Votes: 48 21.2%

Votes: 58 25.7%

Votes: 49 21.7%

Votes: 19 8.4%

Votes: 2 0.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
4 - Team looked good at first but was been NIT quality for the past two months. Team underperformed my (modest) expectations and clearly regressed the last two months of the season.

I think the season warrants a 4-6 rating. I went to the lower end because of the 8-8 finish to the season.

1 is not making the tournament. We made the tournament. 2 would be a double digit seed.

Top 15 preseason. SEC favorites. Four returning starters. Two legitimate NBA first rounders added. Got worse at the season went along. They looked poorly coach in February/March. Finished 4th in conference, blew a 15 point lead in the SEC Semis and then got absolutely destroyed by a 12 seed that only got in because they won their conference tourney.

Honestly relative to talent this might have been the worse coaching job at UT in basketball since Pearl in 2011.

3 - talent and experience was too great to only have one more win in SEC play vs the previous year. NCAA flameout was an embarrassment. Blowing a 15 point lead in the SECT was ridiculous. From a talent/experience vs performance standpoint this was Barnes worst year here.

I left the criteria open ended. Can think of the season itself in a bubble. Which I’d probably rate as a 4 as it certainly didn’t live up to expectations, however I will discount the fact I think injuries took its toll throughout the back half of the season

Can also rate the season relative to where I expect this program to be at this point. Probably a 5? Maybe a 6? As I still think there’s positive momentum.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
6, the two freshman was talented the others just hard working players. The reality is this team was very over ranked to begin with this setting up higher expectations.

Reactions: vettefool
Most disappointing team I've watched. It was a weird season but it jsut never clicked. Beating the teams we did by 20 and then looking absolutely lost against teams we should easily blow out might be the most frustrating thing about this team.

Reactions: vol94
3. Had young NBA talent on the perimeter, two returning all SEC players down low, and a host of good looking complimentary pieces. With all that, we had a very average regular season and a complete flop in the postseason.

Reactions: vettefool
I chose 4

We made the tournament. I’ve experienced enough Vol hoops seasons not making the tournament, so I can’t disregard that we did make it.

But the season was a disappointing underachievement.

Finished 4th in the SEC.
Didn’t make it to Sunday in the SEC tourney.
Only a 5 seed.
Bounced in the round of 64.

If you would have told any of us this would be the result of the year, we would have felt let down.

It’s amazing how expectations shape the narrative. Last year’s team, the above would have been an outstanding season.

Went 6.
Good to see basketball survive when there was talk of pushing back the season or canceling.

Vols were topic of conversation early on.

Had a good start but struggled in Feb and March. Made the tourney so I had hope that we would win first two and then anything could happen; however, we played worse game of yr round one.

I left the criteria open ended. Can think of the season itself in a bubble. Which I’d probably rate as a 4 as it certainly didn’t live up to expectations, however I will discount the fact I think injuries took its toll throughout the back half of the season

Can also rate the season relative to where I expect this program to be at this point. Probably a 5? Maybe a 6? As I still think there’s positive momentum.

Letter grade wise is how I always prefer it. I’d say D+

Mediocre season with a very young and extremely talented team, this season you'd swear Butch Jones was at the helm of the basketball team, brick by brick, plenty of turnovers, a season full of the overall sloppiness usually reserved for a Tennessee football offensive squad

1 is not making the tournament. We made the tournament. 2 would be a double digit seed.

Top 15 preseason. SEC favorites. Four returning starters. Two legitimate NBA first rounders added. Got worse at the season went along. They looked poorly coach in February/March. Finished 4th in conference, blew a 15 point lead in the SEC Semis and then got absolutely destroyed by a 12 seed that only got in because they won their conference tourney.

Honestly relative to talent this might have been the worse coaching job at UT in basketball since Pearl in 2011.

Voted 3 as well. Season was a disappointment. Team underacheived. At least they made the tournament but getting blown out by a 12th seed in the first round was pitiful.

I put a 5, but I actually would probably change to a 4. I think a 5 would be if we won a game in the tournament

The sad thing is that we were a 5 seed which on paper seems to be a decently solid season (though not great by itself), but I think we underperformed according to expectations. We had some solid games and some bright spots, but we also underperformed in quite a few games, didn't win the SEC regular season or SEC tourney, and didn't even get a win in the tourney (obviously against a much lower seeded team).

EDIT: didn't realize we could change after submitting. I have now changed it to a 4

Reactions: DonDiego
Could you say that people who voted a "3" for a 5 seed are blinded by a narrative as well?

For this season? No.

Top 15 team underperformed their preseason expectations, blew a 15 point second half lead in the SECT semis and then got manhandled by a 12 seed that was 60 spots lower than UT by kenpom

VN Store

Back