R.I.P. Terry Beasley, Auburn All American WR

GroverCleveland

22nd & 24th POTUS; non-Nobel Prize Winner
Not an Auburn fan, but Beasley and Sullivan were amazing when they were on the field.

War Eagle, Terry.

Not an Auburn fan, but Beasley and Sullivan were amazing when they were on the field.

War Eagle, Terry.

One of my most heartbreaking games was against that duo in Neyland. I was on the sideline and I still remember that off sides call...twice...that wasn't. That was the game I learned to hate refs. Cool mesh jerseys tho.

One of my most heartbreaking games was against that duo in Neyland. I was on the sideline and I still remember that off sides call...twice...that wasn't. That was the game I learned to hate refs. Cool mesh jerseys tho.
We had them beat until those two hooked up and chipped us to death. I remember cold. And Beasley returning after an injury. And a low score.

I was there also. It was the first loss by UT on “Doug’s Rug”, the Tartan Turf. I believe they went 68-69-70 without a loss. I remember Tennessee DBs and safeties absolutely poling their receivers on every pass but they just kept coming. Heartbreaking loss. Agree with the “cool jerseys”.

Reactions: VolTull
PS, Grover. Thanks for posting. I’m originally from AL and all my contacts and former teammates who were associated with him had nothing but great things to say about Beasley. CTE is real and a BAD syndrome. Prayers out for his family.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
God that stuff was awful. I remember walking out on it several times and being amazed at how hard it was. 3M failed miserably, **** had black algae/mold streaks, did I mention it was pulled over concrete?
It actually had a Brillo Pad texture to it. Some of my friends had trouble with infected friction burns on elbows, knees etc.

Beasley and Sullivan gave Tennessee fits in the 70s, prior to divisions, we played Auburn every year, they played very similar to John Reaves and Carlos Alvarez over at Florida about the same time, although we didn't have to play Florida every year until the divisions were established,

The college players from the late 60's and the early 70's are all in their early 70s now, much like our war veterans, we need to preserve their stories, record their histories and honor their contributions in building their part of the greatest college football conference in America, from very humble beginnings with no apparel sponsors, no significant media or television arrangements, basically just afternoon games unless you were at LSU, perhaps a solid radio broadcast, no video tape, it was all film, but it was competitive back then, we just didn't know it,

Last edited:
It actually had a Brillo Pad texture to it. Some of my friends had trouble with infected friction burns on elbows, knees etc.
I know players that had such severe "carpet" burns on their hands that they still have the scars to this day

Reactions: mercuryvol
Chadwick fumbled deep in auburn territory with Tenn up 9-3. A Fg would win but Aub recovered & Sullivan drive 80+ yds to win 10-9. Tough loss

Beasley was a great player. Head injuries ruined his life in his later yrs.

Reactions: mercuryvol
God that stuff was awful. I remember walking out on it several times and being amazed at how hard it was. 3M failed miserably, **** had black algae/mold streaks, did I mention it was pulled over concrete?
Asphalt. You could see it in the end zone. Imagine a thin carpet over your street outside.

Asphalt. You could see it in the end zone. Imagine a thin carpet over your street outside.
Asphalt. Damn. One of the selling points from 3M - and I worked for that fine company - is that you could take a hit around the knee and your "cleats" would lock your lower leg. Less injuries. Supposedly. Many more concussions though.

Asphalt. Damn.

Reactions: GroverCleveland

VN Store

Back