Radio broadcast

Rootyvol1998

Ik this is way off topic from the QB situation here but is their any way we can annoyDanny White about our radio broadcast?? I say annoy because I know this man truly care about making TN great again and he’s heard plenty of bitching in his short time here. Hubbs is the only positive we have if forced to
Listen to the radio for games while traveling. Bob is and always has been atrocious!! Like seriously the WORST EVER!! And this new old guy is very knowledgeable about the game but sound like he could be being help up like Bernie on weekend at Bernies! I know someone like Sir John Ward is almost irreplaceable but good lord!!! It was a hard listen while traveling down 40 yesterday. My daughter is 12 and was like how do we even follow this dad.

It's pretty hard to follow the game listening to Bob. Had to do it yesterday because I was traveling and there were so many times that you had no clue what happened until Brent spoke up to correct Bob. Add that to him sounding equally excited when the other team makes a good play and you can count me in on wanting to see someone else get a shot at it. We deserve a homer radio guy that can at least give us a general idea of what's happening.

What is this radio you speak of?
Hahah I gotcha. I was stuck in Dickson yesterday morning. Drive up in the rain Friday night for softball tournament after a volleyball tournament Friday night only to get rained out . So my daughter and I drive back,…..in the rain and had no choice but to listen. Whoa it was terrible to try to follow the game. As a kid we always turned the TB broadcast off and cranked the radio up to listen to JW. Can’t see how anyone but a blind man and or woman enjoys. Sorry no offense

Reactions: kcvols1
Leave Bob alone, He's doing the best he can....There aren't many John Wards in this world....The Alabama radio play by play guy is about the most boring I've ever heard so it could be worse.

Reactions: savannahfan
Ik this is way off topic from the QB situation here but is their any way we can annoyDanny White about our radio broadcast?? I say annoy because I know this man truly care about making TN great again and he’s heard plenty of bitching in his short time here. Hubbs is the only positive we have if forced to
Listen to the radio for games while traveling. Bob is and always has been atrocious!! Like seriously the WORST EVER!! And this new old guy is very knowledgeable about the game but sound like he could be being help up like Bernie on weekend at Bernies! I know someone like Sir John Ward is almost irreplaceable but good lord!!! It was a hard listen while traveling down 40 yesterday. My daughter is 12 and was like how do we even follow this dad.

you dont know who "the old guy" is, do you?

Nope. Yesterday driving bk in the rain was the only time I’ve lied this year so please enlighten me as I’m sure your about to do. Cause I really don’t care who he is,….tho knowledgeable he’s extremely tough to listen too considering he’s explaining the play to freakin Bob as the next play is happening.

I often turn down the TV volume and listen to Bob. There are a lost worse out there, I promise.
I tried that but either the TV is behind the radio, or, as it was Saturday, the radio was behind the TV. Int doesn't work very well.

I am so glad someone brought up this topic I listened for the first time basically because the game wasn’t on regular TV this past weekend. I have to tell you we have some of the worst announcers in college football. For a major university and a university that does a great job on media marketing that is a total failure of the program. Poor Bob stayed lost most of the game kept having to be corrected on a multitude of subjects. Things like players, plays, officiating calls, down and distance, and the current score, just the stuff they’re supposed to know. Someone kept correcting all of his mistakes from the sidelines giving the correct information. But the broadcast was really atrocious and unfortunately both of the announcers are past their time on the microphone.

It’s not good. Pat Ryan is knowledgeable, but doesn’t seem to know when to interject. It seemed like he needed to be prodded to talk. And……he is a little Ben Stein-like.

Tim Priest was great, and the only reason Bob was somewhat tolerable. That’s over.

I know he gets a lot of heat, but in my mind, Mike Keith along with Dave Mcinnes are the best football radio duo in the business. Exciting, knowledgeable, animated, and always informative—- painting the picture. I am never lost with Mike Keith calling a game.

I wish they called the Vols on Saturday and the Titans on Sunday.

Bob reminds me of fat free skin milk, looks just like milk, but somethings missing. In the same way, Bob sounds good for a minute or two, then something happens and you feel like your missing something. It’s hard to describe what it is. A really good radio guy has you glued to the game, you’ll just stay that extra minute in the car, just to hear his side of things. John Ward was unmistakably one like that. Bob, with his silky smooth voice, sorta sounds like a guy who could be in anywhere in the radio field, voice overs, commercials, music, news, interviews, NPR, but a play by play game announcer, he just doesn’t cut it. Never has… Not enough passion, maybe… I know he would disagree with that, but there is something about how he calls a game that makes it impossible to really pay attention to. It sorta puts me to sleep. Fast paced sure, but dry, wordy, and unlovable. And that’s his biggest weakness, is that for whatever reason, right or wrong, the fanbase has never really liked him, time to change things up. Listening to the radio across the country in my travels, and I’m often reminded how we have accepted historic mediocrity for far too long.

Last edited:
Ole Bob called the TTU qb Miller, Milton at least twice.
I've met Bob a few times very nice likeable guy, but he does not do a good job, as it was said above of painting a picture. You never know how much time is left or what quarter it is. It could be worse as some have said, like if Ainge or will west were to call the games.

I will say this, his production work, interviews, shows, reports, etc… is often top notch. But calling games is too often a mismanaged snoozefest. Really in almost any type of game he calls, in any sport, but I would have to say that I think he does baseball best.

Add that to him sounding equally excited when the other team makes a good play

I listen to a lot more games (both football and basketball) than I'm able to watch televised. I'm much fonder of Kesling than most here (among other reasons, his broadcast let me follow the 2001 Florida game from Greece).

The problem you've identified, though, is real, and my sense is that it's been getting worse of late. I live outside the South, and neither my wife nor my children have ever seen a Tennessee team worth getting excited about, so I'm on my own at game time. The Vol Network gives me an opportunity, in some sense, to follow the Vols with other alumni who are eager for their victory. The excitement in Kesling's voice when, say, our opponent recovers our fumble really undermines that (and makes the disappointment all the worse, as I often think initially that something good has happened for us).

I will say this, his production work, interviews, shows, reports, etc… is often top notch. But calling games is too often a mismanaged snoozefest. Really in almost any type of game he calls, in any sport, but I would have to say that I think he does baseball best.

He does basketball pretty good. John Wilkerson and Vince Ferara calls baseball games.

Last edited:
Bob sucks. It has nothing to do with following the legend of John Ward. Bobs job is to paint a picture of what is happening. The score, where on the field the play is happening, the time remaining, the down and distance to go, and a description of the play.

He fails at all of those. If I sucked at my job as much as he has sucked at his the past 22+ years, I guarantee I'd be fired ten time over. He should be too. He's awful.

Who is the old guy? agree he is bad and came up with some kind of bizarre take on a ref call in the Pitt game that made me blurt out “Dumba$$” out loud.

VN Store

Back