Randomly meeting a Vol Stories

I was at work in Johnson City and our drug rep came in to take us to lunch. It was Todd Kelly Sr. Was when his son was still at UT. Talked to him quite a bit over the course of a couple of years as he would come in to visit us and take us to lunch. Was a super nice guy and was pretty dang cool to see that super bowl ring!

Had a great conversation with Alontae Taylor’s parents outside of Gate 21 two years ago. Being a Chattanooga boy, I told them it was easy to pull for a Coffee County kid like Alontae. Come to find out, his Mom told me he was also looked at in Baseball coming out of high school. Alontae has a 94-95 mph fastball. Somebody call Coach Vitello! Great family who is very proud of their son.

Also ran into Jonathon Johnson (WR from the Butch era) at the airport in Houston. Talked with him and his family for a good 15-20 mins. Have also met and talked with Ainge, Chris Walker, Johnny Majors and Coach Cut on a couple separate occasions. My stories aren’t as awesome as some of these! Great thread.

I was Devaun Swafford's mailman for a couple of years. Nice guy. We enjoyed talking about his TD against Georgia on the punt block

Reactions: WiscVol
We were at Pat O’Briens the night before the ‘86 Sugar Bowl. I saw Bobby Scott and went up to him and said something along the lines of it was great to see the last UT QB that played in the Sugar Bowl. I think he was surprised an 18 year old kid recognized him.

He invited me to sit with he and his wife and friends. Bought me a hurricane and we talked for a bit. He was so incredibly friendly. I still have his autograph on a Pat O’s coaster. David Keith was there that night as well.

How many times did he say, "You know"? Or did you lose count?

Me & good friend beat Peyton Manning & friend of his 3 games to zip in fooseball @ Toddys Backdoor Tavern probably his summer of his senior year. My friend is really good & it drove Peyton bonkers. Peyton frequented Toddys back in the day

I ran into Coach Fulmer and what I now assume was a recruit, as they were walking down by the park next to Calhouns, back in the late 90’s. I was pretty young, likely not yet 10, and I was pretty star struck. Trying to act mature, I said “Hey, Phil!” and waved. He graciously said hello as they passed. I ran over and told my mother, who promptly gave me down the road for being disrespectful in addressing him.

Later in life I was even further embarrassed to learn that he strictly preferred to be called Phillip.

VN Store

Back