2. Mississippi ST
3. Kentucky
4. BYU
5. South Carolina
6. Vanderbilt
7. Georgia State
8. UAB
9. Chattanooga

9 very winnable games; however Tennessee prob still needs at least a year to start winning every game they should/could.

You guys are sleeping on South Carolina too much. Their record by late November may not show it because the schedule is brutal, but they will be a load to deal with. Miss State loses all of that D plus I don’t see anyone talking about Fitzgerald being gone. Big loss.
9-3 really isn’t too far fetched on paper

1. @bama +24
2. UGA +13.5
3. @UF +10.5
4. @ Mizzou + 3.5
5. USC - 4.5
6. Miss State -5.5
7.@ UK (if you want my logic here just ask) - 6.5
8. Vandy -7
9. BYU/UAB -16.5 / -20
11/12 Don’t care

Btw I’ve never tried handicapping games before so be gentle when showing me my flaws here

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Here's how I rank Tennessee's 2019 football opponents

#1 Alabama
#2 Georgia
#3 Florida
#4 Mississippi State
#5 Kentucky
#6 Missouri
#7 South Carolina
#8 Vanderbilt
#9 BYU
#10 UAB
#11 Georgia State
#12 UT-Chattanooga
This is how I'd rank them as well, but 4 through 8 could be shuffled into any order and I wouldn't argue. Lots of unknows this year.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
This is how I'd rank them as well, but 4 through 8 could be shuffled into any order and I wouldn't argue. Lots of unknows this year.
I picked Vanderbilt over BYU and UAB because they're an SEC team. BYU has a poor offense and they have to replace their starting linebackers and I think that leads BYU to a 5-7 record in 2019 which will result in head coach Kilani Sitaki being fired. UAB wont be as good in 2019 as they were the last two seasons because they lost a ton of players. UAB has to break in a new offensive line,new starting defensive line, new linebackers and new safeties. I think UAB goes 7-5 in 2019.

UAB has a big challenge in 2019, but it’s overcome bigger

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD
Here's how I think Tennessee's opponents will do in 2019

Georgia State 3-9
BYU 5-7
UT-Chattanooga 3-9
Florida 10-2 (6-2 in the SEC)
Georgia 10-2 (7-1 in the SEC)
Mississippi State 7-5 (3-5 in the SEC)
Alabama 12-0 (8-0 in the SEC)
South Carolina 5-7 (2-6 in the SEC)
UAB 7-5
Kentucky 7-5 (3-5 in the SEC)
Missouri 5-7 (2-6 in the SEC)
Vanderbilt 3-9 (0-8 in the SEC)

Reactions: MAD
[QUOTE="Vols_74, post: 16

-Mississippi State
-Missouri
-South Carolina
-BYU
-Vanderbilt
-Kentucky
-Georgia State
-UAB
-Chattanooga

MSU loses 56% of their defense, 90th in the country. I don't think it will be near what they were last year.

And LOL at giving up 38 to a bum and inexperienced UAB team. If our 4 million dollar defensive man cant keep uab from scoring less than 38 then we might as well go ahead and fire up the old hot board.

And UK is gonna get bushwacked worst than last year.

And no way we whip Vandy. We will be lucky to just slide by them. Mason is a good coach and has had our number. He really gets that team UP for playing us. Meanwhile we sleepwalk into that game on annual basis. Hell they nearly had UF and Notre Dame last year. They will dearly miss Shurmur, but a grad transfer will ease things...just a tad.
Agreed. No idea why so many are ranking them high. Vandy, BYU, USC jr, and heck even UAB will be tougher games than them.

Miss State
Mizzou
South Carolina

BYU
Vanderbilt
Kentucky

UAB
Georgia State
Chattanooga

Though, I find it difficult to rank most of these teams this year as there's a lot more turnover than usual entering 2019. Miss State lost a lot of starters; same deal with Mizzou. Kentucky was good last year but I feel like they have the biggest talent dropoff of any team in the SEC in 2019.

Mizzou landing Kelly Bryant was a big coup. They are further down the list without that.

UAB is better than people realize. That and the BYU games are not "gimmes" even if we're the favorite.

Even Georgia State went to a bowl game.

Considering how bad UT has been the last 2 years, all of our opponents will be difficult except Chat and Ga St
Even that may be overstating matters. We struggled mightily with Charlotte.
Even with the loss of Richmond and a few other starters, we still bring back the 2nd most starters in NCAA and almost all of our scoring offense.

Most of the new starters for us will be DL and players getting recruited over which is almost never a bad thing. Richmond would have been recruited over unless he moved to guard too.
Fantastic! We are bringing back about 90% of our offensive production from last year. Of course, that offensive production last year was about 50% of what would be necessary to compete at the top level of our conference.

1. Missouri
2. Mississippi ST
3. Kentucky
4. BYU
5. South Carolina
6. Vanderbilt
7. Georgia State
8. UAB
9. Chattanooga

9 very winnable games; however Tennessee prob still needs at least a year to start winning every game they should/could.
Wrong. 9 very winnable games if a 90's-era UT team were playing for us. We are nowhere near good enough to say that anymore.

Rank these 2019 opponents from toughest to easiest. These games will be the test of how well our season goes and I want to see what Volnation thinks about our opponents.

-Mississippi State
-Vanderbilt
-Kentucky
-Missouri
-South Carolina
-BYU
-Georgia State
-UAB
-Chattanooga
1. Missouri
2. South Carolina
3. Miss st
4. BYU
5 Kentucky
6 UAB
7 Georgia st
8 Chattanooga
9 vandy

well...our offensive line mightily struggled vs them.

On the flipside we threw a measly 21 times for a very efficient 172 yards. Our defense allowed just 244 yards, less than 4 YPP. I hardly remember them even crossing the 50 yard line. That was just a terrible, terrible, terrible game by our OL (and maybe RBs, idk).

Fantastic! We are bringing back about 90% of our offensive production from last year. Of course, that offensive production last year was about 50% of what would be necessary to compete at the top level of our conference.
wait...we need to score 44 pts a game to compete?? good luck with that dream

fwiw if you read Bill C's article on returning production youll see the highest correlations are with returning receivers. Not saying we are loaded with 1st rounders, but that is certainly a pretty good of guys we have. They made quite a few plays last year, when actually given the chance.

Last edited:
...and you're suggesting that the transitive property applies to college football?

No. Just that college football is weird from week to week. It is especially true when you are trying to change the culture and maintain consistency with a bunch of 18-22 year olds. It’s hard at any level. If we played Charlotte 2 weeks earlier we probably cruise. If we played West Virginia in October we give them all they want. If we played UK pre-Georgia we might not that win that one.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Wrong. 9 very winnable games if a 90's-era UT team were playing for us. We are nowhere near good enough to say that anymore.

What part of Tennessee is “at least” a year away from winning all the games they possibly could do you not get?

I said 9 winnable games but Tennessee can’t win 9 of them right now.........basically

1. Missouri
2. South Carolina
3. Miss st
4. BYU
5 Kentucky
6 UAB
7 Georgia st
8 Chattanooga
9 vandy

Totally agree on your 1st 5. Then I have Vandy, UAB, Chattanooga and Georgia State (not to be confused with Georgia Southern which is a pretty darn good team).

VN Store

Back