Random, Thoughts, X,XXIV

Every post in this forum is a test of my patience with you fine people.
tenor.gif

Is it though?

I feel like no one can properly explain to me the whole effected/affected thing.

tl;dr
The problem is people rarely distinguish when they speak: it's UH-fect when most people say it.

Effected means to cause something to happen or to accomplish. E.g., We effected our goals in every area. If you use it as a verb, which is not very common, just treat it as a synonym for accomplish.

Affected means to influence or (archaically) to pretend. E.g., Bad weather affected our plans. Bad weather effected a change in our plans. Note: the bad weather did not "influence" a change in the plans; it "caused" the change. The boy affected a love of Shakespeare to please his girlfriend.

Affect vs. Effect and Who vs. Whom are the most challenging things to teach, I think.

For affect as a noun, well just watch some Criminal Minds episodes and listen to them talk about the affect of the subjects (their mood/expression). Danny Glover does commercials for Pseudo Bulbar Affect, which my aunt has.

Reactions: Tin Man
Influencing vs. causing is always where it gets me.
right
I try to stay away from examples in class that can be read either way
It's tricky for sure
Then there are the idioms in effect (like storm warning) and take effect (like medicine) hahahaha

tl;dr
The problem is people rarely distinguish when they speak: it's UH-fect when most people say it.

Effected means to cause something to happen or to accomplish. E.g., We effected our goals in every area. If you use it as a verb, which is not very common, just treat it as a synonym for accomplish.

Affected means to influence or (archaically) to pretend. E.g., Bad weather affected our plans. Bad weather effected a change in our plans. Note: the bad weather did not "influence" a change in the plans; it "caused" the change. The boy affected a love of Shakespeare to please his girlfriend.

Affect vs. Effect and Who vs. Whom are the most challenging things to teach, I think.

For affect as a noun, well just watch some Criminal Minds episodes and listen to them talk about the affect of the subjects (their mood/expression). Danny Glover does commercials for Pseudo Bulbar Affect, which my aunt has.
Yep, affect as a noun only occurs (correctly) in medicine, especially mental health. “Patient has a flat affect,” etc. <- this would mean that a patient has an expressionless face, or nearly so. Accent on the first syllable, so it sounds similar to (Ben) Affleck.

God bless you English teachers, especially in this day and age.

VN Store

Back