Randy Sanders Retires

VolInNW

Trapped in PAC 12 Country
The father of the ever-present and always tricky bubble screen on 2nd down and the 5 yard out pattern on 3rd and 8 has decided to step down at ETSU.

All joking aside, Sanders became a decent coach later in his career, but his time at UT as OC was B-R-U-T-A-L to watch.

The father of the ever-present and always tricky bubble screen on 2nd down and the 5 yard out pattern on 3rd and 8 has decided to step down at ETSU.

All joking aside, Sanders became a decent coach later in his career, but his time at UT as OC was B-R-U-T-A-L to watch.

I agree that he mostly underachieved as OC, but I will always stick up for Phil and Randy for what they did in 2004. That was a helluva coaching job. Probably the best job either guy ever did.

I agree that he mostly underachieved as OC, but I will always stick up for Phil and Randy for what they did in 2004. That was a helluva coaching job. Probably the best job either guy ever did.
Which makes the 2005 season even more of a head-scratcher. They brought back basically everybody from that 2004 team, which was one of Phil's rare teams that probably overachieved.

They might have been an Erik Ainge injury away from beating Auburn in the SECCG that game that year...never know. That injury might have changed the course of Ainge's entire life...

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Which makes the 2005 season even more of a head-scratcher. They brought back basically everybody from that 2004 team, which was one of Phil's rare teams that probably overachieved.

They might have been an Erik Ainge injury away from beating Auburn in the SECCG that game that year...never know. That injury might have changed the course of Ainge's entire life...
As good of a job as they did managing all 3 QB’s in 2004, they did a worse job in 2005. We were good QB play away from being very good. Our defense was nasty that season.

I'll push back a little in that I think he was doing his best, he was just promoted into a job he was in no way ready for. He retires a decent coach and good person, but the decision to put him in as OC started the long slide of Fulmer. The fact Fulmer kept him in place is much more an indictment of Fulmer's personality and ego than anything that is Sanders' fault.

VN Store

Back