Reasons for Optimism in 2020

Never bought the narrative that Maurer was sitting because they were scared Bailey would walk.
I never bought it either. That is the kind of crap put out by idiots! They would have you believe, Pruitt was willing to post 4 -L-s, keeping his better qb on the bench, in the hopes that, maybe, next year we'd be able to recruit a HS qb (a good one no doubt)? In all fairness one of the 4, Maurer started.

He went 6-7 his 2nd full year. Worse than any season under Bowden. You're just being obtuse at this point.
Not really, everyone just wants everyone else to agree with what they said. As I told the other guy winning 9 games builds some equity and hope for the future.

I mean, I get it for the next few months (provided the team stays in the same path) we will all continue to create these arguments on either side. Unfortunately for all of us, all signs point to Pruitt not being a good head coach. Our only hope is that we can recruit our way out of this. Dont know where that has ever been a plan for success, but hey, maybe Tennessee will be the first.
But of course, the off season will be here soon and we can be awesome again.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
Paid off in a big way. But giving him the job was hardly a serious move toward winning at the time.

That second year almost ended it.
I mean how they got rid of Bowden. I think Dabo had a chance to prove his worth that year, winning 4 games.

I mean how they got rid of Bowden. I think Dabo had a chance to prove his worth that year, winning 4 games.
Firing a guy you felt like was a good coach but not great which is where you want to be and hiring your WRs coach was a bold move. I'd hardly call it serious.

It would get ripped to shreds here. I'd be curious how that 6 - 7 second year would floated here.

Firing a guy you felt like was a good coach but not great which is where you want to be and hiring your WRs coach was a bold move. I'd hardly call it serious.

It would get ripped to shreds here. I'd be curious how that 6 - 7 second year would floated here.
From what I understand, Bowden had lost the team.....that is what I was talking about in saying Clemson acted promptly, not records or anything else. They gave Dabo a chance to prove himself as interim and he did.

It is possible to be improved in 2020 AND miss a bowl game.
Certain Losses:
Oklahoma
Florida
Georgia
Alabama
Toss ups:
South Carolina
Missouri
Kentucky
Should be favored but who knows:
Arkansas
Vandy

We win all our "cupcakes" in 2020.

If a couple of toss ups go badly and our 'who knows?' split, we will be at 5-7.

Reactions: tbh
From what I understand, Bowden had lost the team.....that is what I was talking about in saying Clemson acted promptly, not records or anything else. They gave Dabo a chance to prove himself as interim and he did.

May have. I'm sure it would have been sold that way regardless. The guy your firing won 9 games the previous year and was 3-3 to start that one. It had to be something.

Dabo was 4-3 as an interim. It's not like he lit up the league. I'd imagine Clemson put out some feelers and didnt get any bites. Similar to how O ended up LSUs coach.

Itd be interesting to have seen the response to Latrell Scott taking over for Fulmer in 08', and finishing 2-1. Then being offered the job.

That DL leaves A LOT to be desired. We need some studs in the WORST way. There isnt a difference maker in that bunch, IMO.

The absolute limit on scholarships can alter the arguments above drastically. Look at Bryant at UA in '69 and '70-he went out and got 80+ players each year. One of my teammates stated that he was recruited twice by Bryant; once to play for UA and once to keep him from playing against the Tide. That luxury of recruiting isn't possible anymore. You just can't compare turnarounds now to the past examples directly. I'm not saying CJP is the answer, but you gotta give him time, and 2 years ain't time. Even with the fiscal restraints on a fire-hire turnaround at UT at the end of this year, it just doesn't make sense. Therefore, it won't happen regardless of the record. And I think 3-9 is about the best we can get in '19.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
The OP states, "We won't compete for the SEC title next year, but I suspect we'll take a big step forward". What does that mean in real terms? In Football terms, W-L? How many wins? How many SEC wins? Right now we are 1-4, if we win Saturday, we will have increased our winning by 100%!! Or, up until now we had lost 80% of the games we've played, but we've really turned it around, we have gone from 80% loss rate to 66% loss rate (2-4)!! The spinners can come up with crap, but without a solid number in the win column, that is all you have spin. When you state you expect to sneak into a bowl game next year, will that be with a 6-6 record, or the now popular 5-7?

How about going from 3-9 to 6-6. Thats a big jump that won't win the SEC.

Best post I have read in awhile. I have kept quiet for the most part as most everyone has lost their ship.

i think this is accurate so good post OP.

I do think we live in a culture where things have to turn around in a season and it just isn’t realistic in this case. I think Pruitt is way more competent than the previous coach. Is he having to learn things? Yes, but the guy knows football and has been around a ton of winning programs. Personally, I was encouraged to see some fight against GA. We were never going to win that game or keep it close until the end unless Georgia completely imploded. That didn’t happen but what I did see is improvement. I do have faith that Pruitt will get the right guys in here and make it happen. It’s a talent and understanding thing right now. These guys are learning to play football and do it the right way. Once we have a solid core and develop some depth, I think we will be back to national prominence. Gotta stick with the guy and have some realistic goals for him to reach. I am actually optimistic about the second half of the season...minus the Alabama game.

This team is a disaster in his second year.
This team is much more about a QB who has been an absolute disaster in yr 2. In two key indicators he dropped from top 10 nationally, to 40-something and 100+. Perhaps you noticed the difference in offensive play last Sat?
Thanks for the correction on msu. Teams still improved in year 2. If we are probably looking at a 2-3 win season, almost never covering the spread....do you know of a coach with that type of regression in year two and went on to be a successful coach?
Again, this is much more a QB regression issue. The two big early head coach indicators fans love to tout are early upsets and yr 2 jump. In yr 1 we beat two top 15 teams. In yr 2 our QB regresses across the board despite much improved OL, makes poor decisions, becomes less accurste, can’t score TDs, and gives the other team points thru turnovers. The QB affects the whole team. With ‘18 JG we are 3-2 at minimum.
Not really, everyone just wants everyone else to agree with what they said. As I told the other guy winning 9 games builds some equity and hope for the future.

I mean, I get it for the next few months (provided the team stays in the same path) we will all continue to create these arguments on either side. Unfortunately for all of us, all signs point to Pruitt not being a good head coach. Our only hope is that we can recruit our way out of this. Dont know where that has ever been a plan for success, but hey, maybe Tennessee will be the first.
But of course, the off season will be here soon and we can be awesome again.
Butch steadily improved toward winning 9 in years 3&4. For fired yr 5 but calls for his job started early in yr 3. Fans are not rational.

You don’t know where “recruit our way to success” has ever been a successful plan....
Good lord did you just out yourself as someone who knows absolutely zero about college football?

This team is much more about a QB who has been an absolute disaster in yr 2. In two key indicators he dropped from top 10 nationally, to 40-something and 100+. Perhaps you noticed the difference in offensive play last Sat?

Again, this is much more a QB regression issue. The two big early head coach indicators fans love to tout are early upsets and yr 2 jump. In yr 1 we beat two top 15 teams. In yr 2 our QB regresses across the board despite much improved OL, makes poor decisions, becomes less accurste, can’t score TDs, and gives the other team points thru turnovers. The QB affects the whole team. With ‘18 JG we are 3-2 at minimum.

Butch steadily improved toward winning 9 in years 3&4. For fired yr 5 but calls for his job started early in yr 3. Fans are not rational.

You don’t know where “recruit our way to success” has ever been a successful plan....
Good lord did you just out yourself as someone who knows absolutely zero about college football?
As for the offense against uga, yeah it looked different for a very short time. We like to contribute the ga st loss with tennessee skeepwalking through it. Could it be that uga did the same to us? Because once the woke up, the offense was completely ineffective. It too small of a sample size to tell right now, do i dont know.

Turns out those calling for CBJ to be fired early on where correct. I waiting as well because of the win total improvement. Some people see issues in the locker room as an indication the coach needs to go. I think that was the first problem with CBJ.

Its not all pinned on qb regression. If we were 3-2, with loses to uga and uf, most would be ok. But we are not, and those first two loses are on the coaching staff, especially the 1st.

As far as recruiting for success, of course you need good recruiting to improve. But that has to be coupled with good coaching. The coaching right now is not good, and there is no argument to show that it is. We can stick our heads in the sand and act like it is, but that doesnt make it true. I also understand that some just want to be positive, nothing wrong with but again it doesnt make it true. Add to that, even if we have a great recruiting class we will still be near the bottom of the sec. So to review my stance; good recruiting + poor coaching = not likely to be successful. If the coaches were getting the most out of what they have, if they were id be much more hopeful for the future.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
As for the offense against uga, yeah it looked different for a very short time. We like to contribute the ga st loss with tennessee skeepwalking through it. Could it be that uga did the same to us? Because once the woke up, the offense was completely ineffective. It too small of a sample size to tell right now, do i dont know.

Turns out those calling for CBJ to be fired early on where correct. I waiting as well because of the win total improvement. Some people see issues in the locker room as an indication the coach needs to go. I think that was the first problem with CBJ.

Its not all pinned on qb regression. If we were 3-2, with loses to uga and uf, most would be ok. But we are not, and those first two loses are on the coaching staff, especially the 1st.

As far as recruiting for success, of course you need good recruiting to improve. But that has to be coupled with good coaching. The coaching right now is not good, and there is no argument to show that it is. We can stick our heads in the sand and act like it is, but that doesnt make it true. I also understand that some just want to be positive, nothing wrong with but again it doesnt make it true. Add to that, even if we have a great recruiting class we will still be near the bottom of the sec. So to review my stance; good recruiting + poor coaching = not likely to be successful. If the coaches were getting the most out of what they have, if they were id be much more hopeful for the future.
Georgia State is on the coaches. But not BYU. One bad play cost us.

I say we buy our way out of the OU game and replace them with someone like Georgia Sta....
oh wait.

I’d love to play Georgia State again without a lame duck QB. UT wins that game by 4 TD’s with Maurer taking the snaps.

I’d love to play Georgia State again without a lame duck QB. UT wins that game by 4 TD’s with Maurer taking the snaps.

Playing Maurer would have stopped Georgia State's offense from putting up 38 points on our defense?

VN Store

Back