Rankings 5/9/2022

I just knew Baseball America would be one to do that

So, BA thinks 5 of top 11 and 6 of top 12 teams in America are ACC.
The same ACC with ONE national title in 65 years

I think we should be surprised the ACC is not ranked 1-5

Last edited:
I went ahead and marked the ACC school in pink to see if my judgment may be tainted.
They are ranked but only BA is packing them in top half of poll
They are also, one again, the ranking that puts Notre Dame at the highest ranking.

I note the softball team finished as the #3 seed in the SEC- congrats to them of course.
Had they done better in Oxford last weekend (1-2) they would have finished 2nd.
The Vols get a double-bye to Thursday in the single elimination tourney in lovely Gainesville. Barring bad weather; we know their games every day.
Noon Thur.
3pm Fri.
5pm Saturday

They will play the winner of the #11 Miss State/#6 LSU game from Wednesday. And is there ever really a winner when the states of Mississippi and Louisiana get together?

Kind of surprised LSU isn’t ranked higher in the D1 poll. I would have them slotted somewhere between 11-15.

Reactions: WillisWG
Baseball America is the same organization that ranked Tennessee 8th after the College World Series in 2001. That year Tennessee had the misfortune of being on the same side of the bracket with, and lost twice to, eventual champion Miami by scores of 21-13 and 12-6. Miami won the Championship over Stanford 12-1. They were by far the best team. Tennessee beat both Georgia 19-2 and Southern Cal 10-2. I was present and watching in person, it was very clear that Tennessee was the only team that could offensively compete with Miami in the entire field. That was the consensus among the other non-Tennessee fans I talked to in the stands. You can even see that by looking at the scores/records. Miami was 4-0. Stanford was 3-1 winning their half of the bracket loosing only the Championship game to Miami. Tennessee was 2-2, losing twice to Miami and beating Georgia and Southern Cal. Cal State Fullerton was 2-2 losing twice to Stanford, beating Nebraska and Tulane. Southern Cal was 1-2 beating Georgia, losing to Tennessee and Miami. Tulane was 1-2 beating Nebraska, losing to Stanford and Cal State Fullerton. Nebraska was 0-2 losing to Cal State Fullerton and Tulane. Georgia was 0-2 losing to Southern Call and Tennessee. Records Miami 4-0, Stanford 3-1, Cal State Fullerton 2-2, Tennessee 2-2, Southern Cal 1-2, Tulane 1-2, Nebraska 0-2, Georgia 0-2. The Baseball America Final Poll was 1. Miami, 2. Stanford, 3. Cal State Fullerton, 4. Southern Cal, 5. Tulane, 6. Nebraska, 7. Georgia, 8. Tennessee. As a biased Tennessee fan, I thought Tennessee should have been ranked third but no lower than fourth if you go by the unbiased on field performance. I called out the folks at Baseball America by email and was essentially told that since Georgia swept Tennessee during the regular season, so they could not ignore that. Somehow that justified Tennessee being ranked as the last place team at the CWS that year. In their highly illogical way of thinking, you can ignore ALL of the results from the CWS. Tulane, Nebraska and Southern Cal had worse CWS records and DID NOT beat Tennessee in the regular season but were ranked higher in the final poll. As you can tell, that still irks me to this day. The 2001 CWS was one of the most fun experiences of my life in spite of the unholy heat.

Baseball America is the same organization that ranked Tennessee 8th after the College World Series in 2001. That year Tennessee had the misfortune of being on the same side of the bracket with, and lost twice to, eventual champion Miami by scores of 21-13 and 12-6. Miami won the Championship over Stanford 12-1. They were by far the best team. Tennessee beat both Georgia 19-2 and Southern Cal 10-2. I was present and watching in person, it was very clear that Tennessee was the only team that could offensively compete with Miami in the entire field. That was the consensus among the other non-Tennessee fans I talked to in the stands. You can even see that by looking at the scores/records. Miami was 4-0. Stanford was 3-1 winning their half of the bracket loosing only the Championship game to Miami. Tennessee was 2-2, losing twice to Miami and beating Georgia and Southern Cal. Cal State Fullerton was 2-2 losing twice to Stanford, beating Nebraska and Tulane. Southern Cal was 1-2 beating Georgia, losing to Tennessee and Miami. Tulane was 1-2 beating Nebraska, losing to Stanford and Cal State Fullerton. Nebraska was 0-2 losing to Cal State Fullerton and Tulane. Georgia was 0-2 losing to Southern Call and Tennessee. Records Miami 4-0, Stanford 3-1, Cal State Fullerton 2-2, Tennessee 2-2, Southern Cal 1-2, Tulane 1-2, Nebraska 0-2, Georgia 0-2. The Baseball America Final Poll was 1. Miami, 2. Stanford, 3. Cal State Fullerton, 4. Southern Cal, 5. Tulane, 6. Nebraska, 7. Georgia, 8. Tennessee. As a biased Tennessee fan, I thought Tennessee should have been ranked third but no lower than fourth if you go by the unbiased on field performance. I called out the folks at Baseball America by email and was essentially told that since Georgia swept Tennessee during the regular season, so they could not ignore that. Somehow that justified Tennessee being ranked as the last place team at the CWS that year. In their highly illogical way of thinking, you can ignore ALL of the results from the CWS. Tulane, Nebraska and Southern Cal had worse CWS records and DID NOT beat Tennessee in the regular season but were ranked higher in the final poll. As you can tell, that still irks me to this day. The 2001 CWS was one of the most fun experiences of my life in spite of the unholy heat.

I’m surprised they didn’t drop Tennessee out of the Top 25.

Yep. Still a little salty. 😉

Rankings aside, over the past half dozen games, the Vols seem to be missing on about three cylinders offensively.

Reactions: LouderVol

VN Store

Back