Ranking ACC and SEC football coaches from No. 1 Dabo Swinney to No. 28 Willie Taggart

Dabo over Saban is hilarious.

Why is that hilarious?

Saban came to Bama and turned them around for sure and has been arguably the best coach in all of college football; however Bama was still Bama........just down. Now what the heck was Clemson football when Swinney got there? He built Clemson he made them Bama 2.........so to speak.......so again I ask why is it hilarious?

Saban: .789
Swinney: .795

Both have won 2 of the past 4 NC’s

I’m certainly not saying Siwnney is the better but as of right now..........in this very moment it has to be close. If it is close then surely one being rated over the other is not “hilarious.”

Why? Honest question. Besides your hope and likely belief in his potential, why? He got his brains beat out by both Odom and Mason with what should’ve been a better roster than either one.

Look, I’m a Pruitt guy, think he was a good hire, that’s he’s exactly what the program needs in terms of no nonsense toughness and attitude and I still have hope that he’ll turn it around this year and get Tennessee football back to where it belongs, which competing for the East and SEC. But outside a couple of anomaly upsets last year, there’s nothing to go on which says he doesn’t CURRENTLY deserve that #24 ranking. Just the way it is. A big 2019 where he exceeds expectations can change everything, but it’s gotta happen first.
Reality is a B and our roster wasn’t better than Missouri or Vanderbilt.

Im not arguing he cant recruit. If he couldnt coach nor develop he would not win nor longer continue to recruit at the level he is. He did the same at LSU and would have had similar results had he stayed there as well.

As stated above, if he was just a recruiter he would be similar to the last guy we fired. He blew up for the reasons Saban is continuing to get players. It's pretty simple.

Jones was a decent recruiter, but nowhere near the level of the bammer machine. And yes, it is a well-oiled machine. And we are going to have to agree to disagree. Bammer recruiting is so far above any other school that ANYONE could win there. Even Lyle could probably win an SECC and make the playoffs.

I will agree that Saban does a good job of developing players and maintaining discipline. But his on-field coaching is nothing special. He just lines up his superior talent and dares you to stop him.

Not to be knit picky and what not. But by definition, if his “run” wasn’t as long as Saban’s, then he didn’t have as good a run.

If he had not been caught cheating and stuck around, he would have won more NCs. USC was unstoppable when they were at their peak, every bit as good or better than any bammer team, and with a bit less talent. I'd take Carroll over Saban any day. In addition to being a better coach, he's a much nicer guy. Saban is a complete arsehole.

Dabo is a really good coach but Saban will continue to be #1 until he retires.

His resume speaks for itself.

Reactions: KBVol
Why is that hilarious?

Saban came to Bama and turned them around for sure and has been arguably the best coach in all of college football; however Bama was still Bama........just down. Now what the heck was Clemson football when Swinney got there? He built Clemson he made them Bama 2.........so to speak.......so again I ask why is it hilarious?

Saban: .789
Swinney: .795

Both have won 2 of the past 4 NC’s

I’m certainly not saying Siwnney is the better but as of right now..........in this very moment it has to be close. If it is close then surely one being rated over the other is not “hilarious.”
Dabo in the SEC with the coaching turnover would be interesting. Saban is the gold standard and probably will be for a good long time. Now if you’re asking who I would take as a hire today. I would probably say Dabo first because of Saban’s age.

Not taking a side, but it speaks volumes about the sad state of our program that the vast majority of the posts in this thread are Vol fans arguing whether Saban or Dabo is the better coach.

When I think how far we have fallen, I just want to sit down......
Not only have we fallen, but after 10 years of this, it would appear that we also lack the ability to get up.

Jones was a decent recruiter, but nowhere near the level of the bammer machine. And yes, it is a well-oiled machine. And we are going to have to agree to disagree. Bammer recruiting is so far above any other school that ANYONE could win there. Even Lyle could probably win an SECC and make the playoffs.

I will agree that Saban does a good job of developing players and maintaining discipline. But his on-field coaching is nothing special. He just lines up his superior talent and dares you to stop him.
Not comparing levels just the fact that the band guy recruited well but that didnt equal success by itself. He recruited to more wins than he actually won. Especially during his exodus year.

At the end of the day hes winning (and has been for a decade) more than everybody else, regardless of the formula.

Dabo in the SEC with the coaching turnover would be interesting. Saban is the gold standard and probably will be for a good long time. Now if you’re asking who I would take as a hire today. I would probably say Dabo first because of Saban’s age.

It would be interesting to know what Swinney would have done in the SEC. However I’m not asking who anyone would rather have or which is better. I’m just saying, right now it has to be close between the two..........therefore it’s not laughable one being rated ahead of the other or vise versa.

It would be interesting to know what Swinney would have done in the SEC. However I’m not asking who anyone would rather have or which is better. I’m just saying, right now it has to be close between the two..........therefore it’s not laughable one being rated ahead of the other or vise versa.

I hope we never get to find out, to be honest. Once Alabama's reign of terror is over with Tricky Nicky, I don't want to start that all over again with Dabo.

Not comparing levels just the fact that the band guy recruited well but that didnt equal success by itself. He recruited to more wins than he actually won. Especially during his exodus year.

At the end of the day hes winning (and has been for a decade) more than everybody else, regardless of the formula.

Yes but even as bad a game-day coach Butch was compared to his recruiting, he still managed to win 9 games twice. With bammer-level talent, he very likely could have won 11. Their talent is that much better.

Yes but even as bad a game-day coach Butch was compared to his recruiting, he still managed to win 9 games twice. With bammer-level talent, he very likely could have won 11. Their talent is that much better.

This is another are where Saban separates himself from his peers. He doesn't just recruit the best talent; he then proceeds to develop that talent. Butch is an obvious example, but also look at Gus Malzahn. Of the last 12 5-star recruits (247 composite) that Gus signed only 3 even got drafted (3rd, 4th, and 7th rounds), 3 transferred, and 6 went undrafted. You can be a recruiting ace, but if those players never develop beyond the point at which they signed, then you're not going far as a coach.

Reactions: volgrad500
And he also managed to win 4 the next season. His issues as a HC extend well past just calling plays and making decisions on Saturdays. And his recruiting fell off after his 2nd and 3rd classes because the snake oil had run its course and he was exposed. That hasn't happened to Saban and the reason(s) why are really clear. He wouldn't have lasted very long there either if given the chance.

If Saban couldn't coach, develop, and manage as well as other top level guys he wouldn't continue his success recruiting the way he has.

That clause ought to raise the concern level for folks hoping that Dabo stays put.
The only concern would be the "home" angle really. Clemson has shown they will pay and give him everything he needs to continue what he's doing there. He is the face of Clemson's success.

As prime time as he has become over the last few years, jumping in after Saban has won whatever he ends up winning adds a level of pressure he'll never see at Clemson. And with a more difficult route to boot.

The only concern would be the "home" angle really. Clemson has shown they will pay and give him everything he needs to continue what he's doing there. He is the face of Clemson's success.

As prime time as he has become over the last few years, jumping in after Saban has won whatever he ends up winning adds a level of pressure he'll never see at Clemson. And with a more difficult route to boot.

I get it. I'm not at all saying that Dabo-to-Bama is a slam dunk. I'm just saying that there's a reason Clemson put that 50% buyout bump in the contract.

I get it. I'm not at all saying that Dabo-to-Bama is a slam dunk. I'm just saying that there's a reason Clemson put that 50% buyout bump in the contract.

At this point it's the only place IMO that would get his attention. Why, has less to do with opportunity and pay. He has both of those in his pocket now.

This is another are where Saban separates himself from his peers. He doesn't just recruit the best talent; he then proceeds to develop that talent. Butch is an obvious example, but also look at Gus Malzahn. Of the last 12 5-star recruits (247 composite) that Gus signed only 3 even got drafted (3rd, 4th, and 7th rounds), 3 transferred, and 6 went undrafted. You can be a recruiting ace, but if those players never develop beyond the point at which they signed, then you're not going far as a coach.

Yes I know Saban develops the talent, as I acknowledge in a different post. Even then though, Saban can have a number of busts and still put more guys in the NFL because he has so much more to begin with.

And he also managed to win 4 the next season. His issues as a HC extend well past just calling plays and making decisions on Saturdays. And his recruiting fell off after his 2nd and 3rd classes because the snake oil had run its course and he was exposed. That hasn't happened to Saban and the reason(s) why are really clear. He wouldn't have lasted very long there either if given the chance.

If Saban couldn't coach, develop, and manage as well as other top level guys he wouldn't continue his success recruiting the way he has.

I am well aware of Butch's shortcomings, but game day coaching was by far at the top of the list. He was a good recruiter, good organizer, and early on the team bought in to what he was doing so you could say he started as a good motivator. But he was an average to below-average developer of talent and a terrible game day coach.

But enough about Butch, Saban can develop talent but he's still just an average game day coach. If his recruiting at bammer was not off-the-charts unbelievably good, he would not do so well. For proof look to LSU. His recruiting at LSU was about like any other major SEC program at the time, and after winning the MNC, LSU fell off a bit, which is what one would expect. And let me add that he dodged an NCAA bullet at LSU also. They were under investigation but then-chancellor and now NCAA president Mark Emmerich helped get him off the hook. And no doubt continues to help him....

Yes I know Saban develops the talent, as I acknowledge in a different post. Even then though, Saban can have a number of busts and still put more guys in the NFL because he has so much more to begin with.

But his number of busts is actually pretty limited. 25% of all 5 star recruits go in the 1st round of the draft. Saban's 5 star recruits go in the 1st round at a 50% clip.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Not taking a side, but it speaks volumes about the sad state of our program that the vast majority of the posts in this thread are Vol fans arguing whether Saban or Dabo is the better coach.

When I think how far we have fallen, I just want to sit down......
Stay strong brother, that sickness some of these guys have is contagious. As you can see, if you let it get you down, it's almost impossible to get yourself back up.

Reactions: VolInNW

VN Store

Back