Randy Sanders reflects on Miracle at South Bend

I would rather have a gunslinger at the offensive coordinator position (Cutcliffe or Chaney) than a timid coach (Sanders).

Sanders is the living embodiment of the Peter Principle. He rose from placeholder at the 85 sugar bowl to his level of incompetence, OC during the decline of Tennessee Football.

I remember it a beautiful day in Chattanooga. Maybe a little cool. Lived in apartment w my new bride in East Ridge and went to wash my car at halftime thinking how bad they were waxing us. Remember her and I watching the 4th Q on some little 24" TV w rabbit ears and could believe it.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Love that ND game. But Randy Sanders is a complete moron and needs to be nowhere near our program. He screwed us as a player and as a coach

I remember exactly where I was when Johh Ward announced "the kick is up, is straight enough, its long enough, its good.... not its no good. its no good!" maybe not exact quote but pretty close. Was going to pick up the girl I was dating and listening to game on the radio. After I picked her up, we went to the Fort Henry Mall in Kingsport for a movie. Saw some Tennessee fans there in their Tennessee gear and walked up to them and said "What did you think about the game?" .they said.. "I had to turn it off, it was awful" hated to tell them but then glad to tell them at the same time, you should have kept listening because we came back and won. And since then I always watch or listen to games til the end no matter what.

Reactions: EZE and FïreBall
Love that ND game. But Randy Sanders is a complete moron and needs to be nowhere near our program. He screwed us as a player and as a coach
Say what you want about him as a play caller, Randy Sanders was the recruiting coordinator that orchestrated one of the great talent raids ever in the mid 90s that resulted in us winning a national championship while Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina were going through head coaches like popcorn. You also won’t find many position coaches that had better runs than James Stewart, Aaron Hayden, Charlie Garner, Jay Graham, Jamal Lewis, Shawn Bryson, Travis Henry, Travis Stephens.

Well, he did his best and he loved this school. When he determined his best wasn't good enough, he resigned. Didn't wait to be fired, he resigned. Honorable actions after he parted ways, too, so I respect him a lot.
We forget that Randy was still finding his way, as an offensive coordinator. How much of the offense he controlled, is still a big mystery.
He moved on, and grew, as a coordinator, and is now The HFC at ETSU. I believe he will get the Bucs back on top.
He is a good man......a good person. He loves UT, with every fiber of his being, and probably hopes to return, someday.

Reactions: FïreBall
We forget that Randy was still finding his way, as an offensive coordinator. How much of the offense he controlled, is still a big mystery.
He moved on, and grew, as a coordinator, and is now The HFC at ETSU. I believe he will get the Bucs back on top.
He is a good man......a good person. He loves UT, with every fiber of his being, and probably hopes to return, someday.
He said in the broadcast posted above that he longed for the day to return to Neyland as a fan and enjoy a game as a fan. That would be a totally new experience to him he said.

Wow!! I ran across my digital copy of The Miracle at South Bend a few days ago and sat at my pc watching almost the entire game. In the 3rd qtr when we were on the move, the camera panned the Volunteers in the stand and whoah - I backed up the video and holy **** Batman, there I was caught on tape! I have the orange hat (along with my Orange & White Wingtips that are obviously not visible) and my buddy Bruce, who made the trip down from Milwaukee, is on the left in the white hat. The UT fans at that game Rock & Rolled the Vols to victory. What a great win for Coach Johnny Majors and terrible loss for Coach Holtz (boo hoo hahahahaha!)

1593361711914.png

BTW, is the Notre Dame Game deemed as Johnny Majors greatest Victory while coach at UT??

Well, he did his best and he loved this school. When he determined his best wasn't good enough, he resigned. Didn't wait to be fired, he resigned. Honorable actions after he parted ways, too, so I respect him a lot.

Ah yes, “resigned.”

Was having dinner w my girlfriend tonight at a restaurant in lovely Shallotte, NC (next to Ocean Isle Beach) and caught the last 10 minutes of the 1991 Sugar Bowl. Great win for the Vols but really believe that the Miracle in South Bend was Johnny Majors Swan Song. Beating Lou with Touchdown Jesus looming in the background vs the VA Cavaliers in New Orleans - just no comparison, albeit both were important games for UT.

I remember exactly where I was when Johh Ward announced "the kick is up, is straight enough, its long enough, its good.... not its no good. its no good!" maybe not exact quote but pretty close. Was going to pick up the girl I was dating and listening to game on the radio. After I picked her up, we went to the Fort Henry Mall in Kingsport for a movie. Saw some Tennessee fans there in their Tennessee gear and walked up to them and said "What did you think about the game?" .they said.. "I had to turn it off, it was awful" hated to tell them but then glad to tell them at the same time, you should have kept listening because we came back and won. And since then I always watch or listen to games til the end no matter what.

And sometimes you have to watch even longer than that....

I came home on Sunday after the 13-man debacle in Baton Rouge and the wife said “that was a great win....” I asked when she turned it off and she said “after UT stopped the last play” ... to which I had to explain that the last play wasn’t really the LAST play. Replay has caused some changes.

Also a good reason to not start talking trash if your team gets off to a hot start. I remember some smug Gators around me after they went up 21-3.

I was all on the Fire Randy Sanders bandwagon and in fact created a FB group dedicated to urging his ouster. Turns out the group still exists! Log into Facebook | Facebook

Remember attending a game at Neyland w seats near the field and yelled "Fire Sanders" the whole game. He was sooooo done at UT when he finally, and I mean finally departed.

Remember attending a game at Neyland w seats near the field and yelled "Fire Sanders" the whole game. He was sooooo done at UT when he finally, and I mean finally departed.

I didn't start at UT until August 2003, and by that time fans seemed pretty fed up with Sanders and his bubble screens. I still remember a walk-on QB getting very angry with me in the Gibbs Hall cafeteria about the Fire Randy Sanders Facebook group. He told me Sanders was an "offensive genius" and would be at Tennessee for a long time.

VN Store

Back