-3 critical 3rd down completions for first downs to keep some of those drives alive. There are going to be plenty of growing pains for a true freshman QB to be sure, but so far I think the offense has looked pretty effective overall with BM at QB.

On the second pick of Maurer - who immediately went up to Palmer and told him what he should have done? Palmer paid attention to what he said.

Callaway.

In a previous game, who told JG on the sideline on the pick he threw that JG misread coverage.

Callaway.

Callaway knows. All receivers are coached to moved toward the QB in those scramble situations. When Palmer saw Maurer was coming his way in a scramble situation he is supposed to move toward him, not stay along the end line for the jump ball. Maurer should not have thrown it, but he trusted his receiver to hold up his end. He didn't. Just like JG not reading the corner jumping the out with Callaway. If the corner jumps the route, the QB holds the throw and then delivers a quick, hard, pad level throw to the receiver on the up move before the S arrives.

I agree, and to add to this on Maurer's first pick, Calloway also went right to him to let him know he misread the coverage and he was wide open...

Callaway.

Callaway.

Yeah I’m going to be hard in Maurer for the two picks last wk. first was just a smart DC tricking a new starter with a disguised coverage. He will learn from that. The 2nd Palmer could have helped as you said and BM should have stayed in pocket but this was also when he was concussed so I give a pass for a mental mistake there

Overall the offense just believes it can move the ball more with BM in game. They all play with more energy. More times than not we move the ball with him at QB. It’s rarely a 3 and out while JG too often had 3 and outs. BM is just a better natural leader.

Keyword is “if”
You invented a keyword? There’s no IF. He has 4 interceptions this season. Entering the season JG had a career total of 5. He hasn’t met the standard of protecting the football and his int against Florida where he threw it straight to a Gator on OUR SIDE of the field is a lot more egregious than Maurer’s two gaffes in the RED ZONE...which Guarantano also has done ftr.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
But would JG have even been able to get us down into the redzone that many times in the first half to be able to kick FGs I think BM was a bigger factor than you are giving him credit for. Maurer's 2 long runs were probably the biggest part of the running game in the first half and he connected on some throws that JG typically doesn't make because of his tendency to hesitate.

I didn't think the offense sucked at all last Saturday with Maurer in the game. The only thing that really sucked was on the 2 plays when he made poor decisions in the redzone. But with BM at the helm the offense at least got into the redzone 3 times in the first half, and he made 2-3 critical 3rd down completions for first downs to keep some of those drives alive. There are going to be plenty of growing pains for a true freshman QB to be sure, but so far I think the offense has looked pretty effective overall with BM at QB.

Yeah no clue what game he watched if he thought our offense sucked with BM at QB. Outside of 2 picks we looked real nice and probably score more points in full game

Agreed..but I see Jack Burton liked this and thought I'd even out your likes. That dude deliberatly posts provacative crap, and brings it on himself, it is deserved.

I find it hilarious to complain about people "blowing stuff out of proportion" on here. It's an anonymous MESSAGE BOARD. Get that skin thickened up and let the debate! Love me some Devo but he likes to make statements and not be called on any of it. Wrong place for all thats dude. He said Stoops has big nuts for starting a wr at qb. We said whoppee, it was against the bottom of the SEC barrel at home. Then we get in return

giphy.gif

Instead of just casually defending the statement. Cmon everybody, remember where you are and

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back