(Rat Poison warning) Josh Pate says 10-2 should be seen as the floor for Tennessee.

The fact is our offense is masking our defense issues. I know our offense can be ran fast but I think we are slower than last year at least to me it seems that way. Imo we are playing a little slower to help the defense out. If we can get some studs at DBs and few more on DL then we can really go all out fast on offense. So going 8-4 or 9-3 would be a good year in all honesty. Anything better will be us playing out of our minds. I feel luke our offense is good enough for a 10-2 season I feel like our defense is good enough for a 8-4 season.

Had to sleep on it before I could put my finger on the mistake Josh Pate makes.

He's using the wrong terms. He's talking about "floor" and what I think he means is "aspiration."

"Floor" is a very imprecise term, can mean a lot of different things. But most often, it is used to mean "minimum reasonable expectation."

And I don't think it's reasonable to expect 10 wins at this point.

But certainly that's a reasonable aspiration. We can reasonably aspire to have a 10-2 season at this point.

So he just got his vocabulary a little woppy-jawed.

Go Vols!

p.s. And I was wrong in something I said earlier in the thread, too. I said our floor and ceiling might meet if we beat LSU. But that's not true. From this point on, I think our ceiling (another imprecise term, I'm using it to mean the absolute best we could possibly do) is 11-1. I think it would be absolutely silly to expect that, and I'm not sure it is even a reasonable aspiration, but it does seem to be our ceiling.

p.p.s. How friggin' awesome is it that we're only in the 2nd year of Heupel & Co, and we're already this close to no ceiling at all? Amazing, the work that coaching staff are getting done.

Last edited:

He's using the wrong terms. He's talking about "floor" and what I think he means is "aspiration."

"Floor" is a very imprecise term, can mean a lot of different things. But most often, it is used to mean "minimum reasonable expectation."

But certainly that's a reasonable aspiration. We can reasonably aspire to have a 10-2 season at this point.

Go Vols!

p.s. And I was wrong in something I said earlier in the thread, too. I said our floor and ceiling might meet if we beat LSU. But that's not true. From this point on, I think our ceiling (another imprecise term, I'm using it to mean the absolute best we could possibly do) is 11-1 from this point. I think it would be absolutely silly to expect that, and I'm not sure it is even a reasonable aspiration, but it does seem to be our ceiling.

p.p.s. How friggin' awesome is it that we're only in the 2nd year of Heupel & Co, and we're already this close to no ceiling at all? Amazing, the work that coaching staff are getting done.

Yeah, those seem like reasonable expectations and aspirations. I mean if you really want or be technical our regular season floor is actually 4-8 and our ceiling is 12-0 but neither of those results are realistic expectations. I suppose one could aspire to 12-0 but in terms of probability it seems very unlikely to happen.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Views and clicks , views and clicks. Everyone that talks for a living wants us to be successful because our fan base makes them a ton of money .. one game at a time is all that matters . Doesn’t matter who is next up on the schedule , just find a way to win that game .

Reactions: Wezcoast

Pffttt...not with this defense and the injuries. If we go back to pressure AND most importantly, we get Hooker and Tillman back 100%, we can possibly get a split with UK/LSU and take care of the teams we're supposed to beat. That's 9-3 which would be huge for this program. Very concerned about Hooker and Tillman to be honest.

Reactions: Clayton
Talking heads gotta talk to get clicks. The older I get the more it’s all just noise. As the games play out we’ll know where we stand. Until then I just enjoy the ride and wait for the next opponent. GBO!
I’m in the same boat and it’s made watching the season so much more enjoyable. I found that placing expectations on a bunch of 18-22 year olds and then judging their success is not a recipe for enjoyment. At least not for me personally. And to be honest, we could easily be 2-2 right now despite being quite a bit better than both Florida and Pitt. Where would that put the ceiling/expectations? Like you said, just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Reactions: Halph66
Ugh.. all these people making predictions. Hope the team is just focused on the next game and not get ahead of themselves.

If we could field a decent defense, we could beat anybody! Unfortunately our defense is going to cost us some games this year, the offense looks like it can score on anyone.

At the beginning of the season, I thought 8-4 or 9-3 would be possible. I am confident we will beat at least one of the biggest four left on our schedule this year (AL, GA, LSU, KY) and I don't see any reason right now why we would lose any of the other games, so 9-3 for me looks like a good possibility at this point. If we stay healthy and the defense improves, I could see us splitting those four games and going 10-2. Its a long season though a lot of things can happen.

all these expectations were before we found out we had the best football coach in the world!

we can beat Bama and we can beat the Dogs!

Reality is if Hooker is off or injured we can lose to a lot of teams on our schedule. If our offense is firing on all cylinders we can compete with anyone. Our defense just can’t be depended on yet

Reactions: McDad
all these expectations were before we found out we had the best football coach in the world!

we can beat Bama and we can beat the Dogs!

I mean we absolutely can if we have a great day and they have a bad one. It’s not very likely that we will beat those teams, but bigger upsets happen.

Go Vols!

p.s. And I was wrong in something I said earlier in the thread, too. I said our floor and ceiling might meet if we beat LSU. But that's not true. From this point on, I think our ceiling (another imprecise term, I'm using it to mean the absolute best we could possibly do) is 11-1. I think it would be absolutely silly to expect that, and I'm not sure it is even a reasonable aspiration, but it does seem to be our ceiling.

Nicely stated. Also consider what the term "Bold Prediction" means. He has segments on his show that uses that as a title. It is an "out there" kind of thought/prediction that is not "reasonable" but rather an odds defying statement.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Kiss of death.
Lol yep. Always seem to lose the next game when these predictions get so out of hand. Tennessee has one of the best offenses in the nation but with the defense they have they’re very beatable for a decent sec team. LSU or Kentucky aren’t going to be easy games.

If we were to go 10-2 this would be comparable to Saban’s second year at Bama. He was not expected to put things together that year also. Most people thought 3-4 years for their rebuild.
Would be much better than his second year.

Lol some of you are acting way overly pessimistic

Uh hello we are clearly better than LSU and Kentucky ya'll have you been paying attention?

It will be disappointing to lose either of those games. We'll be favored!

VN Store

Back