Ranking the top 25 Power Five college football coaches entering the 2023 season

At this point I think Lane and Josh are pretty even. Lane has done more at ole miss than Josh at UT, to this point. Lane also had a better year his first year at UT than Josh’s first year here.

I disagree about Lane being above Heupel. Lane has only shown he chokes in big games at Ole Miss. Heupel took a team that, to be completely honest, was an absolute dumpster fire and had them ranked #1 in the nation in his 3rd year for a brief time. I know I would not trade Heupel for Lane for any amount of money.
100 percent agree !!!
On the field, head to head, Heupel had a less talented (according to the star gazers and recruiting rankings) team beating the tar out of Ole Miss and Kiffin.
If not for some questionable referee calls and some "injuries" that game would have been out of reach in the 3rd qtr.

As far as CJH's spot in this poll, I feel he's under-ranked by about 3 to 5 spots.
I think he's better than Kiffin, Clawson, Franklin, and Chip Kelley - the next couple of seasons will prove that out for certain.

At this point I think Lane and Josh are pretty even. Lane has done more at ole miss than Josh at UT, to this point. Lane also had a better year his first year at UT than Josh’s first year here.

Lane didn't have a dumpster fire with over 30% of the team leaving the program either.

I disagree about Lane being above Heupel. Lane has only shown he chokes in big games at Ole Miss. Heupel took a team that, to be completely honest, was an absolute dumpster fire and had them ranked #1 in the nation in his 3rd year for a brief time. I know I would not trade Heupel for Lane for any amount of money.

You’re devaluing your position. We were #1 in his 2nd season. Also, to support Heupel’s case, he beat coach’s #1 (Saban) #3 (Dabo) #6 (Brian Kelly) and #18 (Stoops) all last season .

Lane choked in big games here too. He had Alabama beat on the road and couldn’t seal the deal

Lane didn't have a dumpster fire with over 30% of the team leaving the program either.
Josh had more talent than at LEAST 8 teams on the schedule in 2021 even with the transfers. Josh is on the right track and will surpass lane very quickly if he continues on this trajectory but I’ve learned to be patient and not jump to conclusions too soon.

Josh had more talent than at LEAST 8 teams on the schedule in 2021 even with the transfers. Josh is on the right track and will surpass lane very quickly if he continues on this trajectory but I’ve learned to be patient and not jump to conclusions too soon.
Who are you, sir, and what have you done with the eternally optimistic Nationdom we all know and (mostly) love?!?

Lol, what? Heupel has a better win percentage (69% vs 63%) and has won an Orange Bowl. Meanwhile Laney got blown out in the Sugar Bowl after the ‘21 season and then the vaunted Texas Bowl this season. Both times by Big XII teams. In what world is that “even”?

VN Store

Back