Randy Sanders reflects on Miracle at South Bend

That tricksy bubble screen on 2nd down, and that ingenious 6 yard out pattern on 3rd and 8.

He was an absolutle offensive mastermind.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
That tricksy bubble screen on 2nd down, and that ingenious 6 yard out pattern on 3rd and 8.

He was an absolutle offensive mastermind.
Randy Sanders ran the offense Phil wanted. And that out pattern short of 1st down has been in every Vols playbook before and since. Coach Sanders was not a great coordinator, but his tenure was the era of Phil's offensive philosophy in action. He would have been better if he went for it more, like Cutcliffe could push Phil to do.

Drove down from Milwaukee to that game and tickets were selling for $200-$300 each. Then, no tix were available until a nice older UT couple walked up and sold my buddy and I two tickets in the UT section for $50/each. That itself was a miracle. I sat in the middle of the UT section in the corner of the endzone and brought two UT seat cushions, that when you pound them together, they sound like a shotgun. Had those going non stop the whole second half and the UT fans were going nuts and being crazy loud. At the end of the game, when the winning field goal attempt skipped off Jeremy Lincolns bum and well, we all jumped on the field and many of us took home a piece of turf and UT history was born. Thanks Coach Majors for the memories. Sure was nice beating Lou that day.

Drove down from Milwaukee to that game and tickets were selling for $200-$300 each. Then, no tix were available until a nice older UT couple walked up and sold my buddy and I two tickets in the UT section for $50/each. That itself was a miracle. I sat in the middle of the UT section in the corner of the endzone and brought two UT seat cushions, that when you pound them together, they sound like a shotgun. Had those going non stop the whole second half and the UT fans were going nuts and being crazy loud. At the end of the game, when the winning field goal attempt skipped off Jeremy Lincolns bum and well, we all jumped on the field and many of us took home a piece of turf and UT history was born. Thanks Coach Majors for the memories. Sure was nice beating Lou that day.

One of my favorite stories of the game is the four (4) people from Chattanooga that left the game at the half, and flew back to Chattanooga on their private plane, landed only to find out that the Vols pulled a big-upset and won the game.

Randy Sanders ran the offense Phil wanted. And that out pattern short of 1st down has been in every Vols playbook before and since. Coach Sanders was not a great coordinator, but his tenure was the era of Phil's offensive philosophy in action. He would have been better if he went for it more, like Cutcliffe could push Phil to do.
True. That play has been in the playbook ever since but no one ran it into the ground like Sanders did. Even when coverage was not right to run it, that didn’t stop old Randy from dialing it up two times in a row.

Reactions: SpookyAction
I boarded a plane for Rome at halftime. No internet, no college football coverage in the papers, took me until Tuesday when they came out with rankings to discover we had won. Couldn't believe it!

VN Store

Back