Realistically, do you believe there will be a 2020 season?

Will there be a 2020 college football season?

• Total voters
I'm sure if you polled all the idots at the beaches last week they would all voted yes.
We have survived the Civil War, both World Wars, plagues, the great depression, and with God's help we will survive this. The one concerning thing being are we as a Nation made of the same stuff.

Sorry but afraid you're behind on this. The Brits have completely changed their position. They are on the verge of a complete lockdown. It was a British epidemiological study released last Sunday that changed our administration's plans when it predicted that if England didn't change course they would have 250,000 deaths with the total collapse of their health care system and we would have 1 million dead. That is why the President completely changed course this past Monday.
The narrative is driving facts rather than facts driving the narrative. The 2017-2018 flu season produced 60 million cases and 70,000 deaths in the US alone. IIRC, about 900,000 Americans were hospitalized. That was a particularly bad year. This year was on its way to being a "mild" year with possibly less than 30,000 deaths from the flu.

With those facts in mind... convince me this panic isn't a narrative driven overreaction. It is like the "emperor's new clothes". No one dares point out he has none.... just like no one seems willing to say this isn't the second coming of the black plague... or even the Spanish flu.

Last edited:
oh good Lord, drama queen much?

Fade, we are at 2009 business equity and Dow jones levels.

But here is the real killer...

National debt was just under 12 trillion then.
It's now just around 23 trillion.

And we are about to add trillions to it with these bills.

Oh and didi already mention all business is shut down so where will the tax revenue come from?

Dude, this is bad and I have made a lifetime out of turning lemons into lemonade.

I am genuinely scared and it ain't of some over blown virus!!!

I just realized I am in the FB forum.

Sorry for the non football post.

This place should be off limits to that especially now.

My bad....

Won't happen again.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
I’d say there will be. Perhaps they doing something like spreading seats out a bit in the stadium and only admitting half as many fans as normal. But at some point we have to get back to life. The vaccine is likely 1.5 years away or so. Are we going to not gather for the next year and a half? At some point Americans are going to say to hell with it and resume life. I’m not trying to disregard the threat but the mortality rate is higher with the flu. And we don’t run and hide from it. But the time summer gets here Americans are going to be really fed up with social distancing. The trump administration is estimating 8-10 weeks on the gathering bans. Colleges won’t start practicing till nearly double that amount if time

The narrative is driving facts rather than facts driving the narrative. The 2017-2018 flu season produced 60 million cases and 70,000 deaths in the US alone. IIRC, about 900,000 Americans were hospitalized. That was a particularly bad year. This year was on its way to being a "mild" year with possibly less than 30,000 deaths from the flu.

With those facts in mind... convince me this panic isn't a narrative driven overreaction. It is like the "emperor's new clothes". No one dares point out he has none.... just like no one seems willing to say this isn't the second coming of the black plague... or even the Spanish flu.

In what professional journal will you be presenting your epidemiological study that supports your assertions and invalidates the study I mentioned? I look forward to reading that.

yeah I intend to purchase mine as well. I (poorly I might add), was really trying to put it out there to VN to get a feel for how many season ticket holders here were going to buy theirs if or when they are made available even though I wonder if the normal dates will be altered.

You raised a very good point. Most of the higher end tickets will renew. Many of them are like me, they don't want to lose the seats. The guys in the upper deck and end zones may not because they may be hurting pretty bad from this and know they can always get seats in the future.

And the guys that make the mega contributions, particularly the corporate purchasers, may not because they know there will be very few competitors in their donation range. They can skip a year and still come back and throw down $50k for 6-8 seats and get what they want I remember scoring a parking pass in Circle Park on the secondary market after a bad loss to Alabama one year. Great place to tailgate but I learned that 90% of those slots were owned by corporate donors who would set up huge tents in the grassy area on Friday and have 50-100 people come by. Was pretty funny though, multiple big screen TVs with satellite, wait staff serving food and drinks, and music. Not exactly tailgating.

I think the university has to take the position that things will return to normal by then just to give people some hope. I also think they have to put things in place so they are ready for the season if this is brought under control.

The next question is whether you think UT will refund the ticket money if the season gets cancelled?

The flu season starts in October so those deaths have been adding up for 6 months vs 3 months for CV19. The US is just now getting into the teeth of this thing. The numbers may be comparable by June, but hopefully I’m wrong.

I got my Information from the CDC, let's take away half of the flu victims and say 3 months for both: CV19- 300 and the Flu-9,000

Yes, I see why you wrote lol

Just saying

If everyone follows the guidelines for the pandemic, the epidemic could be over by the end of June, especially if a treatment has been determined/developed. That would leave enough time to get the season started on time. If the seasob is postponed, the NCAA will find its self in a position where some drastic decisions have to be made. What will they do with the players who will have missed an entire sason? What will they done wth a new class of twenty five are entering school, even if classes are still being held on the internet? If they increase the scholarship limit by twenry five, and if so, how do they reduce the scholarship number back to eighty five? Do they still allow transfers to happen? Do they have the same same number of scholarships, all Divisions ? Will they allow fans to attend the games?

With all of this said, I thnk we have a 50% chance of having football this Fall and that all aspects of the game will intact.

Every virus runs its course. The French have already produced an effective treatment regime that is thought to be killing the virus in humans. They are so convinced that it is working that they say it is malpractice not to use it.

The curve on this is already falling in China and South Korea. The smartest thing we did was to close down our links to China to keep the numbers down here. As soon as we have people that have developed the antibodies from the infection we will also see a decline. You also have to wonder if the virus has not already been present in people before now and they thought they had flu like symptoms. We do not know for sure because no one has been testing for it and the testing we are doing now is showing cases were already present in the population, especially in the larger urban areas.

One course of action I do not understand at this point is setting up the temporary hospitals in the large metro areas. Who is going to take care of those additional patients? The existing medical personnel are already stretched to the limit in the clinics and hospitals.

The one lesson that we have to learn from this is that we should never be dependent on any other country for our industry and manufacturing output. We have to have the same attitude with this as we had with oil in the last century.

I do have to wonder about the panic when so many more people die with the flu this year in the US.
To your point of not being dependent on other countries, we can't totally do that, but that is what Trump has been trying to do, bring American jobs back to America, by increasing tariffs on our trading partners to create a more level playing field for the U.S. We have had a trade deficit with other countries for way too many years. Maybe at one time we could allow this, but those countries have caught up with us, and passed us in many instances, to the point of having a huge advantage over our manufacturing.

Speaking as a physician you should have your answer in 3-4 weeks. If there’s significant drop in new cases I think you’ll see some of the restrictions phased out. If there’s not we’re already hosed.

I think you’ll also see the reality of the cure being more destructive than the disease from an economic standpoint. In the short term a vaccine isn’t an option but there are treatment trials using various well understood drugs. As far as the question about the upcoming season yes I do believe there will be a 2020 season because it’ll either be under some sort of control or will have infected enough people to cause a degree of herd immunity

Less than 500 total deaths in the USA this morning. This is a month after hearing and reading of our doom. Drudgereport cranks out numbers in their headlines of "millions" yet all of China only had 80,000 total cases? Spare me the hysteria and lack of rationality exhibited by a politically driven media.

Less than 500 total deaths in the USA this morning. This is a month after hearing and reading of our doom. Drudgereport cranks out numbers in their headlines of "millions" yet all of China only had 80,000 total cases? Spare me the hysteria and lack of rationality exhibited by a politically driven media.

While I don't believe the US will reach "millions" of deaths, I wouldn't believe any of the numbers coming out of China.

Drudge Report has resorted to chicken little end of the world headlines for clicks. Used to be a good website, now it’s basically the national inquirer online that does nothing engage in fear mongering

Last edited:
This is the key IMO. The finger pointing and wanting to be right needs to take a back seat right now.

This is very important. I’m not saying we should hold everything but things like House, Cars, and even rent should be held until we get ahead of it. Otherwise people panic worse and it spirals even further.

Reactions: TrueOrange
At some point we’ve got to get back to some sort of normalcy. We have between 500-600 cases in Tennessee out of 6.5 million people. If you go to a ballgame, concert, whatever, don’t go see your 65+ year old parent/grandparent for a couple weeks. If you develop symptoms get tested and self quarantine. Be smart, wash hands, don’t go to work if you feel bad. We can’t continue to shut down the country. The consequences of doing so will be exponentially worse than the virus itself.

VN Store

Back