Reality of Our Situation

This program likely isn't winning a championship in the near future with the way other teams in the SEC are playing and recruiting.

That being said, I can appreciate the facts that beating Vandy and going to a bowl game are better than losing to Vandy and not going to a bowl game.

Reactions: Rockyjr
It's just hard to give a clear opinion on this season: on the one hand, we beat all 4 mid-to-bottom-tier SECE teams for the first time in 4 years. On the other, there's still a big gap between us and the top of the SEC, which is where we need to get. Of course, the two losses to start the year are ridiculous. Overall, I'd call 7-5 a "push," given our talent and schedule.

As far as individual performance/development: our receivers have been impressive. Both lines have been a little better than I expected. RBs overall were just OK. QB is an enigma: JG had the game of his life one week, played well middle/late in the season, but had other games where he could hardly complete a forward pass and arguably cost us a game or two.

It's just tough to call.

We are back Op!! Back to the top of the middle tier in the SEC. In case you don't remember the top of the middle tier...we passed through it on our landslide backwards several years ago.

Had we finished 9 & 3 this year, guess what? We would still be at the top of the middle tier. It's a stepping stone, nothing more, nothing less. To tell people they shouldn't be happy about having achieved that step is plain ridiculous.

We are back Op!! Back to the top of the middle tier in the SEC. In case you don't remember the top of the middle tier...we passed through it on our landslide backwards several years ago.

Had we finished 9 & 3 this year, guess what? We would still be at the top of the middle tier. It's a stepping stone, nothing more, nothing less. To tell people they shouldn't be happy about having achieved that step is plain ridiculous.

Middle tier....

Top of the middle tier....

Maybe it is just that I am a realist or maybe even a Debbie Downer. However, I have read many posts over the past couple of weeks that seem to have me feeling we are elite again.

The reality of our situation is this:

We are 7-5; not 10-2 or even 9-3 but a seven win team. Those seven wins are against very bad teams with one of those teams (UAB) not having a single impressive win. On top of that, we got beat by Ga State and BYU!

On getting beat by BYU and Ga State as well as who we actually beat, we do not have a coach of the year coach! We, Tennessee fans, are very fond of two of our receivers this year. However, neither are going to win any awards or go in the first round or even the second of the NFL draft!

We had a record setting RB tonight. He set the record against a typical Vandy team with a losing record! In fact, the previous record was set against a Georgia team.

When we have break out, record setting performances against teams who are ranked and we win those games, then COY honors and All-American statuses can be proclaimed.

On to maintaining the Butch standard in beating lesser quality teams at the end of the season and then beating some over ranked Iowa, Nebraska or whichever the over ranked bowl opponent we have!

So its either 12-0 or 0-12? No in between... we should all be excited about our season. Especially after the 0-2 start.. yea we beat sc, mizzu, vandy.. not great teams, but guess what? We were losing to those teams the past few years. We have every right to be excited about the season

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Middle tier....

Top of the middle tier....
Yes? Do I need to explain that? Rewrite it in words you understand?

You lost me here bud. What needs explaining? I'll change the wording if that helps.

We have gone from the bottom of the bottom level to the top of the middle level. That means we are improving. We are not where we want to be yet, but we are getting there by moving in a forward direction....Hope that helps you to understand better. If not, I'll try and make my text look like it was done with crayons next time.

We are not elite and no one is claiming that even the most optimistic fans are not, but we have hope now.
We won games this year that in the past decade we would have lost. The goal line stand at Kentucky and the drive against Miss St. are examples. I expected Kentucky to score and us to give Miss St. the ball back and they would score due to BVS (battered Vol Syndrome).

Our OL and DL were actually was decent this year and next year returns basically everyone. We have two new QBs that are better than our current QBs. We get Gibbs as a WR.

In other words, talent wise we should be sitting at number 3 in the East and should look for us to get an upset next year against UF, UGA or Bama.

Due to scheduling we are likely 8-4 next year, but have 9-3 potential with an upset. There are only 4 games where the other team will be favored.
in other words not Elite, but top 25 good next year.

Yes, the losses to GSU and BYU left a foul odor, but the impressive improvement the rest of the season was like a refreshing shot of Febreze.

I haven’t seen many, of any, claim elite status. At least we are getting back to beating the teams we’re supposed to beat. Butch wasn’t able to consistently do that. He pissed away the best talent we’ve had in 15yrs in 2016 because of playing down to competition.

The reality of the situation is that this team didn't let an awful start turn disastrous (in terms of record) and won 5 in a row and 6 of the last 7. You can sit there and argue the quality of wins and that's fine, but the majority of games we won on this run were against SEC teams. So if you're going to argue strength of wins, maybe make the case that the SEC is weak as well. I haven't seen anyone make the claim that we are elite, if they have, I'd like to see examples. I think most on here are just happy for the turn around this season and more importantly, hopeful that it continues in the future.

Reactions: TnVol! and tn4elvis
It's just hard to give a clear opinion on this season: on the one hand, we beat all 4 mid-to-bottom-tier SECE teams for the first time in 4 years. On the other, there's still a big gap between us and the top of the SEC, which is where we need to get. Of course, the two losses to start the year are ridiculous. Overall, I'd call 7-5 a "push," given our talent and schedule.

As far as individual performance/development: our receivers have been impressive. Both lines have been a little better than I expected. RBs overall were just OK. QB is an enigma: JG had the game of his life one week, played well middle/late in the season, but had other games where he could hardly complete a forward pass and arguably cost us a game or two.

It's just tough to call.
When you’re at the bottom of the heap, you’ve got to start somewhere..... it’s definite progress.

Maybe it is just that I am a realist or maybe even a Debbie Downer. However, I have read many posts over the past couple of weeks that seem to have me feeling we are elite again.

We are 7-5; not 10-2 or even 9-3 but a seven win team. Those seven wins are against very bad teams with one of those teams (UAB) not having a single impressive win. On top of that, we got beat by Ga State and BYU!

On getting beat by BYU and Ga State as well as who we actually beat, we do not have a coach of the year coach! We, Tennessee fans, are very fond of two of our receivers this year. However, neither are going to win any awards or go in the first round or even the second of the NFL draft!

We had a record setting RB tonight. He set the record against a typical Vandy team with a losing record! In fact, the previous record was set against a Georgia team.

When we have break out, record setting performances against teams who are ranked and we win those games, then COY honors and All-American statuses can be proclaimed.

On to maintaining the Butch standard in beating lesser quality teams at the end of the season and then beating some over ranked Iowa, Nebraska or whichever the over ranked bowl opponent we have!

Good lord get a warm bottle and take a nap. Some people just love to be miserable. They use the I'm a realist to hide their wussification.

You will forever be known as Mr. Exclamation. Are we where we want to be? No
Are we seeing progress from week to week ? Yes
It’s okay to celebrate accomplishments along the way while continuing to work toward a bigger goal.

Reactions: XknoxvolsX

So you don’t enjoy winning? Maybe a new trip to the shrink couch is needed!

Couldn’t even wait 24 hrs before being a whiny B and posting this non sense? No one on here thinks we’re elite. No one is crowning Pruitt the savior of UT football either yet. Most are just objectively noting the program is in a much better place than it was in the first of the season.

Do us all a favor and log off this site and find another team to be a “fan” of.

VN Store

Back