Realistically, do you believe there will be a 2020 season?

Will there be a 2020 college football season?

• Total voters
The article you just posted also says, "Models like this will always be wrong in some way or other." His original model has from one extreme to the other.

And they will, but he didn’t walk anything back as the earlier article made it seem

I’m thinking of the local mom and pop places here in the town I live. Large space, outside of some strip malls, sit empty around here for quite some time. I suppose to large real estate groups have the capital to do that. I’m curious as to how many losses they can write off until they exceed their revenue? Are they typically leveraged against that?

They can write off negative and carry over the losses to offset gains during booms.

On a side note, is Tom Brady a genius? Did he sign a 2 year, guaranteed $50mil contract knowing he was probably only going to play 1 season?! Could be the easiest 25mil in history if the NFL season is cancelled lol

Good luck with this O great bearded one. Half of these folks are the relatives of people who stocked up on toilet paper in New Orleans the day before Katrina hit and then wondered why it was wet. Thanks for your efforts though; as an MD, your sources are very good.

Always the smartest guys in the room.

I'm no medical expert, but I'm pretty sure hospitals aren't just putting people on ventilators just because they ask.

Color me surprised that the Alabama “writer” has trouble following, but making a decision avoid flooding the hospitals with people who don’t need critical care would remove all of the worrywarts and leave only the gravely ill, ventilator-dependent critical patients.

Unless a vaccine is found soon, it will be hard to see any type of sports being played, unless it’s in empty stadiums. Here in S.C, they are projecting 8-10k cases by May 1st.
With the way it’s spreading, no way any of the Colleges/NCAA will put their students at risk and open themselves up for lawsuits etc..
JMO

Reactions: Coach_Z
Until 15 years ago, many power five teams didn't even have football players in summer school, so I would dispute the idea that we couldn't have a season if they didn't report until July or August.
I agree it maybe an abbreviated Season cut back to 10 games or even 9 depending on the situation. I would hate to see that but it may be warranted. Do you think that school will be delayed opening for the Fall Semester? The economy will not hold out beyond July or August. We will have a vaccine before then one would think.

In my mind, they would have to return by May to even consider having a 2020 college football season. Even that is putting a lot of teams behind. Consider Miss State and Ole Miss for example. 2 new coaching staffs. No way they’re ready to go by August if all they have is June and July to prepare. Does anyone know the actual number of teams with new staffs leading into 2020?

I personally don’t believe we’ll have a college football season in 2020. Hard to imagine, but I just don’t see it.

Thoughts?
Herbstreit says no. Kirk Herbstreit Says NFL and College Football Should Be Postponed, Too Risky!

I’m telling everyone now. This will end soon.

Sooner or later, the needs of the many are going to outweigh the needs of the few.

We are not going to volunteer for total economic collapse because of this thing. The country will not go into shutdown mode indefinitely for much longer.

That’s my personal prediction to all.

So, life will go back to normal fairly soon, IMO.

Not all normalcy left, the Gators still suck.

I agree it maybe an abbreviated Season cut back to 10 games or even 9 depending on the situation. I would hate to see that but it may be warranted. Do you think that school will be delayed opening for the Fall Semester? The economy will not hold out beyond July or August. We will have a vaccine before then one would think.
From what I heard from an interview with a CDC spokesperson, 18 months is pretty much the best case scenario for a vaccine.

From what I heard from an interview with a CDC spokesperson, 18 months is pretty much the best case scenario for a vaccine.

That's what doctors all around the world are saying too. In other words, there might be a 2021 season, but not a 2020 one.

you are right maybe 18 months, but we don't know enough about this virus to know if a vaccine will be needed or be seasonal or adopt another form. I trust that there are hundreds of thousands working on this to develop a drug and get it through testing. the vaccine is probably already out there but the testing, production, and distribution may be the reason 18-month statement.

The scary part of this is that 80% of the people who get this will be fine but even the most conservative estimates at 45% (40% -70% of US residents WILL get it) result in an overwhelmed healthcare systems and potentially fatalities measured in the millions due to the lack of ventilators to treat. No one is going to sign up for that situation regardless of the economics.

Fatalities in the millions would be nearly impossible. Death rate is lower than advertised because so many young people are getting it and not getting tested and just recover on their own, or catch it and show zero symptoms and thus never get tested. This doesn't show up in the stats. I would bet a fast tracked vaccine shows up by mid fall.

In regard to your expertise on warm and humid climates in the pathology world of viruses, can you please explain the rising numbers of cases in Africa at the moment? Over the last three days, I have been in correspondence with business colleagues in Kampala Uganda, Johannesburg South Africa, and Nairobi Kenya (two of which are semi-equatorial or equatorial)...all have COVID-19 now and the number of cases are quickly on the rise.

Not to mention Miami and NOLA....

Just like summer colds if an infected person comes in close contact with another person then the virus can still spread easily. However, it cannot live on surfaces or in the air for very long, and is less buoyant, so much fewer people will become infected then if there less UV light and lower humidity.

VN Store

Back