Rankings/Stars/NBA draft

Bobby Knight once said you can not tell the difference between a 30th ranked player and a 50th ranked player because they do not play each other or against the same competition. During a press conference, a reporter asked him who he was recruiting and he made up a fake name and talked about the abilities of this fake person. Sure enough, a week later a couple recruiting services listed the fake name in their top 100.
I like to think recruiting services have gotten a lot better and coaches can evaluate players a lot better with the advent of AAU basketball. Of course some players can change a lot between 16 and 19 years old. I think David Robinson grew 8 inches in that time frame.

Reactions: BruinVol
Ok. Same

Yes only 1st round and not looking at foreign guys drafted.

I am saying and I think proving my point very well that the top 50 are easy to rank and they do a good job with it. After the top 50 there is no discernible Difference in any players nba draft projection. They just aren’t doing a good job after 50

I disagree, in that 90% are Top 150...45% are Top 25 and 45% are 26-150...only ~10% are essentially unranked (150+)...if your point is that being ranked 55, 75, 112, 128 or 141 gives the same chances of being drafted in round 1 then sure, but being ranked 200 does not, and your math shows that.

I disagree, in that 90% are Top 150...45% are Top 25 and 45% are 26-150...only ~10% are essentially unranked (150+)...if your point is that being ranked 55, 75, 112, 128 or 141 gives the same chances of being drafted in round 1 then sure, but being ranked 200 does not, and your math shows that.

Yes my point is there is no different in being 60 or 110 or 130.

Now as for 200 that’s tricky because the services stop ranking them so as we know that composite number gets shaky at best.

Also...your 26-150 is only 124 players, rankings are hitting on 45% of those 124 players.

There are approximately 1,100 unranked players each year, and yet only 7 are getting drafted...which is .006%

Reactions: k-town_king
Yes my point is there is no different in being 60 or 110 or 130.

Now as for 200 that’s tricky because the services stop ranking them so as we know that composite number gets shaky at best.
Then I agree with what you’re saying, and I’ve long argued the same...give my a guy ranked 120 that fits our culture and style over a guy ranked 65 who doesn’t fit either.

I would use Rivals, up to 150 and after that then they count as unranked.

Also...your 26-150 is only 124 players, rankings are hitting on 45% of those 124 players.

There are approximately 1,100 unranked players each year, and yet only 7 are getting drafted...which is .006%

Yes that’s why I am not trying to use that since 16 players ranked over 150 have been drafted in 4 years as evidence I am right. It’s not apples to apples.

Then I agree with what you’re saying, and I’ve long argued the same...give my a guy ranked 120 that fits our culture and style over a guy ranked 65 who doesn’t fit either.

I would use Rivals, up to 150 and after that then they count as unranked.

You are hired. Use rivals and see if they did any better with their rankings. I’d like to know

Bobby Knight once said you can not tell the difference between a 30th ranked player and a 50th ranked player because they do not play each other or against the same competition. During a press conference, a reporter asked him who he was recruiting and he made up a fake name and talked about the abilities of this fake person. Sure enough, a week later a couple recruiting services listed the fake name in their top 100.
I like to think recruiting services have gotten a lot better and coaches can evaluate players a lot better with the advent of AAU basketball. Of course some players can change a lot between 16 and 19 years old. I think David Robinson grew 8 inches in that time frame.

So Bobby Knight lied while being a jackass? That sounds about right.

That was pre-internet I bet.

Reactions: k-town_king
Out of how many total?

60 is the number drafted each year.

The difference is: The star rankings are done by recruiting services.. The draft is done by NBA General Managers based on input by scouts and coaches. Those that are drafted are based on
Potential, Need, and then based on whether you think you can win a title this year or, you are building for the future. None of the factors for drafting are even remotely linked to recruiting.

VN Store

Back