Realistically, do you believe there will be a 2020 season?

Will there be a 2020 college football season?

• Total voters
I’m investing in battle bots
giphy.gif

There will be a football season. We are not going to keep destroying our economy and such over a virus that is only affecting mainly those that are in bad shape anyways (Mostly 80 plus years of age). Hell, the suicide rate would surpass elderly deaths if we did that.

There will be a football season. We are not going to keep destroying our economy and such over a virus that is only affecting mainly those that are in bad shape anyways (Mostly 80 plus years of age). Hell, the suicide rate would surpass elderly deaths if we did that.

Might want to do some Googling before you post on a topic next time. It's not just deaths you have to worry about, but continued transmission and the impact on the healthcare system.

covid19agebreakdown.png

Think you’re too young to be hospitalized by coronavirus? This chart shows why you’re wrong

The US has roughly ~160,000 ventilators in service with another ~16,000 in strategic reserve. You want me to do the basic math for you on the number of Americans that will require hospitalization and the use of ventilator if the spread is not contained? You cool with your loved ones being denied the use of a ventilator because they are over the age of 60? That's the point they are at in Italy at the moment.

Might want to do some Googling before you post on a topic next time. It's not just deaths you have to worry about, but continued transmission and the impact on the healthcare system.

covid19agebreakdown.png

Think you’re too young to be hospitalized by coronavirus? This chart shows why you’re wrong

The US has roughly ~160,000 ventilators in service with another ~16,000 in strategic reserve. You want me to do the basic math for you on the number of Americans that will require hospitalization and the use of ventilator if the spread is not contained? You cool with your loved ones being denied the use of a ventilator because they are over the age of 60? That's the point they are at in Italy at the moment.

I have seen all this before, and like I said the fatalities are generally with the elderly or with people that have some kind of other severe condition. What is hidden is the fact that God knows how many people have contracted this and either shown no symptoms or shown very few and have recovered on their own without being tested. That would knock the mortality rate down even more. I do understand the need to not overwhelm the healthcare system. That's why restrictions in the COOLER weather make sense. All viruses die down in the hotter weather because of the extra UV light and higher humidity that summer weather brings. Infections will be at their lowest in August and September. There will be a football season. Everyone will eventually be exposed no matter what because we have no immunity to this.....unless we all just want to stay home forever, which is impossible. It'll probably fire right back up in December. Gotta develop antibodies. Life cannot end as we know it because of this.

I have seen all this before, and like I said the fatalities are generally with the elderly or with people that have some kind of other severe condition. What is hidden is the fact that God knows how many people have contracted this and either shown no symptoms or shown very few and have recovered on their own without being tested. That would knock the mortality rate down even more. I do understand the need to not overwhelm the healthcare system. That's why restrictions in the COOLER weather make sense. All viruses die down in the hotter weather because of the extra UV light and higher humidity that summer weather brings. Infections will be at their lowest in August and September. There will be a football season. Everyone will eventually be exposed no matter what because we have no immunity to this.....unless we all just want to stay home forever, which is impossible. It'll probably fire right back up in December. Gotta develop antibodies. Life cannot end as we know it because of this.

You've not seen anything like this before unless you were alive during the Spanish Flu, and if you even remotely comprehended what you were reading you'd know that the current rates of new infection, without stopping the spread, will overwhelm our healthcare system. Not if, not could, will. All of the projections, even the most conservative show that if we do not halt the continued spread, we will end up just like Italy, with healthcare workers and hospitals becoming infection vectors themselves. There is no evidence to show that covid19 is seasonal, or that warmer weather will have any effect on the virus itself, latching onto that idea that this is just "some sort of flu that will die out with spring" is sticking your head in sand and trusting in your own willing suspension of disbelief to save you from reality; it will not.

If we don't get control of this situation now, and actually commit to social-distancing for long enough to halt and reverse the trends, we are going to still be dealing with this come September, except the deaths will be compounded by a failed healthcare system, rampant unemployment, and a negative GDP.

Football will end up being the last thing on our minds.

If we don't get control of this situation now, and actually commit to social-distancing for long enough to halt and reverse the trends, we are going to still be dealing with this come September, except the deaths will be compounded by a failed healthcare system, rampant unemployment, and a negative GDP.

Ah, of course! The best way to ensure that we don't have rampant unemployment is *checks notes* "social-distancing for long enough to half and reverse the trends," thereby devastating commerce. Gold star for you!

Hey Badger, I just moved back to Knoxville after 19 years in the Tundra. Will miss a lot of good people but will NOT miss anything about the 5 months of winter. Best of luck and Go Pack!
So yes Badger, you are now alone in Wisconsin 😕.

Ah, of course! The best way to ensure that we don't have rampant unemployment is *checks notes* "social-distancing for long enough to half and reverse the trends," thereby devastating commerce. Gold star for you!

So because we have a incompetent government that didn't listen to its own intelligence briefings in December and January and act accordingly, because they didn't want to negatively impact the economy on a smaller scale, we are now dealing with even greater economic fallout to go along with the human impact. So now we should just do nothing and let the virus overwhelm the country and just try to live with a failed healthcare system and failed economy at the same time?

That's your answer? Brilliant.

Hope you have a mild case and a speedy recovery. I travelled back from a tropical vacation three days ago I have felt sick for about 24 hrs but no fever or cough. Lots of anxiety going around.
And for all of you thinking we are being overly protective. I flew in on a full Delta flight from Costa Rica. There was no screening of passengers, not even spraying hands with disinfectant. Once in the US there was only one small sign saying (if you read it) that you should stay home for 14 days since you just flew in an airplane for over 3 hrs. There were people sneezing on the plane, the flight attendants only wore gloves. The best thing was that customs was a complete breeze. They did get that right. No lines, just let everyone straight through. Glad they didn’t see my envelope of emeralds😀.

So because we have a incompetent government that didn't listen to its own intelligence briefings in December and January and act accordingly, because they didn't want to negatively impact the economy on a smaller scale, we are now dealing with even greater economic fallout to go along with the human impact. So now we should just do nothing and let the virus overwhelm the country and just try to live with a failed healthcare system and failed economy at the same time?

Let me make this so simple that even you can understand: yes. You are absolutely manufacturing hysteria, and highlighting an acute inability to read your own table, by pretending as if the spread of a virus with such a paltry mortality/critical care rate would “overwhelm the country” in a more impactful manner than the economic byproduct of extended social distancing.

If you’re scared of this virus beyond mid-April, feel free to lock yourself indoors while the rest of the country moves on with our lives.

You've not seen anything like this before unless you were alive during the Spanish Flu, and if you even remotely comprehended what you were reading you'd know that the current rates of new infection, without stopping the spread, will overwhelm our healthcare system. Not if, not could, will. All of the projections, even the most conservative show that if we do not halt the continued spread, we will end up just like Italy, with healthcare workers and hospitals becoming infection vectors themselves. There is no evidence to show that covid19 is seasonal, or that warmer weather will have any effect on the virus itself, latching onto that idea that this is just "some sort of flu that will die out with spring" is sticking your head in sand and trusting in your own willing suspension of disbelief to save you from reality; it will not.

Football will end up being the last thing on our minds.

We'll be fine man. This is no comparison to the Spanish flu. That was much more deadly than this and then...I'll be damned...people got exposed and developed antibodies....and the virus got weaker as it mutated, just like all viruses. The Spanish flu was different in the fact that younger people died from that. Away goes the Spanish flu. Amazing. All viruses....ALL die in higher UV lighting. That's what summer brings. The even build UV virus killing filters for your home. Google is your friend. This virus will come back in the colder months and we will deal with it then. It is also a general fact that these things tend to get less virulent over time as they mutate. God forbid that we have a bird flu pandemic with a 25 percent or greater mortality rate. We might as well just all kill ourselves. Humanity has never survived such a thing.

Yes, A failed heathcare system. A healthcare system that if you needed a major or rare operation you would prefer American Doctors perform it. Doesn't sound failed to me. Anyways, if you mention any failure in December you need to point the finger directly at the Chinese communists. They tried to cover this up at the very beginning and prevent themselves from looking bad, They are losers and they are to blame more than anyone for the pandemic.

We'll be fine man. This is no comparison to the Spanish flu. That was much more deadly than this and then...I'll be damned...people got exposed and developed antibodies....and the virus got weaker as it mutated, just like all viruses. The Spanish flu was different in the fact that younger people died from that. Away goes the Spanish flu. Amazing. All viruses....ALL die in higher UV lighting. That's what summer brings. The even build UV virus killing filters for your home. Google is your friend. This virus will come back in the colder months and we will deal with it then. It is also a general fact that these things tend to get less virulent over time as they mutate. God forbid that we have a bird flu pandemic with a 25 percent or greater mortality rate. We might as well just all kill ourselves. Humanity has never survived such a thing.

Show me anything from a reputable medical researcher or journal, that says covid19 is susceptible warm weather? That it is mutating at a rated that indicates herd immunity is on the horizon without a viable vaccine? I'm more than happy to back up my statements with sources.

Seasonality of SARS-CoV-2: Will COVID-19 go away on its own in warmer weather? Most likely not...The size of the change is expected to be modest, and not enough to stop transmission on its own. Based on the analogy of pandemic flu, we expect that SARS-CoV-2, as a virus new to humans, will face less immunity and thus transmit more readily even outside of the winter season.
Marc Lipsitch, DPhil,Professor of Epidemiology and Director, Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

HOW LONG CAN THE VIRUS THAT CAUSES COVID-19 LIVE ON SURFACES? There is no evidence one way or the other. The virus's viability in exposure to heat or cold has not been studied.
Carolyn Machamer, Ph.D.
Department of Cell Biology Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

Comparing COVID-19 with H1N1 and other viral outbreaks Like H1N1 and seasonal flus, COVID-19 is highly communicable. What’s different is it has 10 times greater mortality rates than the seasonal flu.
Richard P. Wenzel, M.D., M.Sc. VCU Professor Department of Internal Medicine Division of Infectious Diseases

You are still focusing on the current mortality rate, and not paying attention to the infection rate. Humans can be asymptomatic for 14 days before showing any symptoms, while carrying increased viral loads in their upper respiratory tracts, making highly susceptible to transmitting the virus to any number of people around them without even knowing it. I've provided the information in my other posts, but you can continue to make up your own reasons, and pretend that your anecdotal musings will somehow be comforting when it's someone close to you that is on a ventilator because you couldn't be bothered with thinking about anyone else but yourself.

Show me anything from a reputable medical researcher or journal, that says covid19 is susceptible warm weather? That it is mutating at a rated that indicates herd immunity is on the horizon without a viable vaccine? I'm more than happy to back up my statements with sources.

Seasonality of SARS-CoV-2: Will COVID-19 go away on its own in warmer weather? Most likely not...The size of the change is expected to be modest, and not enough to stop transmission on its own. Based on the analogy of pandemic flu, we expect that SARS-CoV-2, as a virus new to humans, will face less immunity and thus transmit more readily even outside of the winter season.
Marc Lipsitch, DPhil,Professor of Epidemiology and Director, Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

HOW LONG CAN THE VIRUS THAT CAUSES COVID-19 LIVE ON SURFACES? There is no evidence one way or the other. The virus's viability in exposure to heat or cold has not been studied.
Carolyn Machamer, Ph.D.
Department of Cell Biology Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

Comparing COVID-19 with H1N1 and other viral outbreaks Like H1N1 and seasonal flus, COVID-19 is highly communicable. What’s different is it has 10 times greater mortality rates than the seasonal flu.
Richard P. Wenzel, M.D., M.Sc. VCU Professor Department of Internal Medicine Division of Infectious Diseases

You are still focusing on the current mortality rate, and not paying attention to the infection rate. Humans can be asymptomatic for 14 days before showing any symptoms, while carrying increased viral loads in their upper respiratory tracts, making highly susceptible to transmitting the virus to any number of people around them without even knowing it. I've provided the information in my other posts, but you can continue to make up your own reasons, and pretend that your anecdotal musings will somehow be comforting when it's someone close to you that is on a ventilator because you couldn't be bothered with thinking about anyone else but yourself.

Yes, Asymptomatic for 14 days. Low mortality rate. All viruses die down in warmer weather. If this one doesn't then it would be the first. But hell, let's just assume that the whole world needs to stay shut down for months and months over this. Lol

Yes, Asymptomatic for 14 days. Low mortality rate. All viruses die down in warmer weather. If this one doesn't then it would be the first. But hell, let's just assume that the whole world needs to stay shut down for months and months over this. Lol

Myth 1: In 2003, SARS went away on its own as the weather got warmer.
SARS did not die of natural causes. It was killed by extremely intense public health interventions in mainland Chinese cities, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand, Canada and elsewhere. These involved isolating cases, quarantining their contacts, a measure of “social distancing,” and other intensive efforts. These worked well for SARS because those who were most infectious were also quite ill in a distinctive way — the sick cases were the transmitters, so isolating the sick curbed transmission. In Toronto, SARS resurged after the initial wave was controlled and precautions were discontinued. This resurgence was eventually linked to a case from the first wave. The resurgence confirms that it was control measures that stopped transmission the first time.

Seasonality of SARS-CoV-2: Will COVID-19 go away on its own in warmer weather?

Asymptomatic while being as infectious or more than seasonal flu with a mortality rate that is 10x higher than seasonal flu.

Do you need a picture?

covid19vsflu.png

Still waiting on those sources.

Last edited:

You still haven’t provided a source indicating that the mortality/critical care rates will increase (after all, why chide someone for focusing on the “current morality rate” if you don’t believe it’s on the low end?) if absurdly drastic efforts aren’t taken to “flatten the curve” because, and here’s the kicker, you don’t have any!

You still haven’t provided a source indicating that the mortality/critical care rates will increase (after all, why chide someone for focusing on the “current morality rate” if you don’t believe it’s on the low end?) if absurdly drastic efforts aren’t taken to “flatten the curve” because, and here’s the kicker, you don’t have any!

Do I need to post the picture above again? The current rate of hospitalization is 19% of infections. If the infection rates increase, and even if the hospitalization percentage stays at 19%, increased infections, means additional hospitalizations.

Is it math that you don't understand, or are you being willfully obtuse because you take your medical advice from talking heads instead of medical doctors and scientists?

Reactions: TNfan#2

Good luck with this O great bearded one. Half of these folks are the relatives of people who stocked up on toilet paper in New Orleans the day before Katrina hit and then wondered why it was wet. Thanks for your efforts though; as an MD, your sources are very good.

Reactions: TrueOrange
Good luck with this O great bearded one. Half of these folks are the relatives of people who stocked up on toilet paper in New Orleans the day before Katrina hit and then wondered why it was wet. Thanks for your efforts though; as an MD, your sources are very good.

Wenzel said it best:
Despite overwhelming science, they seem to be holding their position. You can’t influence their behavior by facts or logic. No one has said to them, “If you get ill, you have family — brothers, sisters, parents and grandparents — that could get the virus. If you transfer the disease, it’s grossly unethical behavior.”

Myth 1: In 2003, SARS went away on its own as the weather got warmer.
SARS did not die of natural causes. It was killed by extremely intense public health interventions in mainland Chinese cities, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand, Canada and elsewhere. These involved isolating cases, quarantining their contacts, a measure of “social distancing,” and other intensive efforts. These worked well for SARS because those who were most infectious were also quite ill in a distinctive way — the sick cases were the transmitters, so isolating the sick curbed transmission. In Toronto, SARS resurged after the initial wave was controlled and precautions were discontinued. This resurgence was eventually linked to a case from the first wave. The resurgence confirms that it was control measures that stopped transmission the first time.

Seasonality of SARS-CoV-2: Will COVID-19 go away on its own in warmer weather?

Asymptomatic while being as infectious or more than seasonal flu with a mortality rate that is 10x higher than seasonal flu.

Do you need a picture?

covid19vsflu.png

Sorry, but all viruses die down in higher UV light.

Reactions: feathersax
Do I need to post the picture above again? The current rate of hospitalization is 19% of infections. If the infection rates increase, and even if the hospitalization percentage stays at 19%, increased infections, means additional hospitalizations.

Is it math that you don't understand, or are you being willfully obtuse because you take your medical advice from talking heads instead of medical doctors and scientists?

Since you have difficulty reading, perhaps now would be a good time to point out that I purposely never mentioned the hospitalization rate and instead chose to focus on mortality/critical care. Hospitalization is far more loosely defined and by no means definitively indicates a major issue; in fact, the hysteria you’re peddling is doing a great job of artificially increasing hospitalization out of an “abundance of caution!”

So, again I ask, where’s your non-existent source trumpeting a spike in mortality and critical care rates? I hate to break it to you, pal, but the current percentages found in your handy little infographics are a pittance and by no means worth shuttering our nation for the long haul.

VN Store

Back