R.I.P. Tennessee Football 1891-2020

Vanderbilt has collected millions for decades based solely on their being a member of the SEC. Their only contribution has been as the conference punching bag to provide wins for the rest of the conference the vast majority of those years. Tennessee can be the same type school and everyone in the athletic department still gets paid. So why should they put forth any effort?

Yeah, you might be in for a surprise.
I'm honestly curious to see what attendance will be like next year in all sports and at other schools and pro teams. A lot of people are taking a monster financial hit this year, and most of us have found some new things to do with our spare time. Of course, the wild card is that nobody knows what restrictions might still be in place.

Crazy world.

I'm honestly curious to see what attendance will be like next year in all sports and at other schools and pro teams. A lot of people are taking a monster financial hit this year, and most of us have found some new things to do with our spare time. Of course, the wild card is that nobody knows what restrictions might still be in place.

Crazy world.

I think all sports will take a severe cut in ticket sales. And TV ratings, which should be high with so many at home, are down this year. Trends aren’t going in a good direction.

Reactions: onevol74

Crazy world.
Two businesses that IMO will never recover to their pre-Covid levels. Restaurants-Indoor Dining & Movie Theaters.
I believe Movie Theater chains will slowly go the bankruptcy route just like the video and record stores did.

Reactions: adowns
So, UT football is dead because they haven’t fired the HC you don’t like?
Do you like him? If so, put your name forth and be added to the list.

In all seriousness, it isn't for retaining a coach he doesn't like. It's for retaining a coach no UT fan on planet Earth likes.

Reactions: onevol74
The way I see it is we have an administration and AD and boosters that are fine being Missouri.

Missouri is just happy to be in the SEC. 7-6, 8-5..... no problem, that's fine. The fans don't expect much.... don't lose TOO much but you don't have to win anything or even be close.

Those are the fans TN is looking for now. Chill, happy to be in the SEC, not looking to be "in the hunt," blasé fans. No major worries, nice checks from the SEC, and everybody's happy.

For us, it's a decision. We can become that kind of laid back fan base or we can torture ourselves, gnash our teeth, and bloody our fingers here.

It's sad but that's what is happening.

Two businesses that IMO will never recover to their pre-Covid levels. Restaurants-Indoor Dining & Movie Theaters.
I believe Movie Theater chains will slowly go the bankruptcy route just like the video and record stores did.

I think you can add Hotels to that. Business travel & conventions will be reduced going forward. Yes they’ll be some of it but nothing like before.

No one inside the university cares about football anymore. It’s a shame, we have such a rich history. Hell i don’t care if we get Hugh Hugh Freeze or not I just wanted a coach that wins instead of learning as you go and gets lucky every so often. I envy and mourn......
Back in the early nineties LSU was in worse shape than we are at the moment. I mean we are down but it was so bad for LSU the coaches had to sleep in the dorms to keep the players from killing each other. We came down there and beat the snot out of the tigers. I lived in Baton Rouge in those days and saw what happened. have we hit rock bottom? Can we deep ourselves deeper? Absolutely. Playing a bowl game is a joke. We don’t deserve it and I’d say most players would opt out. 3-8 season would be rock bottom. LSU pulled themselves out of a dumpster fire maybe we can to.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Back in the early nineties LSU was in worse shape than we are at the moment. I mean we are down but it was so bad for LSU the coaches had to sleep in the dorms to keep the players from killing each other. We came down there and beat the snot out of the tigers. I lived in Baton Rouge in those days and saw what happened. have we hit rock bottom? Can we deep ourselves deeper? Absolutely. Playing a bowl game is a joke. We don’t deserve it and I’d say most players would opt out. 3-8 season would be rock bottom. LSU pulled themselves out of a dumpster fire maybe we can to.
Good idea about the opting out. I would like to see enough players opt out of the bowl game so it will have to be canceled because of an insufficient roster.

Reactions: Bigorangedan23
The numbers were already way down in 2018. We had like 70k in attendance for the Mizzu game that was for a bowl bid. Then we have a season like this in 2020 and you think 2021 we’re gonna magically go back to filling Neyland? If Pruitt is somehow still the head coach next year we are gonna see Neyland at half capacity.
Never happen. I have never seen Neyland half full, even the worst teams playing Nobody U draw 80+.

No UT football is dead from hiring 3 incompetent coaches in a row.

Let's not forget Kiffin and what he did to us. He's the reason we had to scramble to hire Dooley and that's really what started us down this path of suckage. So, 4 terrible hires after we fired Fulmer got us here.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Let's not forget Kiffin and what he did to us. He's the reason we had to scramble to hire Dooley and that's really what started us down this path of suckage. So, 4 terrible hires after we fired Fulmer got us here.

Except we didn't HAVE to hire Dooley. We should have gone with Kippy Brown for a year and then gone after a coach instead of going after a guy literally nobody else wanted.

VN Store

Back