Realistically, do you believe there will be a 2020 season?

Will there be a 2020 college football season?

• Total voters
From that narrow angle, I would say they are very close now on having to make a decision. The logisitics and order cycles for the supplies needed are typically a couple of months.

Definitely. They may be at a point where they proceed as scheduled but always be ready to pull the plug come August. I don't know. I'm sure everyone involved is going absolutely nuts.

Definitely. They may be at a point where they proceed as scheduled but always be ready to pull the plug come August. I don't know. I'm sure everyone involved is going absolutely nuts.

I think towards the end of May into early June is when serious talks will rev up regarding what to do about the season. We should be through the worst of it by then according to the projections. Right now they're probably just having preliminary talks regarding a number of possibilities if they have to push back the season.

Reactions: Remy
Just a guess but I suspect that if they want to order the quantity of concessions and such necessary to hold the games then they need to place the orders soon. That's just one part but cancelling orders of that magnitude comes at a price.

Currently .04% of Tennesseans have tested positive for Covid-19. I believe the number of infections is understated significantly since a lot of people either have no symptoms or else so mild that they treat as they would the flu or a cold possibly never realizing they had it. There are people now finding evidence that we had cases as far back as November that were not recognized.

But to make the numbers close... let's say that at least 4 times the reported number are infected at any one time and that the attendees at a UT football game would be representative. We won't even count those who stay at home because they feel too sick.

That would mean that out of 102,000 people... there would be about 122 who were carrying Covid-19. As defined by CDC, these folks would only come in "direct contact" with a handful of people.... say 10 to be conservative. Only one out of those 10 is likely to contract the virus. Out of those 120 about 70 will be asymptomatic. The other 50 will have varying degrees of sickness.

If this is a concern then you should never go to a UT football game. You have a similar chance of catching the flu or a cold that could make you sick. Covid-19 is looking more and more likely to be no more deadly than the seasonal flu.
Yes unfortunately it’s getting worse not better so the data will change. My work is closed for 5 weeks. I hope May this gets better but life as we know it will change. I’m still sad.

Reactions: MaTaLa
That is one of the stated reasons. In the 2017-2018 flu season about 950,000 people were hospitalized for the flu almost exclusively between November and the middle of April. Perhaps the concern was that Covid plus the flu would overtax the system... but even that has not been close to true yet.

What do you mean by the next 4-6 months? What about them? Are you suggesting we continue what is happening now?

A few weeks ago it was projected that if the extreme lockdown policies continued into the summer we would lose about 30 million jobs. As late as a week ago, gasoline sales which are a critical economic indicator were projected to be off 25% in April. Over the last two weeks, almost 10 million people have applied for unemployment. The current projection is that gasoline sales will be off more than 50% in April. Economically... we do not have 4-6 months. We cannot even be sure we can pull up from the damage already done.

The choice isn't whether or not to lose lives. The choice is what choices risk MORE lives. Do we continue these extreme measures and reduce the Covid mortality rate (whole population) from .06% to .02%... or do we risk damaging the economy in such a way that people die from a myriad of reasons?

You are SPOT ON!!...having read through all of your posts.

Reactions: VolDave53
This thing is fixing to plateau out soon. May is going to be the start of trending down I believe, we have a few medicines working now successfully. I think once things start turning around it will really start getting better. Many scientist I have seen talking lately are more confident than ever, one even thinks things turn dramatically for the good in May. GBO!!!!! We are going to get through it, and the the model numbers are going to be proven to have been to high, not that it isn't bad and but from many experts they are optimistic that the turn around is in sight. GBO!!!!

Reactions: Remy
I voted no but 50/50. If testing is widely, widely available and the quick FDA approved test is the new standard testing, maybe teams can be tested before games. I don't know. Empty stadiums, later start time who knows. It's hard to say "well that won't happen" because if you would have told me 3 months ago all the businesses that are closed today would have been closed, I would have laughed at you so I'm pretty sure anything is on the table and nothing should be shocking at this point. Hoping for the return of any sports. Anything!

Sources: Trump says NFL should start on time Sources: Trump says NFL should start on time
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app
Guess we will all have to watch NFL then

Yup and I got a nasty respiratory infection a couple weeks ago and was told by my employer I needed to be tested for Covid19 and then denied by the CDC after going through my doctor right after Trump said "if you need a test go get a test" lol. Not bashing the president because it isnt the time for that but we have to many smart and qualified ppl tackling this for me to even care what he says.

Yup and I got a nasty respiratory infection a couple weeks ago and was told by my employer I needed to be tested for Covid19 and then denied by the CDC after going through my doctor right after Trump said "if you need a test go get a test" lol. Not bashing the president because it isnt the time for that but we have to many smart and qualified ppl tackling this for me to even care what he says.
Hope you’re fully recovered

He said not all people need it. But I don’t know why anyone would automatically think that such a general statement could be applied to their specific situation. Low risk people should not be getting tested unless they’re defying guidelines by being around a lot of people or there are just a ton of available test kits for them

I think the Spring 2021 start time is very realistic (although I'm not sure how subsequent seasons would be handled). While I think it would be okay to start by mid September based on the projections I've seen, it doesn't sound like those in charge think the same way. OU canceled all in person activities through July 31st. Other schools are almost certain to follow suit. Obviously if things were to die down to a very, very low number of cases by June, OU could potentially reconsider that decision. Assuming that decision stands, though,I don't see any way the season could start on time. Most coaches are saying they will need two months of preparation time before they could play the season. That would put Oklahoma's earliest start time in October. We'll just have to wait and see.

My advice to everyone is this: if you want any chance of there being college football this year, stay inside like you are supposed to. Trying to act tough or whatever by going out to and violating the stay at home order only increases the chances that the virus may linger, and, right or wrong, if the virus isn't basically gone by the end of summer, there seems to be very little chance of there being college football in 2020.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I think the Spring 2021 start time is very realistic (although I'm not sure how subsequent seasons would be handled). While I think it would be okay to start by mid September based on the projections I've seen, it doesn't sound like those in charge think the same way. OU canceled all in person activities through July 31st. Other schools are almost certain to follow suit. Obviously if things were to die down to a very, very low number of cases by June, OU could potentially reconsider that decision. Assuming that decision stands, though,I don't see any way the season could start on time. Most coaches are saying they will need two months of preparation time before they could play the season. That would put Oklahoma's earliest start time in October. We'll just have to wait and see.

My advice to everyone is this: if you want any chance of there being college football this year, stay inside like you are supposed to. Trying to act tough or whatever by going out to and violating the stay at home order only increases the chances that the virus may linger, and, right or wrong, if the virus isn't basically gone by the end of summer, there seems to be very little chance of there being college football in 2020.
Lol. I admire your warped priorities. Who cares about trying to save lives? Save the college football season!

I trust Trump on the economy and I don't think he will allow this to go on much longer as devastating it is. Once the new cases are on the decline, I believe that he will open things back up at least with some social distancing included. I think things are back in full sometime in May or June.

Reactions: 508mikey
Lol. I admire your warped priorities. Who cares about trying to save lives? Save the college football season!

Please point out where I said saving lives shouldn't come before football. The topic of this thread is will there be football in 2020, thus that is the primary focus of my post. I'll hang up and listen.

So look, MikeVol.......Your love of capital letters does not make your point more relevant, ok? And your frequent references to "far left-wing democrats " exposes your inherent biases. You might think about taking a step back from your emotions and reassess. When I read your posts I see an ideological agenda, not a reasoned, logical position.

As to his use of capital letters? I must agree. As to his reference to far left wing democrats showing bias? After the impeachment circus, I see more common sense than bias. At one point after them quoting Alexander Hamilton so many times, I hoped some would have his courage, and they brought back dueling. Or at least I wish I could have snuck into congress. To hide behind Adam Schiff, and every time he said whistle blower, jumped up and blown a whistle in his ear. I thought the Clinton impeachment was stupid. This topped it. And excuse the momentary sidebar that bordered on a political discussion. But you brought it up.

Reactions: AllVols
As to the poll, I vote no. Until a vaccine is announced, and readily available? Common sense says it will not happen until it happens. Now, I am sure there are people with heavier brain cells than me working on it. And I hope it happens soon, because social distancing sucks. But I reiterate my opinion that if it doesn't happen? I will be the one here least devastated about it. Because, as I am sure most realize by now, I feel nothing sucks more than targeting.

VN Store

Back