R.Davis / MeMe !

I watched the last two games start to finish; two things

1. Holly cannot coach.
2. The "talent" on the court, is, and I am very serious, not good.

Numbers don't lie. We have seen this slow moving train wreck for several years. It is here; the program is mediocre.

Congrats UTAD! Can't wait to see how you kill the Women's Softball team !!!

I only watched the second half of the Alabama game - my first viewing of this team this year and I wasn't focused on it too closely ….. more of a fan of the Men Vols but I don't mind sharing my limited observations --- no one appears to be coaching i.e. helping this team ….. I am not sure anyone could coach them up - because the talent doesn't appear to be there. I am not sure what is on the bench but the players on the floor appeared to be struggling mightily.

Much like the offensive line with a couple of weak key pieces like the center missing - the ladies appeared to me to have a few glaring weaknesses. Here is what I observed - would like to hear others thoughts.

Point guard on offense.…… what was going on there ? On the offensive end - the point guard appears to be maybe too big and awkward, dribbles too high to bring the ball up and does a woeful job of getting the ball distributed. No one is really moving with a purpose and the ball is sticky in everyone's hands, but it has to start with a good point guard to direct the flow. Even when the pg penetrated around the goal -- she was out of control and would throw up a wha hoo shIXXXX that would clang off the backboard, usually missing the rim altogether. They were all largely standing around watching and waiting to see if the ball would come their way.

Point guard on defense …… first it looked like she forgot to wear her basketball shorts and had to borrow someone else's shorts ….. not sure what that is all about. She picked up the person she was guarding way, way to far out on the floor, her defensive style waving her arms wildly and way apart from her body thoughs her body out of rhythm and prevents her from flowing and staying in front of the person she is defending. Every time the girl she was guarding flew past her for an open layup or a dish off to someone else for an open layup.

On the interior - some of those players are just not athletic, don't appear to be in good shape, and struggled boxing out, positioning, and rebounding. I didn't think Alabama looked very good - it somewhat looked like a pickup game where people were not really trying that hard. Alabama mostly shot layups - which was a function of the point guard and others constantly being beat off of the dribble.

Great games can be accidental, but great runs aren't.
Meme had a great run, this year until the end of December,
She was in the eyes of the WNBA and receiving national recognition...
The late December happened...

Let's think about this logically; great runs aren't accidental but bad runs are just something that happened? You might investigate the concept of variation around the mean and deviations from baseline tendencies.

Flip a coin repeatedly and you can have stretches where you hit heads ten times in a row but over the long haul, it still works out to a 50-50 distribution between heads and tails.

Similarly, a baseline 30% shooter can have a run of games where she is hitting 40% but recalibration will occur and she will regress back toward the mean.

Ever hear of the "one season" wonder in basketball, baseball or many other sports> It happens all the time where a slightly above average to good player has a great season (we are talking much longer than a three week stretch) and then never reaches such lofty heights again.

In Meme's case, I think she has let one facet of her game take on too much importance and she has forgotten that she can make other kinds of contributions and that is where the coaching staff should be stepping in big time.

Last edited:
Let's think about this logically; great runs aren't accidental but bad runs are just something that happened? You might investigate the concept of variation around the mean and deviations from baseline tendencies.

Flip a coin repeatedly and you can have stretches where it comes heads ten times in a row but over the long haul, it still works out to a 50-50 distribution between heads and tails.

Similarly, a baseline 30% shooter can have a run of games where she is hitting 40% or but recalibration will occur and she will regress back.

Ever hear of the "one season" wonder in basketball, baseball or many other sports. It happens all the time where a slightly above average to good player has a great season (we are talking much longer than a three week stretch) and then never reaches such lofty heights again.

In Meme case, I think she has let on facet of her game take on too much importance and she has forgotten that she can make other kinds of contributions and that is where the coaching staff should be stepping in big time.
Good stuff there. Like it!

Are you talking about me?

Rickster... I’ve seen attacks go both ways. You and I prefer to continue supporting and not going the negative route. There are all categories on here. Some never supported Holly from the getgo... Amb is not one of those.

I wish everyone would stop fighting and agree to disagree - and I’ve done my fair share of fighting on here! Just like the negativity, the constant fighting doesn’t solve anything.

I just can’t do it anymore. My heart hurts for the program... but my hurt is no more or less than any other fan’s.

**sigh**

Rickster... I’ve seen attacks go both ways. You and I prefer to continue supporting and not going the negative route. There are all categories on here. Some never supported Holly from the getgo... Amb is not one of those.

I wish everyone would stop fighting and agree to disagree - and I’ve done my fair share of fighting on here! Just like the negativity, the constant fighting doesn’t solve anything.

I just can’t do it anymore. My heart hurts for the program... but my hurt is no more or less than any other fan’s.

**sigh**

Preach. THANK YOU!

**sigh**

And another program supporter dies......adios

You need to back up and get a grip. Not sure where you got the idea that I’ve stopped supporting the program or the coach. That will never happen.

I think you need to take a break from VN.

No one is accusing you of anything let alone no longer supporting the program. Don’t worry, I am leaving effective immediately.

No one is accusing you of anything let alone no longer supporting the program. Don’t worry, I am leaving effective immediately.

Well... it seemed you said as much... but if I misunderstood, please forgive me. Just maybe take a break. These are tough times for LV fans.... but we gotta be tougher. Wishing you the best... truly. 🧡🙏🏻

Meme has clearly lost confidence in her shot. In some ways, her hot shooting from the outside in the early season was a little bit of fools gold. Her game is primarily being a lock down defender, a big guard who can hit the boards and she can get to the rim. Her outside shooting to stretch the zone is a a plus. She be our next Alexis Hornbuckle but she seems to have defined herself as a 3-point shooter, more like Shanna Zolman (which is a boom or bust identity). I really wanted her to take the ball to the rim last night, get some lay-ups and drqaw fouls. She Evina (who tried) should have made the Bama really work.

Davis-- I think her issue may be that she is not ready to be THE player. Last year, she was a counterpuncher--the third option who killed you when defenses concentrated on Cedes and Jamie. She still seems to be deferring a lot to Evina and increasingly Zay.

I loved the spunk that Zay and Rae showed last night. Both need some polish to be consistent game changers but they were about the only bright spots last night (with Evina in stretches).

On Evina, I don't think she was sufficiently engaged on the defensive side (though that applies to the whole team). Zay and Rae were the two players who put in effort on the defensive end but they made a lot of positional mistakes which cancelled it all out.

Zay was beat a lot on the defensive end last night and Rae had her share of brake downs to but not as bad. To be fair i must say Westbrook was in a no win situation. As for Meme Holly will need to make a decision on how to use her.

Meme has clearly lost confidence in her shot. In some ways, her hot shooting from the outside in the early season was a little bit of fools gold. Her game is primarily being a lock down defender, a big guard who can hit the boards and she can get to the rim. Her outside shooting to stretch the zone is a a plus. She be our next Alexis Hornbuckle but she seems to have defined herself as a 3-point shooter, more like Shanna Zolman (which is a boom or bust identity). I really wanted her to take the ball to the rim last night, get some lay-ups and drqaw fouls. She Evina (who tried) should have made the Bama really work.

Davis-- I think her issue may be that she is not ready to be THE player. Last year, she was a counterpuncher--the third option who killed you when defenses concentrated on Cedes and Jamie. She still seems to be deferring a lot to Evina and increasingly Zay.

I loved the spunk that Zay and Rae showed last night. Both need some polish to be consistent game changers but they were about the only bright spots last night (with Evina in stretches).

On Evina, I don't think she was sufficiently engaged on the defensive side (though that applies to the whole team). Zay and Rae were the two players who put in effort on the defensive end but they made a lot of positional mistakes which cancelled it all out.

madtownvol : After looking at Holly press conference i have a good feeling she will make a line up change or tinkle with the bench rotation.

I watched the last two games start to finish; two things

1. Holly cannot coach.
2. The "talent" on the court, is, and I am very serious, not good.

Numbers don't lie. We have seen this slow moving train wreck for several years. It is here; the program is mediocre.

Congrats UTAD! Can't wait to see how you kill the Women's Softball team !!!
Let us be real Holly is simply clueless. She does not seem to have the ability to get the best out of players. She looked so confused against Alabama. She has a difficult time figuring out how to make changes on the fly. She is way over her head. Right now they might be third worse team in the SEC, only above Mississippi and Vandy.

Reactions: T.J. and BreatheUT
Let us be real Holly is simply clueless. She does not seem to have the ability to get the best out of players. She looked so confused against Alabama. She has a difficult time figuring out how to make changes on the fly. She is way over her head.

Yet, she has a wall of knowledge and experience sitting with her on the bench.
or is it, behind her.

Are they heard?

Are they trying to be?

For the women's basketball guru's on here, If Holly gets fired, who is candidates to replace her?

I would love my Mom and Dad's friend Wes Moore but I know that isn't happening. Wes and his wife are from Carolina and love being back home near the family at NC State.
Gail Goestenkors

For the women's basketball guru's on here, If Holly gets fired, who is candidates to replace her?

I would love my Mom and Dad's friend Wes Moore but I know that isn't happening. Wes and his wife are from Carolina and love being back home near the family at NC State.

Kara-Lawson.jpg

Reactions: T.J.

VN Store

Back