Votes: 48 21.2%

Votes: 58 25.7%

Votes: 49 21.7%

Votes: 19 8.4%

Votes: 2 0.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
If it were a non-COVID year I would’ve voted a 3 but I voted a 5 and have a little leniency this season. We beat some solid teams and blew the brakes off Kansas, but on the other hand, we lost some head scratchers like getting blown out against Florida and Kentucky, along with loses to Ole Miss and Auburn. If we win those games like I thought we were capable of doing then we were probably a 2 or 3 seed at worst. We came in with high expectations and I thought Fulkerson and Pons were going to step up and be leaders this year but it never materialized and we had to depend too much on the Freshmen. We were way too talented to get bounced in the 1st round. We basically lost to a 14-12 team that would not have even made the NIT had it not been for their run to the conference championship. Very disappointing season after the hot start we had.

Reactions: Border Vol
5. Getting in NCAA Tournament should be the expectation and thus an average year. It was frustrating and disappointing since January, but it doesn’t change the result. We got into the Dance and that should be a 5 IMO.

Reactions: Vol49er and The Dog
My hopes/expectations were relatively high, but tempered by the fact that last year was a down year, and the expectation of relying on freshmen in order to be better this year.

Just like with the football team, you really can't judge how much of a factor COVID-19 was. Making the assumption that it had a major influence, I think you (I?) give the benefit of the doubt. So, I gave a 7. Historically speaking, this was a decent year for Tennessee. We at least beat Kentucky at Rupp, and a few other historically good teams.

Even our coach had covid. So, I don't know how people can totally discount that factor.

I think C-Town Vol and others in the "Theory + a couple of observations" thread have it pretty well pegged. We just didn't ever gel as a team - at least not at the right times. Who knows? With a healthy Fulky, we would possibly be looking at a different reality today, with a possible SEC title under our belt. It just wasn't meant to be.

On to recruiting, and next year...

I did 5 cause of a tourney bid. Generally I'd say 10 is a Final Four, 9 elite eight, 8 sweet sixteen, 6-7 round of 32, 5 tourney bid, 4 winning regular season record but no bid. 3 .500. 1-2 below. Conference championship, conference tourney results, context can shift these a bit

Reactions: EZE
When you have the talent we had this year and get bounced in the first round, it is shameful. This crap made the football season look good. Ahhhh, wait till next year!!!
Don’t know how to blue font that last sentence.

On an ascending scale of 1 to 10, I'd give the first half of the season an A and the second half a D+.
But, the tourney performance gets a solid F.

Obviously not the best season, but I think we did okay considering the circumstances. Fulky was injured all year. We had to rely on two freshman to be the primary ball handlers and scorers. We have plenty of things to work on, but getting a 5 seed in the NCAA tourny is no joke. We can't sit here an pretend that we're some perennial championship contender. We've gone through long stretches in our program history where even making the NIT was hard to do.

I think Fulky might come back just given the way it ended for him this year. James did indicate that he wasn't coming back, but I don't think he's really made a decision yet.

Josiah James shoulders blame for loss, addresses where Vols have to get better

Read that as well, James is an incredibly classy young man that I think we'll be great for us next year.

I’d rate it lower, but I’ve seen the UT men’s program over the years, and outside of a few blips it’s normally mediocre or downright bad.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate this season
The way I see it is field of 64 is better than most. We were 4th in the entire SEC and while it doesn’t matter in Basketball, we were 1st in the SEC East. We beat Kansas and others. To me, that deserves a tick in the direction of better than average. 32 would be 7, 16 would be 8, Elite 8 would be 9, Final Four and beyond are 10. Some would argue that a 10 should be the natty. Keep things in perspective folks.

I went with three: 1 point each for beating Kansas, beating Kentucky, and making the tournament.

I gave them a 6. The team never meshed. Roles were never defined. You have to know who your scorers are and you have to let them shoot. I like Barnes, but going back to Jordan Bowden, and with Bailey this year, he seems to jerk shooters for one mistake. He constantly takes guys out of the game for a missed defensive assignment even though they just hit a three on the offensive end. This makes it extremely hard for good shooters to get in rhythm. Sometimes you just have to let them play through mistakes for the sake of their offense. If he does this next year Bailey could easily average 20 ppg.

I would say we overachieved, especially early on. We were overhyped coming into the season. Everyone on this forum should have known we were going to have a down year. It has not shaken my faith in CRB whatsoever.

VN Store

Back