Realistically, do you believe there will be a 2020 season?

Will there be a 2020 college football season?

• Total voters
Oh lord, so exactly when did WHO give us that information? I can't wait to hear this.

The cluster was initially reported on 31 December 2019, when the WHO China Country Office was informed. The Chinese authorities identified a new type of coronavirus (novel coronavirus, nCoV), which was isolated on 7 January 2020. Laboratory testing was conducted on all suspected cases identified through active case finding and retrospective review. Other respiratory pathogens such as influenza, avian influenza, adenovirus, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV), Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) were ruled out as the cause.
Novel Coronavirus – China

In December, 2019, a series of pneumonia cases of unknown cause emerged in Wuhan, Hubei, China, with clinical presentations greatly resembling viral pneumonia.9 Deep sequencing analysis from lower respiratory tract samples indicated a novel coronavirus, which was named 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV). Thus far, more than 800 confirmed cases, including in health-care workers, have been identified in Wuhan, and several exported cases have been confirmed in other provinces in China, and in Thailand, Japan, South Korea, and the USA.10–13
CDC Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China

Situation report - 1 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) 21 January 2020
Timeline of the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic in November 2019 – January 2020 - Wikipedia

The mental gymnastics that you are willing to perform in order to deny reality, is truly astounding.

Reactions: Frozevol
The cluster was initially reported on 31 December 2019, when the WHO China Country Office was informed. The Chinese authorities identified a new type of coronavirus (novel coronavirus, nCoV), which was isolated on 7 January 2020. Laboratory testing was conducted on all suspected cases identified through active case finding and retrospective review. Other respiratory pathogens such as influenza, avian influenza, adenovirus, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV), Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) were ruled out as the cause.
Novel Coronavirus – China

The mental gymnastics that you are willing to perform in order to deny reality, is truly astounding.

hahahaha Did you actually just say this? "....which was isolated on 7 January 2020." It was actually on the 10th but you get a 1/2 point for being in the vicinity... finally. Some of you nitwits require a few gymnastics to expose h ow little you actually know about these pet subjects you're whining about. Sorry.

I honestly don't see how anything changes from now till August, no vaccine will be ready by then. As much as I hate to say it "NO SEASON". It's gonna really be a bummer too! I may go to Neyland and just walk around one Saturday in October:(

What makes you say that? I haven't heard any date range past June, maybe July where this hasn't peaked?

If our country is still shut down in June its over.

There is no coming back.

Too many businesses will shutter.

Budiness landlords will either demand payment on tenants that cant pay due to no business or the landlord will be unable to pay their lenders for the bank notes.

Banks will go under.

Unemployment will be over 20 percent and stranglehold the system.

Tax revenues will plummet which will cause the debt to be impossible to pay.

This cannot go beyond April or it's over.

What is the logic behind banks and/or landlords demanding payment when there wouldn't be anyone behind them to take over the payments/space? They are better off with near term losses and working with businesses that can get back on their feet. Either w/pro-rated rent or potentially State/Federal assistance.....

Not saying this isn't possible but the US would be extremely foolish to let this cascade of events happen then start the next great depression.

hahahaha Did you actually just say this? "....which was isolated on 7 January 2020." It was actually on the 10th but you get a 1/2 point for being in the vicinity... finally. Some of you nitwits require a few gymnastics to expose h ow little you actually know about these pet subjects you're whining about. Sorry.

I think he means that is when the knew what they were dealing with. First cases were backdated to around 17 November. A lot of the delays were China figuring out what the heck was going on.

Yeah, they knew it was a novel coronavirus that they were finding in mid December, and isolated covid19 in January.

In December, 2019, a series of pneumonia cases of unknown cause emerged in Wuhan, Hubei, China, with clinical presentations greatly resembling viral pneumonia.9 Deep sequencing analysis from lower respiratory tract samples indicated a novel coronavirus

Wanting something to not be true, won't make it so, even if you try really hard to pretend that reality "isn't real".

Reactions: GoVols64
It's in the WHO's link that he posted.

There will be a football season. We are not going to keep destroying our economy and such over a virus that is only affecting mainly those that are in bad shape anyways (Mostly 80 plus years of age). Hell, the suicide rate would surpass elderly deaths if we did that.

The scary part of this is that 80% of the people who get this will be fine but even the most conservative estimates at 45% (40% -70% of US residents WILL get it) result in an overwhelmed healthcare systems and potentially fatalities measured in the millions due to the lack of ventilators to treat. No one is going to sign up for that situation regardless of the economics.

Reactions: TrueOrange
No one said it did, that's my prediction...my question is this. Will the same people who reacted and cited Dr. Ferguson's first findings revise their thinking now that he has done a near 180 ?

Not IMO. The scale here is is overwhelming even with conservative estimates (45% ish) and create big problems for current healthcare capacities. It's all boiling down to how many people wind up needing ventilators to recover (and there are 100% not enough). NYC isn't exactly instilling confidence this thing can be controlled well.

Gee willikers! 81,000 deaths by July, you say? Too bad the author totally neglects to mention how many people would be afflicted with COVID-19 in his abstract, eh? Call me when the mortality rate begins to increase or if the figures represented in these graphics become both a reality and a contributing factor in serious illness/death; until then, kindly check your fear mongering at the door.

Attachments

• 97CF1BC5-809B-443B-8435-2EB89CA4B83B.png
    97CF1BC5-809B-443B-8435-2EB89CA4B83B.png
    995.2 KB · Views: 4
Gee willikers! 81,000 deaths by July, you say? Too bad the author totally neglects to mention how many people would be afflicted with COVID-19 in his abstract, eh? Call me when the mortality rate begins to increase or if the figures represented in these graphics become both a reality and a contributing factor in serious illness/death; until then, kindly check your fear mongering at the door.

With respect, this isn't fear mongering. Even with conservative estimates at around 45% of the US population getting it (331M) that is just under 149M people that will be sick. If we assume 80% of those cases don't require medical attention we are really worried about the 20% that MAY need hospital level care. Thats nearly 30M people who would require medical intervention. Current mortality is around .045% in confirmed cases (23k dead against 511k confirmed).

Now, this isn't all happening at once so re-allocation of resources will be required to treat these patients where the greatest need. IF that happens we can, hopefully, save a lot of lives. IF that doesn't doctors will be forced to choose between who gets care and who doesn't. We all need to do our part to support healthcare providers and make these numbers as low as feasible. Again, this isn't fear mongering it's very possible.

Do you even have the basic intelligence to understand what happens if we continue to flood the hospital system with infectious covid19 patients? You do know that there are millions of Americans that will require hospitalization over the next 3 months outside of covid19 cases correct? That doctors and nurses are becoming infection vectors every day the longer this goes on, correct?

Let me guess, you've already instructed your family to not render any aid in the form of hospitalization should you become infected, and they've asked the same of you, and you're just going to "tough out this cold" regardless of the severity of the symptoms right?

Reactions: perico and TNfan#2
What is the logic behind banks and/or landlords demanding payment when there wouldn't be anyone behind them to take over the payments/space? They are better off with near term losses and working with businesses that can get back on their feet. Either w/pro-rated rent or potentially State/Federal assistance.....

Not saying this isn't possible but the US would be extremely foolish to let this cascade of events happen then start the next great depression.

I 100% know local landlords in TN, OH, KY, Al, GA, Fl, NC, IN are requiring rent still be paid. I dont operate in any other states so cant speak for those.

I do know of a few situations were landlords who are very small and personally own the buildings are trying to work with the lessees but the majority of lessors that own strip malls, malls, and class A office space are not at all and could care less because they will simply write it off as a loss.

This is not my opinion. This is fact.

Do you even have the basic intelligence to understand what happens if we continue to flood the hospital system with infectious covid19 patients? You do know that there are millions of Americans that will require hospitalization over the next 3 months outside of covid19 cases correct? That doctors and nurses are becoming infection vectors every day the longer this goes on, correct?

Here's a novel idea for you to mull over: maybe we shouldn't be flooding the hospital system with people who don't need critical care just because they're scared of the boogeyman you're trying to drum up!

Again, and I stress this the best that I can, go pack your bug out bag/put the final touches on your apocalypse shelter by yourself and quit bothering (with no actual remedy, because of course, other than the vague platitude "social distance until we 'reverse the trend' guys!") sensible Americans with lives to live unless you can point to any kind of meaningful increase in the death rate of the Sino Sniffles.

Last edited:
I am glad the most extreme models for this virus are going to be severely off. But extreme models are just that showing the worst. The sad part is a lot of our media tried early to act like it was the most likely scenario. Extreme models are just that, in weather anything being 10 days is extreme. It's like being on a winter weather forum in the south when it shows it is going to snow a foot 10 days out in Nashville. The odds are very against it happening. And thank God for that. GBO!!!!!!!!

Here's a novel idea for you to mull over: maybe we shouldn't be flooding the hospital system with people who don't need critical care just because they're scared of the boogeyman you're trying to drum up!

I'm no medical expert, but I'm pretty sure hospitals aren't just putting people on ventilators just because they ask.

I 100% know local landlords in TN, OH, KY, Al, GA, Fl, NC, IN are requiring rent still be paid. I dont operate in any other states so cant speak for those.

I do know of a few situations were landlords who are very small and personally own the buildings are trying to work with the lessees but the majority of lessors that own strip malls, malls, and class A office space are not at all and could care less because they will simply write it off as a loss.

This is not my opinion. This is fact.

I’m thinking of the local mom and pop places here in the town I live. Large space, outside of some strip malls, sit empty around here for quite some time. I suppose to large real estate groups have the capital to do that. I’m curious as to how many losses they can write off until they exceed their revenue? Are they typically leveraged against that?

VN Store

Back