Rank these head coaches.

cbrown

Head coaches seem to be a hotter topic now than usual, and many appear to be ready to begin another search. It’s virtually impossible to have sustained success without one that’s at least very good (7/10). Given there are so many factors that determine a coach’s success, how would you rate the following list of coaches out of 10?
Saban
Mullen
Smart
Orgeron
Kiffen
M. Stoops
Fulmer
Majors
Spurrier
Miles
Dabo
Urban

Head coaches seem to be a hotter topic now than usual, and many appear to be ready to begin another search. It’s virtually impossible to have sustained success without one that’s at least very good (7/10). Given there are so many factors that determine a coach’s success, how would you rate the following list of coaches out of 10?
Saban
Mullen
Smart
Orgeron
Kiffen
M. Stoops
Fulmer
Majors
Spurrier
Miles
Dabo
Urban
Saban
Dabo
Majors
Spurrier
Urban
Fulmer
Mullen
Smart
Miles
Coach O/Kiffin (tie)
Stoops

I'd group them into three tiers:

Saban
(Neyland)
(Bryant)
Meyer
Swinney
Spurrier
Fulmer

Majors
Miles
Smart
Mullen

Orgeron
Kiffin
M. Stoops

Note: this is each coach _at_his_best_. Les Miles today wouldn't be up with the middle group, for instance. But in his prime at LSU, he was every bit as good as Smart and Mullen. And, I would have to admit, in the same class as Johnny.

At first, I was going to put Stoops up in the top group. Then I realized you meant Mark (Kentucky) and not Bob (Oklahoma). Bob would've gone in tier 1.

(I added the General and Bear Bryant as a point of historical comparison, mostly for fun)

Go Vols!

Reactions: -GiveHim6-
Saban
Mullen
Smart
Orgeron
Kiffen
M. Stoops
Fulmer
Majors
Spurrier
Miles
Dabo
Urban
Saban
Dabo
Urban
Spurrier
Fulmer
Miles
Majors
Smart
Mullen
Kiffin
Orgeron
Stoops

Saban
Dabo
Spurrier
Meyer
Mullen
Majors
Fulmer
Miles
Smart
Orgeron
Kiffen
Stoops

Saban
Mullen
Smart
Orgeron
Kiffen
M. Stoops
Fulmer
Majors
Spurrier
Miles
Dabo
Urban

Saban
Spurrier
Urban
Mullen
Dabo
Smart
Kiffen
Orgeron
M. Stoops
Fulmer
Majors
Miles

Reactions: Catbone
I actually should have said “rate” these coaches. What I had in mind was something like:

Saban 10/10
Dabo 9/10
Majors 7.5/10
Spurrier 9/10
Urban 9/10
Fulmer 7/10
Mullen 8/10
Smart 7.5/10
Miles 7/10
Orgeron 6/10
Kiffin 6.5/10
Stoops 7/10

Saban
Urban
Dabo
Spurrier
Fulmer
Majors
Mullen
Miles
Stoops
Smart
Kiffin
Orgeron

Although Saban will likely retire in the next 5 years or so. Meaning Dabo could run past him. He’s already beat him and may continue to do so.

Because majors built three programs, won multiple SEC titles and a NC and produced talent that were NFL caliber for two decades.
Sorry But Urban is better. Can’t stand him but his teams win at every stop and he left those teams when he wanted too. He is a college coach and got the best out of his teams. Whether they turn into a good NFL player has nothing do with him winning. That’s on the player and their NFL coaches. Majors was shown the door at UT.

Sorry But Urban is better. Can’t stand him but his teams win at every stop and he left those teams when he wanted too. He is a college coach and got the best out of his teams. Whether they turn into a good NFL player has nothing do with him winning. That’s on the player and their NFL coaches. Majors was shown the door at UT.

My major knock on Majors (besides just overall winning percentage) is the amount of games he lost that in today's media age he would just be lampooned relentlessly. Once every two years, he had a "what the hell" game.

Obviously you have to put Saban 1 and Meyer 2. Deep down I won’t to put Spurrier 1. Look at what he did, he won at Duke, he won at Florida by introducing the fun and gun offense which everyone but Tennessee runs now. And then he went to SC and more or less won with defense and running the ball.

Reactions: Jaws
If you told me I could pick one of those coaches for one game, Spurrier would be my choice.

Saban. 10+
Mullen. 6
Smart. 8
Orgeron. 6
Kiffen. 5
M. Stoops. 5.
Fulmer. 7
Majors. 6
Spurrier. 9
Miles. 8
Dabo. 9.75

Saban 10.0
Urban 9.5
Spurrier 9.0
Dabo 8.5
Fulmer 8.0
Majors 7.5
Mullen 6.5
Smart 6.0
Miles 6.0
Orgeron 5.0
Stoops 5.0
Kiffin 4.5

Saban 10
Mullen 8
Smart 6
Orgeron 5
Kiffin 7
M. Stoops 7.5
Fulmer 8
Majors 7
Spurrier 9
Miles 7.5
Dabo 10
Urban 10

Reactions: TJSVOLS
Saban
Mullen
Smart
Orgeron
Kiffen
M. Stoops
Fulmer
Majors
Spurrier
Miles
Dabo
Urban
Saban and Meyer above all others. Built powerhouses that have won titles in two different places.
Dabo. It has taken a little for him to build up Clemson but he has them as a contender year in and out. I would put Spurrier in the same tier as Dabo.
Fulmer and Ed O. Honestly I think both are excellent recruiters but lucked into national titles more as the result of having great coordinators and the right timing.

Saban
Mullen
Smart
Orgeron
Kiffen
M. Stoops
Fulmer
Majors
Spurrier
Miles
Dabo
Urban
You lost me when you misspelled KIFFIN

Saban
Mullen
Smart
Orgeron
Kiffen
M. Stoops
Fulmer
Majors
Spurrier
Miles
Dabo
Urban
1. Saban
2. Urban
3. Dabo
4. Spurrier
5. Fulmer
6. Oregeron
7. Miles
8. Smart
9. Mullen
10. Majors
11. Kiffen
12. Stoops

Saban and Meyer above all others. Built powerhouses that have won titles in two different places.
Dabo. It has taken a little for him to build up Clemson but he has them as a contender year in and out. I would put Spurrier in the same tier as Dabo.
Fulmer and Ed O. Honestly I think both are excellent recruiters but lucked into national titles more as the result of having great coordinators and the right timing.
Tend to agree on Orgeron and Fulmer. Fulmer’s record against P5 opponents without Cutcliffe is right around .600 if my math is correct . . . doesn’t exactly scream excellence.

Because majors built three programs, won multiple SEC titles and a NC and produced talent that were NFL caliber for two decades.
Meyer won a NC at two different schools. He has what...3 total? Not to mention he was successful at Utah as well.

VN Store

Back